JandS

Van
« on: October 15, 2020, 07:28:39 pm »
What about this........47,500 on clock.

Ford Transit Custom
2015 (65 reg)

2.2 290 LR P/V 5d 99 BHP Aux In-USB-Automatic Windows

Price£10,250 +VAT
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

Re: Van
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 07:48:28 pm »
the miles look alot better thats for sure can you hard ball him down a little more with people going in to lock down ect ect worth a try

JandS

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 07:52:37 pm »
Wil be negotiable with my old van as part ex as well.
There's also a Peugot Expert 2013 plate with 13,000 miles on clock.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 11:53:01 am »
Wil be negotiable with my old van as part ex as well.
There's also a Peugot Expert 2013 plate with 13,000 miles on clock.

great vans but if you drive like a old lady night mare with dpf blocking up apart from that with 13k on the clock it should be new !

JandS

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 02:45:53 pm »
They want £10k though but no VAT.

dd

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 04:40:29 pm »
10K for a 7 year old Expert. They are having a laugh. I would be highly suspicious of the mileage. If genuine it will probably not have done the van any good being used so little or it has done a lot of short journeys.

NWH

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 06:01:15 pm »
I wouldn’t pay 10 grand for a brand new one.

JandS

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 10:14:36 am »
My Expert is 16 years old now and hasn't missed a beat....biggest spend was new clutch 4 years ago......rest has been normal wear and tear costs.

NWH

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 11:53:24 am »
I just don’t see the money in certain vans they are all much for much in the back end tbh,depends how many miles you do so many vans not comfortable to drive on a daily basis.
I’d put the 10 down and get something slightly bigger with more comforts,I’d never get another van without Air-con etc I don’t lease a van I buy one and keep it longer so it ends up owing me nothing.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 01:50:14 pm »
My Expert is 16 years old now and hasn't missed a beat....biggest spend was new clutch 4 years ago......rest has been normal wear and tear costs.

Had a 1.6 dispatch for over 5 years, was a great van and didn't owe me a penny. I traded it in for a newer, with less miles 1.6 Scudo (same van) and lost £1750 on what I paid for it. Yes, that's £1750 for over 5 years trouble free service!👍 Does everything I want, has 3 seats, cheap to run, cheap and freely available service/maintenance parts etc.
Don't be fooled into the theory of paying more to lose less, that's only for losers!!👍💪💪

However, the one you quote is well overpriced.
Comfortably Numb!

dd

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 02:29:18 pm »
I have only had my dispatch 15 years. New clutch at 113k.

Ched

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 02:43:44 pm »
They want £10k though but no VAT.
An easy sanity check is to see what 'we buy any van' would give you for it!!!  Obviously it will be a low price but if they say something like £5k then you know the sale price of £10k is a bit ambitious. OK so the dealer is entitled to make a profit same as we buy any van but it gives you a clue. 

JandS

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 05:16:46 pm »
This?   £12,450   no VAT.

Renault Trafic 1.6 dCi 27 Business+ SWB Standard Roof EU6 5dr
FULL SERVICE HISTORY-NO VAT

CAT   2018 (68 reg) Panel Van SWB 19,790 miles 1.6L 120BHP 1 owner Manual Diesel 3 seats

H2GoKent

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 05:46:36 pm »
What about this........47,500 on clock.

Ford Transit Custom
2015 (65 reg)

2.2 290 LR P/V 5d 99 BHP Aux In-USB-Automatic Windows

Price£10,250 +VAT
I have Transit custom and have been pleased with it, I bought it Feb 19 had similar miles and I paid a little less than that, guess it depends on condition service history etc as well, mine had a small scratch or two.
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

markymark

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 07:40:26 pm »
I've been looking to step up to a transit custom/vivaro size van for a month now and found it sparse pickings. A mate has been looking also, and had the same experiences - apparently every man and his dog is after that sized van for delivery work, thanks to covid. All's that left is over-priced crud. Stuff you wouldn't touch for 10k is now going for 12 etc etc.
And I'm tired of emailing and phoning dealers for more info on the vans they have only to find out "It's gone, but I do have this in..." or no further photos other than the 3 or 4 on their site, or "I'll take some and forward them".... followed by no photos.
Or "sorry, I've been mailing someone else for a while and they're viewing it after you - can you wait until they've seen it?"
Pfft. Used van salesmen  ::)roll
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.

