jmartin.1985

Pressure Washing Patio's & Driveways
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:29:09 pm »
I am currently unemployed, looking to go self employed. I have been looking into pressure washing domestic patio's and drive ways and restoring them back to new condition. I have about £1000 to spend on equipment and at the moment I can use my old mans van to get around the local area. I was just wondering what you guys recommended. From what I see it is a relatively easy process of cleaning, sanding and then sealing.

Here is what I have my eye on:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/13-HP-PETROL-PRESSURE-WASHER-2-YEAR-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ270520568165QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item3efc484965

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMMERCIAL-FLAT-ROTARY-SURFACE-CLEANER-WHIRLAWAY-18_W0QQitemZ220337479007QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item334d231d5f

Will the above do the job? Is there anything you recommend?

I thought seeing as the above pressure washer was petrol driven and able to suck from a tank I could work without electricity or a hose and store a water tank in the van. It would be ideal for when the customers are at work and cannot be at home during the day.

I am also interested to know weather you think there is a great market for this line of work. Perhaps its just something people are looking for during the spring and summer months? It would be great to hear from someone who has experience in this.

Any ideas on the best and cheapest sealers available and how best to apply them?
Is there a process for weed prevention that I could charge extra for?

Thanks for your help guys :)

stalwart

Re: Pressure Washing Patio's & Driveways
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:30:24 pm »
Have a good look at all the posts on pressure washing drives etc. TBH a grand wont get you much theres alot more to get than what you've listed there ;)
Research is the key ;)
Been there,seen it,done it,just cant remember when

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:29:07 pm »
Hi James

Give me a buzz on 01670 716411

John

jontywillow1

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 08:55:00 pm »
Hi James

Give me a buzz on 01670 716411

John

alright mate do you have any rotary surface cleaners for sale used or new and what make and spec r they?

stevehinnis

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:13:13 pm »
That setup looks fine but the amount of water you need to do driveways wouldn’t be enough contained in your van. You also need a water bowser from B+Q which will be filled from the custies water supply, and the hose from your pressure washer will draw water from this. The reason is that the amount of water coming from the custies water supply isn’t enough.
Pressure washer power doesn’t just rely on psi,but the flow of litres per minute. The higher the flow the better the washer.One more thing when you buy off eBay, don’t destroy the packaging as if you have any problems they will ask to return it in original boxes.
Steve.

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:25:35 pm »
Steve is right but I use a council wheelie bin which cost me £20 and I have put a ballcock in it so that when it fills up it stops before overflowing (easy to do)!!

stevehinnis

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:36:02 pm »
Twenty quid is a lot cheaper than a B+ Q water butt.
Steve.

jmartin.1985

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:33:58 pm »
Can you run a hose straight to the pressure washer or is a water container recommended? I think you may have already covered this Steve. Is this what you mean about the customers water supply not being enough? I could fit a container in the van and use Skywalkers ballcock idea. All I would have to do then is supply my own extension hose to keep the tank topped up.

Nice ballcock idea Skywalker. Thats also probably one of the only bowsers to have wheels!

davep

jmartin.1985

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 08:10:10 pm »
I have a 400ltr tank in the van and connect custys water supply to that  ;)

Do you constantly keep topping it up or do you use a ballcock system? I found this quite interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Caravan-Water-Container-for-a-Super-Pitch-aquaroll_W0QQitemZ170340811816QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item27a91a8428

Shame I can't find one bigger!

davep

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 08:31:34 pm »
It has one, you have to wait every now and then for it to fill up a bit but works well

stevehinnis

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 10:17:19 pm »
I always use the custies water.Ive never had anyone mind. Place your bowser near the custies water supply and using a hose start filling it. Your pressure washer will come with a thick plastic hose with a filter on the end of it. When the bowser is nearly full submerge the thick hose from the washer into it. It will then draw the maximum amount of flow; compared to the flow from the water tap it will be much higher. Also because the pw isn’t connected directly to the custies water supply there is no risk of back pressure going into their pipes. After  a bit of practice you will get the hang of where to place your hoses and equipment. One more thing, in freezing weather don’t let your pw freeze as it will crack the pump.And dont worry about your bowser overflowing,everything gets wet anyway.
Steve.

