Simon Carter

Connecting water tanks.
« on: April 16, 2006, 01:08:00 pm »
I have a 1000 litre static tank with a submersible pump. It is being fed by two 450 GPD RO's. I want to connect it to a second tank by the taps at the bottom. Any ideas on where I can get the appropriate fittings to join the two
Onwards and Upwards...

H h20

Re: Connecting water tanks.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 01:21:51 pm »
Hi Simon,have a look on here http://www.smithsofthedean.co.uk/IBCs%20&%20Baffled%20Tanks.htm
scroll down and theres all sort of connections,Gaz  ;)

Tim Morton

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 01:28:02 pm »
Hi Simon, I have 2 210L water butts that each had a tap on the bottom. I 1st of all connected the two taps with a short piece of 1/2" hose, but i found that it was very slow at transferring between the two and i ended up having to move the submersible pump from one to the other water butt.

So what i did was to remove the original tap assembly from the water butt's, it was just a screw fitting with a plastic nut on the inside. the thread on the taps were exactly the same size as a 22mm water tank connector from B&Q. Dont get the brass one, it was too big, get the one designed for plastic pipe. Put the 22mm tank connectors onto the two tanks and then join it up with 22mm plastic pipe with inserts on each end, and voila, your tanks are connected via 22mm plastic pipe and will have good flow between them.

Ps, dont think of using copper pipe to join the tanks if you di your water before filling the tanks, apparently the di water will leach the copper from the pipes and you will end up with leaky pipes!!

Hope this helps.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

Tim Morton

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 02:01:53 pm »
I forgot to say that you might already have a threaded connector on your tanks, if you measure in in inches you will most likely find a threaded connector to fit it and then be able to link it via plastic pipe.
Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 08:41:50 am »
Hi Simon,

If your 1000 litre IBCs are made by Schutz, they will probably have a white polythene spout after the tap, with a bend at the end.  Cut off the bend with a hacksaw, leaving a straight piece about 3 to 4 inches long, with a flange at the tap end.  Hammer a 6" length of ordinary solvent weld inch and a half waste pipe in from the flange end until it's flush with the flange.  It's an interference fit, and won't leak.  Do the same with the spout from the other tank, and you can then join them together using ordinary solvent weld waste fittings.  These are readily available from plumbers' merchants, and much cheaper than special fittings.

Yours, Andrew