Ched

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 08:43:03 pm »
I think vans have gone up by about 25-30% over the last 6 months.
I have seen some 2 year old vans advertised for more than you can buy new (if you shop around)! It's nuts but if you can hold out till things go back to normal I bet there will be a glut of vans kicking about. Plus early next year the London congestion zone will have very high charges for vans that don't comply with Euro6 so vans sold before September 2016 might be cheap?

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 09:21:02 am »
I think vans have gone up by about 25-30% over the last 6 months.
I have seen some 2 year old vans advertised for more than you can buy new (if you shop around)! It's nuts but if you can hold out till things go back to normal I bet there will be a glut of vans kicking about. Plus early next year the London congestion zone will have very high charges for vans that don't comply with Euro6 so vans sold before September 2016 might be cheap?

trust me things wont get better you will get up one morning  and everything will be cheap , now that wales and the north east is in lock down we only need the papers to start print how the economy is going down hill and boom vans will be cheap again , the second hand market is doing well while the new stuff you cant give them away add in brixit looking like some great time ahead

Ched

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 05:39:18 pm »
Just read that Yodel are taking on 2500 self employed delivery drivers. So if that hasn't already pushed van prices up it won't help bring them down. OK so Yodel drivers don't all use vans a lot of them will.

JandS

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 06:13:04 pm »
What about this?......only 36000 on clock....booked a look next week.

Ford Transit Custom
2015 (15 reg)

2.2 270 LR P/V 99 BHP ****RAC APPROVED DEALER****

Price£10,450 +VAT

NWH

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 06:33:23 pm »
What about this take that 10 grand and put it down on a new van of your choice lol.

JandS

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 07:11:02 pm »
I don't want a new van because I will be £10k and still be paying a monthly fee with interest.
Plus I would spend more time trying to keep it looking new....plus I have just bought a brand new VW Golf car for us....it's a week old tomorrow.

zesty

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 07:21:56 pm »
270 won’t carry much weight mate. It’s also the 99bhp which is underpowered for window cleaners with big water tanks.

If you go for a custom, you want at least the 300, 310 or 320. (That’s the weight) you can also get away with the 290 quite easily. But 270 is very low on the payload.

You also really want to try and go for the limited spec. It’s got all the extras you could want, really is worth the extra money!

I’ll be selling my custom soon, it’s a 290 limited, but has done 110k. Full service history, never missed a beat. I’m upgrading to the facelift version and a 320 as need the extra payload really.

JandS

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 07:51:57 pm »
So 900 kg payload.....should be ok with a 500 litre tank then.

NWH

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 08:06:49 pm »
I had that tank in a roughly 100hp van it’s not enough you end up thrashing the arse of it to get it to move,the bigger the van the better it can handle weight with a decent payload.
If you put 500lts in one of these small vans and did any sort of mileage they eat through break pads and tyres for fun.

JandS

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 08:33:37 pm »
I don't travel much more than 5 miles to any work and always start at the nearest so tank is emptying......so first houses say 2 miles away and use say 200 litres so 200kg less already.
Nearly 40% of my work is less than half a mile from home......one day a month I do our Avenue and literally pull down to the front of the drive because 100m won't quite reach either end of Avenue from top of drive.
I do no more than about 5000 miles a year.

JandS

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 08:35:22 pm »
Thanks for all the input as well guys and gals because my knowledge of cars/vans is very limited...I just want to drive them.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2020, 09:35:11 pm »
Transit Customs are going for stupid money just now so you won’t get much bang for your buck at the moment in the second hand market. You will get a cheaper Vivaro, Dispatch etc but over 4 years or so they will cost you about the same when depreciation is taken into account.
e.g Cusom might cost you 15k, in 4 years time with your low mileage it will be worth 10k.
Vivaro or similar with same mileage, spec, will maybe cost 12k in 4 years time will be worth 7k. So both have effectively cost 5k over 4 years. Personally I would rather drive the Custom for 4 years.

spudd

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2020, 09:45:07 pm »
Kind of off topic but haven’t any of you guys that struggle with guttless vans when pulling weight considered getting them re-mapped? Not for speed but for torque?

