Suffolkcleaners

Re: 60k a year and skint!
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2024, 06:49:18 pm »
A couple of articles have popped up this week where families on £60,000 income  are struggling to live due to high mortgage payments and the cost of living.

Shocking really. Wonder if they have a window cleaner!

I bet they all have new iPhones, full Sky TV package and eat 2 or 3 takeaways a week.

Some people just have no clue how to run their finances, they could earn £200k a year and still be skint.

Before getting married I ran a car and a motorbike. Sold the car to put towards deposit. When we married, sold the motorbike and got a car again.

Did an extra job on Saturdays in a hardware shop to save money.

No TV for a year until my parents gave us their old one and we could afford the license fee.

Honeymoon in the Brecon Beacons borrowing dad's car.

Packed lunches and a thermos flask (still do)

Jumpers for goalposts, lived in a dustbin.

Point being - easy to waste money on distractions -

Sacrifices.

When my son in law turns up to fill his van with bought coffee and a cake in his hand I think 'that's a fiver you've wasted'  ;D

Spot on! My philosophy has always been 'if I can't afford it I can't have it.' My dad taught me the value of money. We used to mow lawns on a Saturday after he'd done a full week in a factory. And on a Sunday I would go out car washing. The car washing paid for my petrol for my moped. For the week. He did well for himself, better than a factory worker should have done. He watched his pennies and because of that he could afford a brand new detached house in a nice area and run two cars. My Mrs isn't quite the same as me. I have to rein her in a bit. She wanted to take the dog to the groomers for a wash and blow costing £30. I said sod that I'll do it for free. Anything I buy I value it against how many houses I have to clean. It gets you thinking if you think this way.

Don't live beyond your means and you'll be ok 👍
Sorry late to the thread….

I agree with this 100%. Too many people have a champagne lifestyle with a lemonade income! On the flip side if you can afford to live life and enjoy holidays etc then why not. I guess it’s a balancing act and circumstance depending. Also the amount of people I’ve met who are wealthy and never travel anywhere other than their local seaside resort baffles me! Each to their own bit travelling the world is a must! You have but  one life!!

Bungle

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2024, 07:43:11 pm »
A couple of articles have popped up this week where families on £60,000 income  are struggling to live due to high mortgage payments and the cost of living.

I bet they all have new iPhones, full Sky TV package and eat 2 or 3 takeaways a week.

Some people just have no clue how to run their finances, they could earn £200k a year and still be skint.

Before getting married I ran a car and a motorbike. Sold the car to put towards deposit. When we married, sold the motorbike and got a car again.

No TV for a year until my parents gave us their old one and we could afford the license fee.

Sacrifices.

When my son in law turns up to fill his van with bought coffee and a cake in his hand I think 'that's a fiver you've wasted'  ;D

Spot on! My philosophy has always been 'if I can't afford it I can't have it.' My dad taught me the value of money. We used to mow lawns on a Saturday after he'd done a full week in a factory. And on a Sunday I would go out car washing. The car washing paid for my petrol for my moped. For the week. He did well for himself, better than a factory worker should have done. He watched his pennies and because of that he could afford a brand new detached house in a nice area and run two cars. My Mrs isn't quite the same as me. I have to rein her in a bit. She wanted to take the dog to the groomers for a wash and blow costing £30. I said sod that I'll do it for free. Anything I buy I value it against how many houses I have to clean. It gets you thinking if you think this way.

I agree with this 100%. Too many people have a champagne lifestyle with a lemonade income! On the flip side if you can afford to live life and enjoy holidays etc then why not. I guess it’s a balancing act and circumstance depending. Also the amount of people I’ve met who are wealthy and never travel anywhere other than their local seaside resort baffles me! Each to their own bit travelling the world is a must! You have but  one life!!

I wish I'd traveled when I was younger. My son is currently in Bali for two weeks then Vietnam for two weeks and then Thailand for two weeks. One of his mates who he's travelling with is going to Australia for a year straight after.
We look at them, they look through them.

