matthewprice

Lithium battery
« on: December 27, 2022, 09:05:31 pm »
Hi my leisure battery is on its way out . Considering a lithium battery . Purely for the weight advantage . Any one got any experience or advice thank you

Pete Thompson

Re: Lithium battery
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 11:49:26 pm »
Why would you need to reduce the weight in your van?

Reducing the weight by approximately 20 kg will have no significant impact on your fuel consumption. But lithium ion batteries are several times more expensive than lead acid, and not as straightforward to charge (and so you’d probably need a special charging system)

I thought about it a while ago, and decided it just wasn’t worth the extra cost for no real benefit.

EandM

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 12:15:16 am »
A quick look around suggests about £500 for a 100 ah or £250 for a 50 ah.

Very good batteries with around 4,000 cycles available so ultimately fairly cheap if ordered direct from China but allow another£50 for a dedicated charger.

But it's a lot of initial outlay when an AGM is around 20% of the price.

matthewprice

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 05:38:50 pm »
I have got a small kangoo van . And it would be to minimise the weight . Extra initial outlay would eventually pay for its self . Charging is a little bit of an unknown for me .

Ched

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 07:09:56 pm »
Lithium batteries don't like the cold either. Effectively in cold temps (below about 5 Deg C) they won't give out anywhere near their rated capacity.

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 08:21:32 pm »
Lithium batteries don't like the cold either. Effectively in cold temps (below about 5 Deg C) they won't give out anywhere near their rated capacity.

Nor can they be charged either

EandM

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 08:50:14 pm »

[/quote]

Sorry, I don't understand. What can't be charged?

Splash & dash

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 09:16:42 pm »

Sorry, I don't understand. What can't be charged?
[/quote]

Lithium batteries cannot be charged if they are below a certain temperature cannot remember the exact temperature but it’s around 5 degrees?.. friend of mine is a marine electrician and they have to fit heaters around the batteries to keep the  the temperature up so they will charge and supply power . The Americans use them a lot in there camper vans and they have to fit them in insulated boxes or fit  heaters to keep them warm .

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 09:43:30 pm »
Sterling supply a 100 amp lithium battery with added heating so a cold battery will accept a small charge.
That will cost you a further £250.
https://sterling-power.com/products/heated-lithium-iron-phosphate-batteries-12v-leisure-battery-5-year-warranty

And as others have stated, you need a battery charger designed for charging lithium batteries. A standard car battery charger or smart battery charger isn't sufficient.

I have a lithium battery in my DeWalt drilling machine. The charger will not charge a battery that is below 0 degrees C. It needs to be warmed up before the charger will activate.

If you really want to learn about Lithium batteries, a narrow boater by the name of Jono (Journey with Jono) did a few tutorial videos when he fitted his boat out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIVBpSs2ma0&list=PL3zptmU3iQDAOp3xKInXA-7tFFyGuCylP

Narrow boaters store their battery bank in the engine compartment outside the living area. He had to install his inside his boat to keep them warm.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 10:43:27 pm »
I have got a small kangoo van . And it would be to minimise the weight . Extra initial outlay would eventually pay for its self . Charging is a little bit of an unknown for me .

How do you arrive at the conclusion that the weight saving would have an appreciable benefit?
It's a game of three halves!

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 10:55:48 pm »

How do you arrive at the conclusion that the weight saving would have an appreciable benefit?

20 kg is neither here or there when it comes to van payloads , he’s better off with AGM batteries

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 10:00:50 am »

20 kg is neither hear or there when it comes to van payloads , he’s better off with AGM batteries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSNaWPXbSk

This video is 4 years old. All the details may not be that relevant any longer as technologies develop, but the basic principle of what he says still holds true.
I also noted that in his research, he states that there wasn't much of a difference between the weights of lead acid and AGM batteries.

Again, if anyone decides AGM is the way to go, then they need a dedicated battery charger that will accommodate AGM charging profiles. My Numax smart charger isn't suitable to fully recharge an AGM battery. Its designed for lead acid battery recharging only.