I’ve had my connect L2 re mapped benefits are. Better fuel and honestly pulls like a train up hills full loaded with 400l tank , electric reels, gutter vac and all the trimmings?

I do not trash my van at all actually the opposite but when it comes to torque it’s second to none.

Just a thought :)

JandS

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 10:45:31 pm »
How much to re map........presume that because you can re map the engines are the same but with lower or higher torque......so why make some less powerful than others if the engine is the same..why not make them usable to there maximum capability?

NWH

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2020, 12:05:57 am »
Be careful what vehicle you remapp especially a van you’ll knacker the drive shaft if it’s not done properly.

Spruce

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 07:42:38 am »
Be careful what vehicle you remapp especially a van you’ll knacker the drive shaft if it’s not done properly.

........ and the clutch.

It's also classed as a modification and will affect insurance costs.
Now some might say that they don't need to tell the insurance company because the insurance company will never find out.

However, ecu's are becoming more sophisticated. For example, my customer tells me that the latest VW/Skoda/Seat ecus have blue tooth connectivity. They can scan it for modifications without plugging a connector into the obd2 port.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 07:54:00 am »
Some vans will cope with it better if they have the same engine they are basically just de tuned out the factory over the more powerful one,I wouldn’t tune a 90-100hp engine to 130-140hp the mechanic I use said they normally have a different clutch and stronger driveshafts. 
Mines going in for a driveshaft this week but it’s done 60-70000 on the remap before any problems occurred so that’s fine with me.

NWH

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2020, 08:00:16 am »
Some companies will just stick an aggressive map on it that’ll cause problems like driveshaft and clutch,if you do one I’d get them to do an economical map with increase in torque.
With some maps 1-2 gear are near enough unusable  especially in wet or damp conditions,front set of tyres 2-3 times a year if you drive it hard.

spudd

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2020, 08:57:52 am »
Some valid comments there.

Obviously if your gonna re map a older van it’s comes with its problems, same as buying a van that’s had a hard life and maxing it’s payload out.

Think it’s more of a personal preference, modifying any engine on any vehicles come with its risks but if you do your research and the re map is done properly then you shouldn’t have an issue.

NWH

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2020, 09:37:33 am »
Yeah you shouldn’t have an issue but a lot of garages offer a map and it’s done via a WiFi connection and laptop to a company uploading the map from the other end of the country and not specifically for the individual van,if you can better to get it done somewhere where they have a rolling road.

dd

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2020, 10:41:31 am »
Some vans will cope with it better if they have the same engine they are basically just de tuned out the factory over the more powerful one,I wouldn’t tune a 90-100hp engine to 130-140hp the mechanic I use said they normally have a different clutch and stronger driveshafts. 
Mines going in for a driveshaft this week but it’s done 60-70000 on the remap before any problems occurred so that’s fine with me.
Why did you get your van re-mapped? You extol the virtue of having a larger van to cope with the weight of your tank more easily, but end up re-mapping it.

NWH

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2020, 11:08:59 am »
I remapped it as it still had low mileage and the same 2.5 engine as the 174hp van originally it was a 130hp,I have the same Map as the 174 does and I haven’t had any issues as it was done right.
Everything that has needed to be replaced on my van had happened more or less at the mileage it is expected,clutch-Turbo,driveshaft on the way etc the 130 was fine but with the map the torque difference is night and day I can be in 3rd 4th just put my foot down and it picks up,it’ll do 60-70 up a fairly steep hill with a full tank before I’d be having to change down through the gears all the time at low speeds.

dd

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 11:37:27 am »
I remapped it as it still had low mileage and the same 2.5 engine as the 174hp van originally it was a 130hp,I have the same Map as the 174 does and I haven’t had any issues as it was done right.
Everything that has needed to be replaced on my van had happened more or less at the mileage it is expected,clutch-Turbo,driveshaft on the way etc the 130 was fine but with the map the torque difference is night and day I can be in 3rd 4th just put my foot down and it picks up,it’ll do 60-70 up a fairly steep hill with a full tank before I’d be having to change down through the gears all the time at low speeds.
Sorry, but that is really not a good advert for VW.