JandS

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2024, 08:18:28 pm »
Don't want to be richest man in the graveyard.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2024, 09:21:55 pm »

Sacrifices.

I wish I'd traveled when I was younger. My son is currently in Bali for two weeks then Vietnam for two weeks and then Thailand for two weeks. One of his mates who he's travelling with is going to Australia for a year straight after.

Good for your son. I bet you get some satisfaction knowing your son is living life to the full :)

I’ve got two sons and would want them
To be the same. Barring health it’s never too late to travel 👍

Slacky

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2024, 09:42:09 pm »

Sacrifices.

I travelled and worked for fours years when I left college. Best time of my life. Although the best is yet to come.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2024, 11:15:39 pm »
Funny how we are all different. I have no desire whatsoever to travel the world, or even leave this country at all and I can afford to.
However, I live a very chilled, peaceful life. I live in a dream location in a nice 4/5 bedroom detached home with 3 balconies overlooking stunning scenery. I can literally walk out of my door and fish for Salmon. I never lock my van day or night and seldom the car either- there is zero crime in the immediate area. This is the place and position that I always dreamed of and I have achieved it without being laden with debt and retaining plenty of disposable income. I'm completely happy, content and at total peace in my surroundings and I am very grateful and feel very fortunate to be in this position. It wouldn't matter one iota to me whether I never left these shores again for the rest of my life, that desire just doesn't reside in me at all, I'm already fulfilled.
I have worked since I was 12 years old mind, I'm now 51 and have never been awarded any financial assistance nor ever claimed any state benefit. Good timing and fortune in the housing market has helped on the way- I couldn't afford to buy my own house now!!
Comfortably Numb!

DJW

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2024, 07:21:13 am »
I don’t even posses a passport these days. I’ve travelled in the past and discovered many countries particularly around the Med are almost identical. The tourist hot spots embarrass me to be honest and I hate crowds.
I like flash cars but have no desire to own one. I live in the country and prefer spotting wildlife to humans.
I’m probably tight too 🙂 spending thousands to eat beans in a bath just doesn’t appeal 🤣
The ratio of property prices to annual earnings is ridiculous . Before the thread descended into a bragging competition I can understand why £60,000 is not much to get by on any more. My Son and partner combined probably earn a similar figure but have no disposable income left out of that. My daughter has little hope of even getting on the property ladder with prices in excess of £200,000 for a starter home.

Ggh

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2024, 02:13:39 pm »
I don’t even posses a passport these days. I’ve travelled in the past and discovered many countries particularly around the Med are almost identical. The tourist hot spots embarrass me to be honest and I hate crowds.
I like flash cars but have no desire to own one. I live in the country and prefer spotting wildlife to humans.
I’m probably tight too 🙂 spending thousands to eat beans in a bath just doesn’t appeal 🤣
The ratio of property prices to annual earnings is ridiculous . Before the thread descended into a bragging competition I can understand why £60,000 is not much to get by on any more. My Son and partner combined probably earn a similar figure but have no disposable income left out of that. My daughter has little hope of even getting on the property ladder with prices in excess of £200,000 for a starter home.

Tell her to eat less avocados and get a cheaper phone. She’ll be able to buy a house then.

Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

dd

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2024, 04:41:37 pm »
Funny how we are all different. I have no desire whatsoever to travel the world, or even leave this country at all and I can afford to.
However, I live a very chilled, peaceful life. I live in a dream location in a nice 4/5 bedroom detached home with 3 balconies overlooking stunning scenery. I can literally walk out of my door and fish for Salmon. I never lock my van day or night and seldom the car either- there is zero crime in the immediate area. This is the place and position that I always dreamed of and I have achieved it without being laden with debt and retaining plenty of disposable income. I'm completely happy, content and at total peace in my surroundings and I am very grateful and feel very fortunate to be in this position. It wouldn't matter one iota to me whether I never left these shores again for the rest of my life, that desire just doesn't reside in me at all, I'm already fulfilled.
I have worked since I was 12 years old mind, I'm now 51 and have never been awarded any financial assistance nor ever claimed any state benefit. Good timing and fortune in the housing market has helped on the way- I couldn't afford to buy my own house now!!
Where do you live Winpro?

