DJW

60k a year and skint!
« on: March 04, 2024, 06:06:53 pm »
A couple of articles have popped up this week where families on £60,000 income  are struggling to live due to high mortgage payments and the cost of living.

Shocking really. Wonder if they have a window cleaner!

֍Winp®oClean֍

Re: 60k a year and skint!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 06:57:36 pm »
A couple of articles have popped up this week where families on £60,000 income  are struggling to live due to high mortgage payments and the cost of living.

The size of some peoples mortgages these days is quite scary! Think our generation were one of the last to end up with nice, good sized houses with relatively small mortgages. Plus we've enjoyed record low interest rates for many years.
Housing prices these days are just silly!
Comfortably Numb!

deeege

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 10:21:33 pm »

I bet they all have new iPhones, full Sky TV package and eat 2 or 3 takeaways a week.

Some people just have no clue how to run their finances, they could earn £200k a year and still be skint.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 12:03:35 am »
People spend to their earning power - most never think life might take a nasty turn south....
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 06:47:21 am »

I bet they all have new iPhones, full Sky TV package and eat 2 or 3 takeaways a week.

Some people just have no clue how to run their finances, they could earn £200k a year and still be skint.

Before getting married I ran a car and a motorbike. Sold the car to put towards deposit. When we married, sold the motorbike and got a car again.

Did an extra job on Saturdays in a hardware shop to save money.

No TV for a year until my parents gave us their old one and we could afford the license fee.

Honeymoon in the Brecon Beacons borrowing dad's car.

Packed lunches and a thermos flask (still do)

Jumpers for goalposts, lived in a dustbin.

Point being - easy to waste money on distractions -

Sacrifices.

When my son in law turns up to fill his van with bought coffee and a cake in his hand I think 'that's a fiver you've wasted'  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

zesty

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 08:04:48 am »
People spend to their earning power - most never think life might take a nasty turn south....

Yep.

That’s why I run my paid off custom, and we drive a boring Peugeot 3008 suv .

No car finance. We’re being sensible by putting the money into the house at the moment. Once we have finished the house. I might then upgrade the van and car.

You can’t have it all at the same time!

There are so many people with flash cars on tick but no money at the end of the month it’s crazy.

Mate of ours had to liquidate his company because he couldn’t manage his finances. Had a flash car, but ended up broke.

Bungle

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 04:40:13 pm »

Before getting married I ran a car and a motorbike. Sold the car to put towards deposit. When we married, sold the motorbike and got a car again.

Did an extra job on Saturdays in a hardware shop to save money.

No TV for a year until my parents gave us their old one and we could afford the license fee.

Honeymoon in the Brecon Beacons borrowing dad's car.

Packed lunches and a thermos flask (still do)

Jumpers for goalposts, lived in a dustbin.

Point being - easy to waste money on distractions -

Sacrifices.

When my son in law turns up to fill his van with bought coffee and a cake in his hand I think 'that's a fiver you've wasted'  ;D

Spot on! My philosophy has always been 'if I can't afford it I can't have it.' My dad taught me the value of money. We used to mow lawns on a Saturday after he'd done a full week in a factory. And on a Sunday I would go out car washing. The car washing paid for my petrol for my moped. For the week. He did well for himself, better than a factory worker should have done. He watched his pennies and because of that he could afford a brand new detached house in a nice area and run two cars. My Mrs isn't quite the same as me. I have to rein her in a bit. She wanted to take the dog to the groomers for a wash and blow costing £30. I said sod that I'll do it for free. Anything I buy I value it against how many houses I have to clean. It gets you thinking if you think this way.

Don't live beyond your means and you'll be ok 👍
We look at them, they look through them.

dd

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 05:25:53 pm »
If you get fed up with window cleaning Bungle maybe you could go into dog grooming.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 06:07:04 pm »
I like to enjoy the fruits of my labour. House improvements, expensive cars, holidays. The wife has just had to reign me in as I was about to buy a new car, I still might if I can talk her round😆. As the saying goes, there are no pockets in a shroud!

Splash & dash

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 06:12:25 pm »
I like to enjoy the fruits of my labour. House improvements, expensive cars, holidays. The wife has just had to reign me in as I was about to buy a new car, I still might if I can talk her round😆. As the saying goes, there are no pockets in a shroud!

What are you looking at getting ? Not a T ROCK I hope 😂😂😂😂

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 06:22:46 pm »

I'm the same.....life is short we ll all be dead soon so might as well go on the nice holidays now while we re in good health,drive a  new car if you want.....

Just don't overstretch yourself.thats never a good thing....as long as you can afford it why not?👍😎

If you ve got more money coming in than going out on  a consistent basis year after year then your living right!
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 06:26:25 pm »

It's called a T-ROC R line DSG in black of course!👍😄

It's all ordered and should be on my drive by the end of the month.😎👍

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 06:29:02 pm »

Ibiza in May(5 star hotel of course)then 10 days in Lanzarote at the end of August(all paid for in full)....😃

KS Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 06:34:41 pm »

🤣🤣…A Porsche Macan GTS,  part of the VW group right enough😁

KS Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 06:37:37 pm »

Ibiza in May(5 star hotel of course)then 10 days in Lanzarote at the end of August(all paid for in full)....😃
I’ve got Ibiza in May too, but it’s a Stag weekend so I’ll be slumming it! Benidorm for an over 35’s football tournament in June, then family holiday to Turkey in July.

Shrek

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 06:47:28 pm »

I’ve got Ibiza in May too, but it’s a Stag weekend so I’ll be slumming it! Benidorm for an over 35’s football tournament in June, then family holiday to Turkey in July.

Ooh turkey 🇹🇷 in July 😰 40°! 🥵

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 06:47:52 pm »

60k isn't that much if it's joint income (once tax and insurance is taken out).throw in a £2k a month mortgage and a couple of kids and you'll just get by.

When I move in with the missus we ll have a combined income of £80k+ a year.no mortgage,kids flown the nest so we should have plenty of money for more holidays,taking it a bit easier and enjoying life!👍🙂

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024, 06:53:28 pm »
Ive just aquired a 2007 nissan note with 120k on it for free  ;D

Relative died and they wanted shut of it as short mot and had an engine fault

Ive fixed it with a 25 quid part and will run it as my fishing weapon for a  few months then flog it probably                   

Bungle

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 07:31:09 pm »
If you get fed up with window cleaning Bungle maybe you could go into dog grooming.

£30 for cleaning a smeggy dog? F0@k that 😂

We look at them, they look through them.

Splash & dash

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2024, 07:38:45 pm »

🤣🤣…A Porsche Macan GTS,  part of the VW group right enough😁

The Audi SQ5 is very similar, the Porsche is nice but a brake service is very expensive 😰😰😰😰as is all service costs with them , the nearest dealer to me is 110 miles away .