EandM

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 01:17:25 pm »

20 kg is neither hear or there when it comes to van payloads , he’s better off with AGM batteries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSNaWPXbSk

This video is 4 years old. All the details may not be that relevant any longer as technologies develop, but the basic principle of what he says still holds true.
I also noted that in his research, he states that there wasn't much of a difference between the weights of lead acid and AGM batteries.

Again, if anyone decides AGM is the way to go, then they need a dedicated battery charger that will accommodate AGM charging profiles. My Numax smart charger isn't suitable to fully recharge an AGM battery. Its designed for lead acid battery recharging only.

I use fairly low capacity AGM's, typically around 36 ah and find them to be extremely good.
My dad, who was a TV engineer for a very long time, made me an appropriate power supply and all has been working well for a number of years.

JandS

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 08:04:43 pm »
There having fun in the States and Canada at the moment with charging electric cars due to the extreme weather.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2023, 03:54:44 pm »
This is another consideration if deciding to use Lithium batteries. I've seen this video before, but couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgoIocPgOug

a900

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2023, 07:52:50 pm »
Feel like there is a lot of scare mongering in this thread. I’ve been using lithium for the last 4 years or so. DIY packs for me as it’s been a bit of hobby.

Yes lithium isn’t designed to be charged below 0C. But can discharge lower than that. It’s very rare for your battery pack to get that cold inside a case. As been mentioned you can buy packs that have have thermal heating pads to keep the pack over 0C which isn’t much.

I would recommend someone like fogstar https://www.fogstar.co.uk/collections/lithium-leisure-battery

I use the same cells as in their batteries for home storage.

I would also recommend a dc-dc charger. Like Victron Orion tr 12/12-30amp.  It will charge the battery and is like the modern version of a split charge relay. Newer vehicles do not like older style split charge so this is the modern going forward way anyway.  Mine is Bluetooth so can read battery state. So on.

So now the scare is yes it does cost more than a lead acid battery. But has many many more cycles 4000-6000 full depth cycles. So cheaper in the long run. You should get years out of it. 

Lighter to me is just a win side effect in a window cleaning van.

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2023, 10:45:03 pm »
Feel like there is a lot of scare mongering in this thread. I’ve been using lithium for the last 4 years or so. DIY packs for me as it’s been a bit of hobby.

Yes lithium isn’t designed to be charged below 0C. But can discharge lower than that. It’s very rare for your battery pack to get that cold inside a case. As been mentioned you can buy packs that have have thermal heating pads to keep the pack over 0C which isn’t much.

I would recommend someone like fogstar https://www.fogstar.co.uk/collections/lithium-leisure-battery

I use the same cells as in their batteries for home storage.

I would also recommend a dc-dc charger. Like Victron Orion tr 12/12-30amp.  It will charge the battery and is like the modern version of a split charge relay. Newer vehicles do not like older style split charge so this is the modern going forward way anyway.  Mine is Bluetooth so can read battery state. So on.

So now the scare is yes it does cost more than a lead acid battery. But has many many more cycles 4000-6000 full depth cycles. So cheaper in the long run. You should get years out of it. 

Lighter to me is just a win side effect in a window cleaning van.

I also have a b2b battery charger that has programming for lithium. Mine is a Sterling  bb1260 which can be switched over from 60 to 30amp. It also has a battery temperature probe for use with lithium.

So apart from price considerations I have the equipment to convert to lithium.  But I also know that replacing an alternator on my van isn't cheap and it's a pain to remove as its put in the most inconvenient place. I've done it.

However, when answering questions from cleaners who make a comment without doing an in-depth study of the subject before hand, I feel you have to point out the pit falls and worse case scenarios.