The only one of those things I have replaced on my dispatch was the clutch at 113k. IMO opinion VW is way overhyped. I am not saying Citreon are great, but they finished several places above VW in the latest Which car reliability survey.

Ched

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2020, 12:13:07 pm »
Sorry, but that is really not a good advert for VW.

The only one of those things I have replaced on my dispatch was the clutch at 113k. IMO opinion VW is way overhyped. I am not saying Citreon are great, but they finished several places above VW in the latest Which car reliability survey.
No idea if it's the same but years ago VW sold components so you just bought the bit you needed not a complete assembly. i.e. a VW golf a CV joint failed so just replace the joint. A citroen had to have a complete new drive shaft at twice the cost.

dd

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2020, 12:39:13 pm »
You can buy a cv joint for a citreon dispatch.

NWH

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2020, 12:57:50 pm »
Ask any good mechanic about french vans and when you’re driving about see how many 10-15 year old french van you see,it won’t be many.

dd

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2020, 02:07:42 pm »
I bought my dispatch new 15 years ago. I have spent a lot less maintaining it than you have your transporter.

My sister in law's mechanic recently advised her against buying another VW due to reliability issues with the brand (which she was not going to do anyway because of the problems she had with her current VW car, which she had from new and was only 4 years old).

This is borne out by VW's low ranking in Which magazine's latest car reliability survey.

IMO VW are over rated, over priced, not particularly reliable and prone to faults.

I will concede though, they are nice to drive.

NWH

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2020, 02:35:17 pm »
How many miles do you do in the van a week.

NWH

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2020, 02:40:41 pm »
Everything that goes wrong on my van I have done I speak to no end of window cleaners that drive their van about with endless things that need doing but they don’t bother having them repaired,there’s a big difference between getting in and driving a 120000 mile van that’s been maintained and one that’s not been.
If you think you are going to carry a lot of weight everyday go down country lanes and tracks fit for tractors things will break,if you potter around a town in a van and hardly go anywhere of course it’ll last the main problem with most will be starter Alternator  and battery problems,and that’s coz they don’t do the miles.

dd

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2020, 03:42:10 pm »
The dispatch is 15 years old in February and I have done approx 126k miles in it. Only major expense was cam belt at 9 years old and clutch last year.

Apart from that everything else pretty OK. No breakdowns. 2.0 hdi engine pulls 1/2 ton of water no problem.

Unfortunately I think most newer vans will be more prone to issues.

NWH

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2020, 04:02:18 pm »
So you’ve done roughly 8500 a year I do closer to 20000 you have to judge makes and models of any vehicle overall you will always get what they call a Friday car-van.

dd

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2020, 04:23:38 pm »
How many miles have you done in total in your Transporter?

I am not talking about Friday afternoon cars, VW (along with Audi, other German makes and Volvo)  do not come out well in reliabilty surveys.

NWH

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2020, 06:41:48 pm »
The french make good wine and cheese and onions through and string as far as vans go I’d never buy a french one,speak to any good mechanic.

EandM

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2020, 08:29:07 pm »
The french make good wine and cheese and onions through and string as far as vans go I’d never buy a french one,speak to any good mechanic.

I'm around a number of people in the motor trade and with the exception of Renault, that seems to be universally despised, I've never heard any of them complain about French vans.

All of our motor factors deliver using Berlingos and Partners that knock up 50,000+ miles a year with few issues.
It used to be Escort vans and a brief go at the Transit Connect but about 15 years ago the French won and have been the van of choice ever since. As a Ford fan I found that a bit of a shock.

We used to deal with a supplier at Cullompton who uneventfully ran a Talbot Express van for 440,000 miles.

France is exceedingly good at making diesel engines that last.  The 2.0 DW10, found in the Berlingo & Partner, is a near as bombproof as you'll ever find. They can often be found in taxis pushing 500k miles.

Similarly, the French are very good at making cars that last. We've had a dozen or more XM, CX, C5 & 406 over the last 30 years all of which have managed upward of 200k without any major issues. The fact that they use the same mechanicals in their vans inspires great confidence.

Dave Willis

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2020, 09:40:03 pm »
BMW used to use french diesel engines, in return Peugeot put the BMW  petrol engine in some of their cars. It was the Mini cooper engine, so bad that BMW were taken to court in USA.
I had one, didn’t get past 30K miles. Utter crap.
Sons’ transporter never made it past 70k either.
Overrated and overpriced German rubbish.

