Spruce

George on windows tablet
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:56:59 am »
Hi all. Please may I ask who is successfully running George on a Windows tablet and of so, what tablet do you recommend?

Can you also back the program on the tablet up to the computer at home?

George works fine for what we need. I can't justify the monthly cost of having the program in the cloud and the cost of a contract phone constantly connected to the internet.
Thanks.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

LBWCS

Re: George on windows tablet
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 11:40:51 am »
Before I went onto aworka I used a links windows tablet. Did the job fine and they are so cheap

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 12:01:55 pm »
Before I went onto aworka I used a links windows tablet. Did the job fine and they are so cheap

Thanks. I saw a previous post that you used a Linx8.

If you don't mind me asking;

What made you go to Aworka?

What phone contract do you have with what size internet package? I'm asking because I haven't a clue when it comes to this sort of thing.
I currently run a pay as you go phone which I use to send the odd text, more Whatapp messages when connected to home wifi, make a couple of phone calls a month and take a couple of work related photos.

Thanks.

Ched

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 12:11:36 pm »
Buy a phone outright. You can get a great android phone for about £150-£200 (Rugged ones are about £120 on Amazon but not sure on brands) and a sim only deal say from PlusNet - unlimited calls and text and 5Gb of data for £6 a month on a 1 month contract. If you find 5Gb of data isn't enough ( I would be surprised if you just use Awoka or other similar app that 5Gb isn't more than enough) then it's only a 1 month contract so you can change to a different contract once you actually know your usage.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 12:39:53 pm »
Buy a phone outright. You can get a great android phone for about £150-£200 (Rugged ones are about £120 on Amazon but not sure on brands) and a sim only deal say from PlusNet - unlimited calls and text and 5Gb of data for £6 a month on a 1 month contract. If you find 5Gb of data isn't enough ( I would be surprised if you just use Awoka or other similar app that 5Gb isn't more than enough) then it's only a 1 month contract so you can change to a different contract once you actually know your usage.

Thanks. I've always purchased my  phone direct.  I can add data to my current pay as you go 'contact' although I do need to update my phone to a larger storage capacity.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 05:44:31 pm »
I've a linx tablet too. It's sticky back velcro'd to the back of the drivers sun visor so when I pull visor down the days list is there at a glance. I back up to a usb stick that has dual connections , both micro usb and standard size so can backup / update to the home pc and the tablet easily.

combat1

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 07:07:55 pm »
Hi Spruce
Hope you are ok.
I used George for years and then bit the bullet and joined Aworka.
My main reason was that I coupled it in with using Gocardless.
Its worked so well.
Easy to swop over, easy to use and brilliant for debt control.
In Covid it probably saved me, my outstanding debt figure was reduced so much.
I have saved time as well as postage, no statements.
Also use the mobile app which is so easy and allows me to do my ‘admin’ before getting home.
Hope this helps. Take care mate.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 02:03:44 pm »
 Sim only £10 a month with Smarty for me. Owned by Three. Unlimited calls & texts & 30gb data. 1 month contract.

And I know you don’t wanna hear it Spruce, but aworka for £12 inc vat is fully justified compared to George imo. That’s probably less than the price of one easy job a month. George was great in it’s day but is undeniably so dated now even on a tablet. Pocket George is still on a Palm for Pete’s sake!

Trial aworka. Takes some getting used to but the ability to use the planner & drag & drop jobs is so much better. The phone app is great, you just sync up when you want. Job done. Invoices etc look so much better. Ability for text integration through Textmarketer or similar. GoCardless integration. Prompt support. It ‘s not perfect but not far off & so much better than George.

Ched

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 03:08:23 pm »
Trial aworka. Takes some getting used to but the ability to use the planner & drag & drop jobs is so much better. The phone app is great, you just sync up when you want. Job done. Invoices etc look so much better. Ability for text integration through Textmarketer or similar. GoCardless integration. Prompt support. It ‘s not perfect but not far off & so much better than George.
How much is Awoka as it just says from £12 (inc vat) on their website?
Can it use your phones sms system (take advantage of free sms in contract)?
The site doesn't seem to show GoCardless, is that a new feature.

Sorry for all the questions but most of these apps don't seem to have much detail on what they can actually do just a basic overview. That said Awoka is about the only 1 to have 6 week free trial. So might be worth installing just to have a play.
Cheers for any help.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 03:56:23 pm »
£12 inc vat for single user, extra £6 inc vat for employees (so they can have their own app & planner).

No you can’t use your inclusive texts on your phone contract unfortunately, only to reply to texts sent out.

GoCardless was integrated some time back now & it’s how aworka takes your monthly subscription.

Trial it. Chris is very helpful.

Ched

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 04:08:16 pm »
£12 inc vat for single user, extra £6 inc vat for employees (so they can have their own app & planner).

No you can’t use your inclusive texts on your phone contract unfortunately, only to reply to texts sent out.

GoCardless was integrated some time back now & it’s how aworka takes your monthly subscription.

Trial it. Chris is very helpful.
Thanks very much for the info. I will give it a go, cheers.

richard connett

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 07:47:26 pm »
I use a surface go with George and it’s faultless . Used a lynx for a bit but it was a bit buggy . You get what you pay for and the surface go is an excellent tablet in its own right

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 06:59:40 am »
I use a surface go with George and it’s faultless . Used a lynx for a bit but it was a bit buggy . You get what you pay for and the surface go is an excellent tablet in its own right

Thank you. I do see you had a Linx 10 a couple of years ago and then had this Surface Go for the past year.

For me working with my son, George, although outdated, still works fine for what we need. I don't sent out texts or work with Gocardless. I don't have a credit card reader. I don't have Data on my phone.

I'm an old Dinosaur very quickly coming to the end of my working life so find it difficult to step back into a young man's world like I would have done years ago.

My SLX22 pole is 9 years old and needs replacing now.  I know my next SLX22 will outlive me.  ;D

richard connett

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 06:09:22 pm »
Same for me really , I’ve got two vans running at full capacity and I just don’t need anything else from a bit of software to keep me on track and produce invoices . 
The surface go is ready as soon as you switch it on and I found that It’s much better at emails etc . 

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 05:17:26 pm »
For backing it up.   Set the backup to upload to a onedrive folder.  When home it connects to my WiFi and syncs with any computer I have linked to the onedrive account.

No faffing, and does it all automatically.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 07:13:21 am »
Thanks guys for all your input.

I purchased a new used Windows Surface Go and loaded George onto that. I've had it up and running for nearly 3 weeks and it works fine for what I want from it.

What I like is that I have everything to hand where Pocket George was very limited in the info I had on PDA.

Thanks again.

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 07:30:49 am »
I always really liked George and in lots of ways i prefer its simplicity over the app based softwares.

I tried in on a windows tablet but it was really awkward to use.

If i didnt have go cardless on any need for the intergrated maps i would stick with printed worksheets with george.

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 08:29:34 am »
I always really liked George and in lots of ways i prefer its simplicity over the app based softwares.

I tried in on a windows tablet but it was really awkward to use.

If i didnt have go cardless on any need for the intergrated maps i would stick with printed worksheets with george.

I appreciate that every windie's needs will be different. George is very basic but it works for us. I don't use Go-Cardless so I don't need the integration more up to date software options offer.

I might look at a keyboard accessory in the future.

richard connett

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 04:56:32 pm »
I’d get a keyboard Spruce
The official accessory from Microsoft is £99 but probably worth it
You can get a Bluetooth one from other company’s on amazon for around £25-30