lee_dewing

one trick ponies
« on: March 04, 2016, 12:03:19 pm »
Now the sun is shining getting calls coming in from website.

Anyone got a good screening system.

Really only want regular monthly accounts.

Have asked new enquiries if they want monthly service  but getting people being more vague with there answers.

Don't want to scare people off as I can see it from their perspective.

But I'm better at cleaning Windows than chatting on the phone.

I'm asking the text the night beforehand on my round for gate keys, so anticipating losing some custies so more keen on hooking new enquiries.

Or do people just charge hefty on first clean?

Have charged double but thinking 3x monthly clean price now to allow for quoting and potentially new customers not turning into regulars.
Thanks lee.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Smurf

Re: one trick ponies
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 12:19:24 pm »
Best just to ask outright "how often do you want them cleaned, is it a one off ?" Then you can usualy tell by their responce if they are one trick ponies or not. Charging high on a one-off/first clean will weeds out the messers for sure and the ones you get will still make you money. Then you can decide afterwards if you drop them or not.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 12:31:44 pm »
Easy peasey.

"You just want a one off yeah?"

Say it just like that.

If they want regular they usually say something like.

"Looking for a regular/reliable/good window cleaner really"

Oh right. How often.........

Boom. Messers sorted. Hasn't let me down yet.

I mainly use it on walk ups.

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 12:37:58 pm »
Easy peasey.

Say it just like that.

Boom indead  ;D

8weekly

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 01:58:21 pm »
Yep, as above. Just nonchalantly ask: "Is it just a one off or are you looking for my regular service?" Any hesitation re: regular is a one off and times price by two/three.

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 02:03:04 pm »
If you charge double then it doesnt really matter which they are as long as youre not going out of your way, in the long run youll pick up regulars

Tom-01

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 02:10:28 pm »
Also if you use GoCardless you can say that's great so before we do the first clean we need you to authorise the direct debit so after each clean (state frequency) you don't  have to worry about remembering to pay us.

lee_dewing

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:31:04 pm »
 ;D

I'll be more direct.

S/he who hesitates will be lost.

Don't want to scare off genuine customers.
But like said, they usually answer
"I'm looking for regular window cleaning service"

Just come off the phone to a potential customer.
Stopped me a month ago said double 1st clean then £16 monthly.

She's missed me as already been in her road again.
Wants me asap because she putting house up for sale.

Will do it but she'll have to wait till next time don't think that will be good enough  ;D

Perfect Windows

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 03:21:52 pm »
We tell everyone it'll be 5-6 weeks before we get to them.

Anyone truly looking for regular says "OK".  The chancers move on.  Then we generally get to them within a week or two.

Vin

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »
Easy peasey.

Say it just like that.

Excellent. Had this last week. But I thought fine if it's priced right and they've been honest with me.

Went down this farm track to a mobile home with 6 upvc windows and two doors about two years old and never been washed. Funny old set up - lots of horses, a horse-jumping ground, old 4 x 4's and some posh gurlies "mucking out" but semi gyppo type.

But seemed genuine - the sort of "happy as pigs in poo" kind of place.

Now normally I would have done that number of windows as a regular without the quarter mile farm track for a tenner so I said £25. "Ah go on then." He said.

Fair do's I had a light day and an hour to spare and took about 40 minutes. What's not to like?
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 05:38:56 pm »
Well done mr gold.

Price right for first clean or one off's and it's a nice addition to the day's work

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 07:37:10 pm »
I had this last week a woman rings me I used to do the house before it was sold its barn conversion,she says to me I'm the new owner blah blah blah how much do you charge so I tells her and she says can you come and just do the top Windows I think we can clean the bottoms from time to time,I just replied with I can do that it will be the same price I've still got to get there get my gear  out the van drive to the next job etc makes you roll up with laughter they've just paid 1.5million for it and they are trying to save what must amount to peanuts to them for getting me to just do the tops,I think once you start offering this kind of service your leaving yourself open to exploitation.

lee_dewing

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 09:20:19 pm »
I had someone say that.

Just do the tops.

When I said no, she looked puzzled and asked why.

I said you wouldn't go into the hairdressers and ask them to give you half a haircut!

She laughed and was a customer for a few years, moved now.

Used the same line on another woman last year but she didn't find it funny.
Her hubbies a black taxi driver, so that explains the lack of a sense of humor  ::)roll

NWH

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 11:18:29 pm »
This time of the year brings new customers but it also brings time wasters too,on the initial clean they say they want it done all year then you turn up on a foggy November morning and they say can we have it quarterly do you think.

lal

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 09:35:52 am »
I had this last week a woman rings me I used to do the house before it was sold its barn conversion,she says to me I'm the new owner blah blah blah how much do you charge so I tells her and she says can you come and just do the top Windows I think we can clean the bottoms from time to time,I just replied with I can do that it will be the same price I've still got to get there get my gear  out the van drive to the next job etc makes you roll up with laughter they've just paid 1.5million for it and they are trying to save what must amount to peanuts to them for getting me to just do the tops,I think once you start offering this kind of service your leaving yourself open to exploitation.

Hi NWH, I've had the same on the odd occasion, i tell them my minimum charge for their house size
stands whether they have the bottom windows cleaned or not, most accept this, the ones that don't
i am not really bothered about, it weeds out the time wasters.

robbo333

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 10:54:25 am »
I get the odd ones that say they want a one off and then when I've finished they want it done regular. Good custies too. Perhaps they are trying me out!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 04:04:33 pm »
I had someone say that.

Just do the tops.

When I said no, she looked puzzled and asked why.

I said you wouldn't go into the hairdressers and ask them to give you half a haircut!

She laughed and was a customer for a few years, moved now.

Used the same line on another woman last year but she didn't find it funny.
Her hubbies a black taxi driver, so that explains the lack of a sense of humor  ::)roll

You being racist?  ;D ;D ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 04:15:16 pm »
Had a couple of walk ups yesterday about 3 o'clock. Both next door neighbours and two and three doors from where my van was so didn't even have to move my van.

First guy was an obvious "non-spending" watch every penny type. Semi-detached house in posh part of Bristol 3 or 4 bed I guess probably valued at £500K - crazy money. Anyway windows were well kept aluminium and hardwood but dirty. So I said £10 for the front four windows and did them.

Second was the neighbour - whole house UPVC.  She said I've got a window cleaner but he only calls every 2 months and they're quite dirty. (They were ok really - OCD I reckon) So I said £25 and did those too.

So it was £35 for 45 mins work which was fine by me.

The one I do regularly is whole house every 8 weeks at £20.

lee_dewing

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 09:33:58 pm »
You being racist?  ;D ;D ;D

Don't get me banned :D