mark6765

first commercial quote
« on: April 07, 2006, 09:44:20 am »
Went to price up my first commercial quote today.
It wasnt near any work i had so i wasnt botherd about getting it.
it was only 50 ground floor windows, so i put in a high price to cover my travelling time.
I priced £60.
The other window cleaner does a crap job, but does it for £30.
Dont think i will get the job, and not botherd if i do.
But it was interesting to give the quote and find out what window cleaners in my area are charging for this work.
I earn more on houses than the guy doing it for £30.

David 'Duck' Clare

Re: first commercial quote
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 10:29:02 am »
Hi Ive just done my first commercial quote,

it was for 175 windows at a country club. Basically the cleaners there were charging £120 for the lot. I looked at it and thought it would take most of the day to do and priced £140 (thinking less than i want BUT im still expanding so still reasonable for a days work). The maintenance manager has just called me to say (verbally) i have got the contract and we need to finalise things on manday next week! im chuffed because its a cool contract but it has lead me to think commercial work is underpriced compaired with residential.

That said my petrol costs for the day i  do this club will only be 6 miles (as i only live 3 miles away!) so expenses will be cheap AND i get a free meal at lunch! game on - some of the women that go to this club are hot! the Mrs says she wants to come to 'help' on the first clean.....i think she is checking the competition lol!

David ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 08:02:51 pm »

it was for 175 windows at a country club. Basically the cleaners there were charging £120 for the lot. I looked at it and thought it would take most of the day to do and priced £140 (thinking less than i want BUT im still expanding so still reasonable for a days work). The maintenance manager has just called me to say (verbally) i have got the contract and we need to finalise things on manday next week! im chuffed because its a cool contract but it has lead me to think commercial work is underpriced compaired with residential.

That said my petrol costs for the day i  do this club will only be 6 miles (as i only live 3 miles away!) so expenses will be cheap AND i get a free meal at lunch! game on - some of the women that go to this club are hot! the Mrs says she wants to come to 'help' on the first clean.....i think she is checking the competition lol!

David ;D

You've got me trying to work out which place this is now David   ;D

My guess is Cottesmore.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 06:37:39 am »
I priced a school at £2750.00

The people that did it got paid £750.00

4 storey and a lot of glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob ;D

007 or what

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 08:57:46 am »
hi rob did you get  priced a school at £2750.00

"The people that did it got paid £750.00

4 storey and a lot of glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the job?? "

Ian Rochester

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 08:58:58 am »
A lot of commercial is very much underpriced, we do a fair bit but command a good price.

Recently got asked to quote for a factory window clean, consisted of 36 standard windows along one side but also a big glass office extension with over 200 large panes.

My quote - £200

They are currently paying - £28 (no joke!!) and they were trying to get it cheaper!! :-\

The company doing it at the moment are a fully legit business with probably 20+ vehicles on the road and are not very local so have to travel for the job, apparently it takes two of them about 3 hours.

How do they do it for that price??!?!?!?. ???

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 09:07:01 am »

David ;D

You've got me trying to work out which place this is now David   ;D

My guess is Cottesmore.

Hi Shinner, all ill say is it may be  ;D it was a good guess!. As i said i hope i get this one, its a bit of an odd building but it'll get my name out there.

By the way, are you the bloke with the Rover 75 estate car i saw last week by the big houses in gossops green?

And if you know of any part of crawley that needs a cleaner im all ears as we have just found out we need to have some major work done on the house - so i need to earn quite a bit more going forward

David

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 09:43:24 am »

Hi Shinner, all ill say is it may be  ;D it was a good guess!. As i said i hope i get this one, its a bit of an odd building but it'll get my name out there.

Hey David.
I shouldn't have asked really.  After all, you don't know if I'm some unscrupulous shiner who will turn up and try to get the job for myself.  I have run my business ethically until now and don't intend to change that.  Perhaps I am too ethical.

By the way, are you the bloke with the Rover 75 estate car i saw last week by the big houses in gossops green?

No. Not me.
I have a black Renault Trafic van.  Although I do some work in Crawley, I tend to avoid the areas where the gardens butt up back to back as the only access is through the house.

And if you know of any part of crawley that needs a cleaner im all ears as we have just found out we need to have some major work done on the house - so i need to earn quite a bit more going forward

David

Well most areas in Crawley probably need a regular window cleaner as most window cleaners leave well alone due to the access problems.  I'm not currently in a position to pass on work as I am still re-building my round after losing a couple of largish jobs (change of ownership rather than any flaws on my part) and after losing 40% of it in '04 due to a long illness.
One of the problems in some partds of Crawley are the controlled parking zones as well.  I'm fine in zone A (West Green) but in other areas, I can only work outside 9 - 5 or on Sundays.  Also, I find that it is possible to generally earn more by going a bit outside Crawley as the rates seem a bit lower within the town boundaries - probably due to its working class base.
As you have only just started, I may be able to give you a few pointers on speeding up though - unless you have already been shown by an experienced w/c.  I'm a bit tied up over the next couple of weeks (drought order hearings, school holidays etc) but if you want to meet up after that, you may be surprised at what is possible.