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2024, 06:20:44 pm »

Scottish borders but originally from South Yorkshire.
Comfortably Numb!

Bungle

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2024, 06:43:06 pm »

Just noticed your Union Flag is wrong Winpro. On the left hand side the wider part of the white should be above the narrower part of white.

Like this.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2024, 07:47:19 pm »

Just noticed your Union Flag is wrong Winpro. On the left hand side the wider part of the white should be above the narrower part of white.

Like this.

Thanks for that Bungle, I'll sleep better tonight now!😁👍
Comfortably Numb!

Bungle

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2024, 08:24:44 pm »

Like this.

Thanks for that Bungle, I'll sleep better tonight now!😁👍

Not a problem. An upside down Union flag on a ship means it's in distress 👍

DJW

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2024, 08:40:25 pm »
Surprised the Union Jack hasn’t been banned yet.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2024, 08:51:46 pm »
Surprised the Union Jack hasn’t been banned yet.

It's coming Dave, it will be seen as 'offensive' before too long. There's a whole new generation making a career out of being offended!! Manufactured grievance.
Comfortably Numb!

dd

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2024, 05:08:57 pm »
How do you find the weather in the Scottish Borders Winpro?

Bungle

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2024, 05:18:13 pm »

Met Office app.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2024, 05:25:31 pm »

Absolutely fine, not that much different from South Yorkshire. I would probably say though any 'severe' weather is a bit more 'severe' but generally not much different. The weather generally gets worse the further North and further West you go in Scotland- the weather is predominantly from the west.
It's still too hot to work in summer here just like other parts of the UK, I still have to plaster myself in sunblock every summer!!😁
Comfortably Numb!

Bungle

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2024, 08:54:46 pm »
I like to enjoy the fruits of my labour. House improvements, expensive cars, holidays. The wife has just had to reign me in as I was about to buy a new car, I still might if I can talk her round😆. As the saying goes, there are no pockets in a shroud!

What are you looking at getting ? Not a T ROCK I hope 😂😂😂😂
🤣🤣…A Porsche Macan GTS,  part of the VW group right enough😁

The Audi SQ5 is very similar, the Porsche is nice but a brake service is very expensive 😰😰😰😰as is all service costs with them , the nearest dealer to me is 110 miles away .
Had an SQ5 from 2015-2018, decent car but the Porsche is on a different level. I agree servicing is very expensive nowadays for the premier marques, a bit of a rip off to be honest. I have 2 dealerships within 30 miles and  4 within 100 miles🤤

You want one of theses 😂😂

Post some more pics of your Porsche splash. I want one 😍

Splash & dash

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2024, 09:30:06 pm »
I like to enjoy the fruits of my labour. House improvements, expensive cars, holidays. The wife has just had to reign me in as I was about to buy a new car, I still might if I can talk her round😆. As the saying goes, there are no pockets in a shroud!

What are you looking at getting ? Not a T ROCK I hope 😂😂😂😂
🤣🤣…A Porsche Macan GTS,  part of the VW group right enough😁

The Audi SQ5 is very similar, the Porsche is nice but a brake service is very expensive 😰😰😰😰as is all service costs with them , the nearest dealer to me is 110 miles away .
Had an SQ5 from 2015-2018, decent car but the Porsche is on a different level. I agree servicing is very expensive nowadays for the premier marques, a bit of a rip off to be honest. I have 2 dealerships within 30 miles and  4 within 100 miles🤤

You want one of theses 😂😂

Post some more pics of your Porsche splash. I want one 😍

Will these do ?