Mike Roper

Tufting again.
« on: March 06, 2008, 10:57:27 am »
I finally got some time to mess about with a sample of tufted carpet to try and retuft an area so I could remove some bleach marks on a fitted one.
The primary backing is a very fine almost unnoticable felt which originally the tufts were sewn through.When you pull a tuft out it has a hard bit of latex on the bottom .Is it ok to latex this directly onto the felt or does it have to be sewn back into it?This would be tricky with the hard latex on it.Would you just dip the base of the tuft into latex or spread it onto the felt area needing repaired.
Mike

tony harrison

Re: Tufting again.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:02:30 pm »
Hi Mike,

That is exactly how I was shown how to do it by a carpet repairer. Leave tufts a little proud and when the latex has gone off trim with knapping shears.

Regards Tony

Mike Roper

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 02:38:06 pm »
Hi Tony,
Do you mean just stick the tufts onto the felt or try and sew them in?
Thanks Mike

tony harrison

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 08:27:52 pm »
Hi Mike,

The way he demonstrated it to me was hold the tuft with tweezers as close to the bottom as possible,
dip it in the latex and firmly push it onto and if possible into the primary backing.

Of course if the repair was close to the edge of the carpet you could remove the backing re weave it in and latex the backing , but sod law it says it will be in the middle of the carpet.

Regards Tony

Mike Roper

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:08:38 pm »
Thanks Tony.