So to you, using lithium is no problem as you have the knowledge and experience, both of which the o/p hasn't got which is evident by his post.

matthewprice

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2023, 08:41:04 am »
I thank you for everyone’s opinion/ experience.I have absolutely no experience of lithium batteries. But I am definitely in need of reducing payload . I have advantage of being able to mains charge in my garage . So far the only real problem is charging in the cold weather .  Looks like I could get 50amp battery. But could discharge it more than a leisure battery I have . Matt

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2023, 10:15:42 am »
I thank you for everyone’s opinion/ experience.I have absolutely no experience of lithium batteries. But I am definitely in need of reducing payload . I have advantage of being able to mains charge in my garage . So far the only real problem is charging in the cold weather .  Looks like I could get 50amp battery. But could discharge it more than a leisure battery I have . Matt

The great thing about lithium is that you can discharge the battery further than a lead acid battery.
If you have a 100 amp lead acid battery you have a useable amount of amps of 50 as you shouldn't go below 50% of the batteries capacity.
With a lithium you can use more of that batteries capacity without reducing its longevity. It's reported that you can take out 80 to 90% of it's capacity.

I can't ever recall us taking our lead acid leisure battery down to anywhere near 50% of its capacity by using 50 amps in a day.

a900

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2023, 06:02:44 pm »
Another advantage to lithium is that a good battery will have onboard management… well they all should have it. Anything that’s a ready made battery pack. This protects the battery from under charge.

Where as with lead acid you could say leave your pump on over the weekend and drain your battery and reduce its life. Lead acid is happiest at full charge and doesn’t like being discharged to empty as it reduces the cycles. Not an issues for lithium with battery management to shut it off at low charge and is happy through it’s charge range.   

Spruce

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2023, 07:04:41 am »
This is another consideration if deciding to use Lithium batteries. I've seen this video before, but couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgoIocPgOug

I would like to resurrect this thread as it is still a relevant topic.

Firstly, has anyone in the last year opted for a lithium battery replacement, and if so, experiences with charging setup would be appreciated please.

Secondly, I have a great respect for Sterling, but this video I linked to they made has been debunked by another YouTuber. He identified that the alternator they'smoked' was an alternator from a small citroen car with a low amp output. So you can't always believe what you see .

There has been a lot of debate over the internet on charging profiles for lithium. Does anyone use a b2b charger and what charging profile works for them? Some lithium batteries are sold with a charger. Is this an option?

The default charging profile Sterling use had been described as a little harsh by another expert and needs to be 'toned down.'

Does anyone know when and how often they need to be recharged? With lead acid we need to recharge them asap after use. Someone advised that they need their charge depleted before recharging.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2023, 07:06:54 am »
Christ Spruce. You’re the brightest person on here. If you you don't know, how the hell d’you expect us lot to?🤣

Spruce

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2023, 07:12:55 am »
Christ Spruce. You’re the brightest person on here. If you you don't know, how the hell d’you expect us lot to?🤣

I wish that were true, but I'm afraid it isn't.😟

I'm thinking about going down this lithium route: the last battery I buy before I die scenario. 😂

zesty

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2023, 07:51:14 am »
How do you get round charging it in the winter?

Unless you want to lug it indoors each time?

As I understand it, you can’t charge them in 0 degrees or less.

As I use an extension reel into the van each night to charge my leisure battery, lithium wouldn’t be suitable in winter. It’s way too much faff bringing it indoors, taking off the terminals etc…

4Seasons

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2023, 08:24:18 am »
I have this one..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CPLWDZY3/ref=twister_B0B86SMR6Z?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

It comes with it's own charger.
Lasts all day and takes about 20-25min to recharge at the end of the day.
Changing to this from a Leisure Battery has been a revelation.

Spruce

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2023, 08:25:06 am »

As I use an extension reel into the van each night to charge my leisure battery, lithium wouldn’t be suitable in winter. It’s way too much faff bringing it indoors, taking off the terminals etc…

Charging in winter time in below freezing conditions is an issue.

You can buy a lithium battery that has additional built in heating pads at a cost, but the charging input has to be above 10 amps continuous to activate these heating pads on some batteries. So it requires an outside power source anyway.

My van is kept a few degrees above freezing with an electric heater. My diesel heater also has frost protection and kicks on when the internals reach 3 degrees.
My battery is raised up on side of my tank and to the side of my diesel heater.

