bobbyboy

Need a new van.
« on: March 19, 2024, 08:58:39 pm »
I've had a hiace for the last 15 years and it's time for a newer van.
Should I go for a Proace (new shape or older?) or any recommendations for a 500l tank.
Is a transit custom any good? Also looking at Expert and Dispatch but not sure if they would let as long as my hiace.
Sorry for the rambling....

DJW

Re: Need a new van.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 10:39:02 pm »
Nothing will last like your Hiace. Had mine 17 years.
Most of the new vans roll out of the same factory these days pretty much. If you get one badged as a Toyota you can get 10 year warranty even though it’s basically a Citroen.
Fords have problems so it seems.  No vans come out of Japan now.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 12:13:25 am »
I would love a Hi - ace - FIL picked up a 12 plate last year - its like new !
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NBwcs

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 08:14:17 pm »
Ive never driven one but you will struggle to find anyone saying anything negative about the Hiace, it stands head and shoulders above other vans from the review point of view, such a shame they don't make it anymore, why on earth did they stop?

DJW

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 10:18:14 pm »
Emissions I think.
Most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 08:00:56 am »
Should I go for a Proace (new shape or older?) or any recommendations for a 500l tank.
Is a transit custom any good? Also looking at Expert and Dispatch but not sure if they would let as long as my hiace.

Any van will last 15 years from new if you don't do much mileage and get it serviced every year.look around at what vans are still in the road 15-20 years later...my neighbour has a 19 year old Ford connect.still going strong....
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 09:08:09 am »

Any van will last 15 years from new if you don't do much mileage and get it serviced every year.look around at what vans are still in the road 15-20 years later...my neighbour has a 19 year old Ford connect.still going strong....

My iLoad had a prang last summer and at 11/12 years old I was thinking shall I replace
or not.

I've repaired it as a Cat S and have decided that I want it to 'see me out' workwise.

I'm hoping to get another three to five years from it and am consciously reducing mileage and driving more sedately.

I was getting through a tank of fuel every three weeks at about 420/440 miles. Now I refill every calendar month at about 470/500.

Same amount of work.
It's a game of three halves!

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 10:43:38 am »
All newer vans are unreliable because they keep shoving more and more bits on them for the emissions. I'd just get another older van with a simple engine like a 1.9d transporter.

dd

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 05:03:05 pm »
I have an 18 year old dispatch on 150k owned from new and plan to keep it a while longer. If I replaced it with a new dispatch it would be nothing like my old one.

Old vans have less tech which makes them more reliable.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 06:03:09 pm »
I have an 18 year old dispatch on 150k owned from new and plan to keep it a while longer. If I replaced it with a new dispatch it would be nothing like my old one.

It's nice to have a heated drivers seat
for winter and air con for the hot summer days.in fact I couldn't go back to driving a van without air con now.
price higher/work harder!

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 06:09:42 pm »

It's nice to have a heated drivers seat
for winter and air con for the hot summer days.in fact I couldn't go back to driving a van without air con now.

If you are sat in the van you aren’t earning 😂😂

zesty

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2024, 06:10:52 pm »
All newer vans are unreliable because they keep shoving more and more bits on them for the emissions. I'd just get another older van with a simple engine like a 1.9d transporter.

Blank EGR

Remove guts from DPF

Remap

Be happy  ;D

On a serious note, I really wish all van manufacturers made DPF regens user controlled. I know some new vans do, but it would save a lot of issues if they just all had the option to manually do a regen.

windowswashed

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2024, 07:06:53 pm »
Having a heated windscreen along with air con is a lovely bonus

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2024, 06:50:32 am »
Having a heated windscreen along with air con is a lovely bonus

The only vehicle I ever had with both was when I was a  'Sales Director' - a Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E.

I wouldn't want a van without aircon. I think it's been pretty standard for the last 10 years and at least an option for about 15 years or so.
It's a game of three halves!

Always shining

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2024, 07:52:53 am »
Sierra Saphire - that’s a blast from the past!

tlwcs

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2024, 10:38:25 am »
Sierra Saphire - that’s a blast from the past!
2000 E is the good bit