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 01:12:27 pm »
just been loking at one in b&q its a homelite washer £159 its just connected to the custies main water supply looks good and has a solution container aswell see wat u think

BDCS

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 02:01:13 pm »
I'd stay on the dole if I were you - the immigrants do well out of it

richywilts

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 05:45:10 pm »
haha BDCS (carl) i seen that u had posted on this thread n thought carl always offers help to people then read ya comment!!!!
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

BDCS

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 06:59:04 pm »
I was just pointing out that I personally don't consider now to be a good time to start any new venture and rely on it for a sustained income. I would consider 3 years to sensibly set up and establish a client base and to learn the tricks of what works and what dos'nt with the advertising. A good deal can be learnt by viewing old posts on kit and we have been over soooo many times what kit people use and why you would'nt buy chinese carp and expect it to last working it day in day out.
 Here's a list of what I have

Tech clean 250 - honda 13hp, interpump with no gearbox, 250 bar @ 15 ltrs/min
run from 120 ltr wheely bin with bottom fittings plumbed in (positive pump supply) and high flow ball valve
Tech clean FSC 18"
Tech clean wall float
Turbo nozzle
3x15m hoses (45 in total) all with QR and can be coupled together
7m telescopic lance with quick release so any nozzle can be used
Drain hose rated to use on the pressure washer
Hot box
solids pump run from the pressure washer
Various brooms, holed buckets etc etc etc

This I would consider the basics of a pressure washing business, people will argue they don't have or need all this and others will say you need more. I also have a fully kitted drain van which runs out at about £30k, WFP window kit, Carpet cleaning kit and I also do some fibreglass flat roofing - these usually keep me busy during the week and every weekend during the summer is taken up with the missus's bouncy castle firm. I was on shift doing drives on the days off at first and then went part time before going full time about 2 years ago - 7 seasons behing me and almost paid for all the kit.

So with all due respect if you don't have the motivation - stay on the dole (original comment )
Richy - I must have been in a different mood when I replied last, did you pass ?

stalwart

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 10:09:42 pm »
Have to agree with you on that BDCS ;)

creighton foyle

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 06:11:28 pm »
bdcs i just found tech clean on google ( louth ?)  their equipment prices look competitive , how do you rate their after sales service ?.

drive surgeon

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 07:08:40 pm »
jan is good  ;)

BDCS

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 10:57:46 pm »
I look after my own kit as I am an engineer by trade but I have never had any grief with spares or any of the kit. I've run it for six years now and every year I change the unloader and probably every other the valves, engine and pump oil twice each season.

kordun

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 11:44:14 pm »
guys what sealers do you use and how much do you charge per sq metre

drive surgeon

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 12:51:52 pm »
i dont bother sealing anymore its time consuming, cant get the right weather and you have comebacks unless you do a perfect job everytime. and even the best sealants dont last as long as they shud.

BDCS

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 05:04:01 pm »
Resiblock or tech clean or PICS

Deep Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 09:11:03 pm »
What if the customer is on a water meter,do they not expect you to use your own water.Also i have noticed that the hose with the filter on,that you use to draw from a tank are not very long on the P/W i have seen on ebay.....what if the patio you are cleaning is a fair distance away and you need to draw from the tank on the van,because of the said short draw hose you would need a very long hose with the lance on...would you not lose pressure?There is another thing that confuses me( i'm easily confused ::) ) , most people on here say you need to get  a 15lpm P/S minimum.If you need to draw fom a tank on the van or a bowser trailer,this would not last very long at 15lpm or more.I hope this all makes sense........cheers....dave.
David.
Owner of Deep Cleaning Solutions.
Expert in Web Design & SEO
www.rocketwebsitedesigners.co.uk

BDCS

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 10:44:58 pm »
How many questions  :o
Diesel is expensive - why hump water about ?
I use a wheely bin plumbed up with the hoses out of the bottom giving a positive supply which aids pump life, the wheely bin fills when you stop which will allow you to work when the hose supply is slightly less than 15lts/min. A wheely bin is easily mobile allowing you to move the kit about which allows you to have less hose - I have 45m but rarely use this. You will not notice any pressure loss with this length of high pressure hose.
A cubic metre of water will last 66 mins @ 15 ltrs/min if you don't stop for anything so if you work an 8 hour day and don't stop you'll use about £20 in water.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 11:00:45 am »
For every 100 feet of hose you lose 28psi!!!

Rob ;D

BDCS

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 01:05:47 pm »
or 0.77% @ 3600 psi. Whats the loss of flow then ? :P I don't know and no I can't be bothered to work it out anyway lunch over and I'm off to clean a grease stain from a concrete drive. How will I manage without that 28 psi  ::) ::)

stalwart

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 09:38:15 am »
or 0.77% @ 3600 psi. Whats the loss of flow then ? :P I don't know and no I can't be bothered to work it out anyway lunch over and I'm off to clean a grease stain from a concrete drive. How will I manage without that 28 psi  ::) ::)

dont lose sleep over that now  ;D