EandM

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2020, 10:04:34 pm »
BMW used to use french diesel engines, in return Peugeot put the BMW  petrol engine in some of their cars. It was the Mini cooper engine, so bad that BMW were taken to court in USA.
I had one, didn’t get past 30K miles. Utter crap.
Sons’ transporter never made it past 70k either.
Overrated and overpriced German rubbish.

BMW only used PSA diesels in the Mini as it was the only Front Wheel Drive application in the range and this replaced the Toyota 1.4d previously used in the R53 Mini.

The 1.6d was initially a rare miss from PSA and had some really stupid design issues - the oil ways carbonised, the turbo was starved of oil and died, amongst other things.
They did do a lot of work to improve it, though it was hopeless in the Ford application. My wife had one in a Focus and although really nice to drive it did suffer from reliability issues.
From about 2009 they seem to be very good having fixed all the original bodges that should never have been there.
The same problems affected the Mini Cooper D for the first year too. However, BMW also did a ton of work on it and drastically improved the mpg and the reliability too. From 2008-2010 they were pretty good and PSA sold them to Volvo  & Mazda
BMW then ditched the PSA 1.6 for a smaller version of their own N47 diesel - which was really good right up until the timing chain broke - twice in my brother in laws case.

Dave Willis

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2020, 06:52:48 am »
It was their petrol engine that was so bad.
I think the Transporter engine that failed was a five cylinder VW diesel.
VW reliability is a myth.
Most manufacturers seem capable of producing lemons, even the Germans but clever marketing methods have in the past hidden this.
Quick tap into google soon brings it up.

NWH

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2020, 10:14:17 am »
It’s not a myth at all the way they drive and you have to look on the “whole” longevity thing over years and across the board not just the odd story you’ve heard,you pay 13-15k for a reason you also pay 25-40k for a reason I think most consumers would have had enough by now or not gone back and had the same brand if it wasn’t the case.
Drive a few different makes and then make a decision it’s like the old saying you can’t make a silk purse out of a pigs ear,or you can’t buy taste 🤣.

NWH

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2020, 10:17:54 am »
Gardiner poles expensive for an extreme ? I don’t think so,do they last as long as a different manufacturers heavier pole no but are they 100% better without doubt.
Comparing a VW to something at  half the cost is like comparing apples to oranges,it’s like saying a Ferrari is crap coz you can’t afford one.

Dave Willis

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2020, 10:25:08 am »
You wouldn’t buy a Ferrari for reliability though or as a works vehicle.

I need a van that hauls a large load, goes from a to b without breaking down for the minimum outlay. That’s it really.

NWH

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2020, 01:32:53 pm »
I need a bit more comfort Dave sometimes I’m doing a fair few miles in a week. 

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2020, 10:22:45 pm »
Just read that Yodel are taking on 2500 self employed delivery drivers. So if that hasn't already pushed van prices up it won't help bring them down. OK so Yodel drivers don't all use vans a lot of them will.

been there and done this yodel were dhl and we had 23 transits , 6 six 7,5 tonners  and 2 artics  in there as service partners for 10 years , made some very good money times then dhl bought back the service partnerships , sold the full package to yodel

and this is where it  fell apart we got out 2 years before this happened  . the rates  are poop and lads are flogging the guts out to make 100 pounds aday after costs , some guys i know are doing 200 miles aday and  12 hour shifts making 80-100 pounds after tax and fuel this is with out any break downs

Ched

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2020, 10:42:18 pm »

been there and done this yodel were dhl and we had 23 transits , 6 six 7,5 tonners  and 2 artics  in there as service partners for 10 years , made some very good money times then dhl bought back the service partnerships , sold the full package to yodel

and this is where it  fell apart we got out 2 years before this happened  . the rates  are poop and lads are flogging the guts out to make 100 pounds aday after costs , some guys i know are doing 200 miles aday and  12 hour shifts making 80-100 pounds after tax and fuel this is with out any break downs
I bet that's not how Yodel are advertising it though!!! I bet they will be saying 'earn £200 a day' flexible hrs etc.....