Warmth from the diesel heater will also lessen the chance of my battery freezing.

Freezing is a good point though.

I know we charge our lithium powered phones overnight (which we shouldn't do apparently), but I personally wouldn't want to charge a 100 amp lithium battery indoors over night anyway.

Spruce

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2023, 08:29:48 am »
I have this one..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CPLWDZY3/ref=twister_B0B86SMR6Z?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Thank you. When I did a search on Amazon, this make never came up.

Spruce

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2023, 09:00:55 am »
I have this one..

Another question please. The product description says it comes with a charger and BMS. I'm confused about the BMS. That's part of the battery internals. Does it come with a build in BMS display so we can see what's what with the battery's state of charge?

Thanks

matthewprice

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2023, 05:12:40 pm »
 I got  a 75 amp lithium battery . Came with a basic charger . Up graded to ctek lithium charger . To be on the safe side . Stops charging when full . . Get a full week out of  the battery . Then mains charge . Had a180 amp Agm that weighs a ton . Lithium battery can lift with two fingers . I have a garage and so far not had any issues with the cold  . If it was to get extreme could put oil heater in back of van   . So far think it  has worked well for me .

DJW

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2023, 05:21:53 pm »

If you want to reduce your payload then how about running off the van battery?

windowswashed

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2023, 06:12:59 pm »
A lithium ion battery has roughly 500 cycles to 80 percent and they are the ones that are highly explosive if the BMS is dodgy (battery management system), i.e. a printed circuit board that regulates the battery to prevent overcharging, overheating, etc.

It's LifePo4 batteries which are safer and have on average 3000-3500 cycles or approximately 10 years to 80 percent use. They won't charge below zero degrees unless they are kept above zero degrees somewhere inside a well ventilated enclosure  and have a built in heating to charge from low settings. Ideally you want one with grade A cells (best you can get) and a good BMS preferably bluetooth to keep an eye on battery charge.

matthewprice

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2023, 08:03:49 pm »
This week done 6miles worked 5 days  so far . Many start stops . Didn’t want to run the risk of a flat van battery .

matthewprice

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2023, 08:11:17 pm »
Also definitely want a lifePO4 battery . . Advantage of keeping van undercover when cold  my system has never froze.   three  other cleaners have had issues with frozen  vans this year . So unless we get  a real extreme burst of cold ,I don’t foresee an issue . Understand there are many places that are much colder than where I live . So won’t work for all

Splash & dash

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2023, 08:19:41 pm »

I know on boats they are fitted in heated boxes

Smudger

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2023, 12:07:27 am »
Can these only be charged via he mains?
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

windowswashed

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2023, 04:33:53 pm »
Can these only be charged via he mains?

Can be charged by solar or battery to battery smart charger as well.

Smudger

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2023, 02:38:41 pm »
Thanks well worth looking into
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Spruce

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2024, 08:51:03 pm »
My leisure battery is 3 years old and needed replacement.

I've bitten the proverbial bullet and purchased a 105 amph FogstarLifePO4 battery on the recommendation of A900. I also purchased a 20amp lithium charger from them as well. I fitted it into my van this week.
Reprogramming my Sterling b2b charger from 60 amp to 30 amp took me a couple of hours with Ben Sterling's help from Sterling.

Interestingly, these battery 2 battery chargers are rated at input to the charger rather than output. So my BB1260 has an input amperage of 60 amps but around 50 amps output amperage. That's apparently fine for charging a 105 amp lithium battery, but Fogstar recommend charging at 20 to 30 amps, as it is kinder to the battery. The battery arrived at 50% charge, and my new 20amp charger fully charged it at 16 amps dropping to 10 amps.

I see my battery charges at around 25 amps when starting the engine, but quickly drops back to 12 amps with a 95% fully charged battery. This is double the charge that the lead acid batteries I had before would accept with a similar charge capacity. But I will still have to bench charge this battery when I use the diesel heater, as short trips won't be enough to full recharge it.

What I love is that even under load, the battery voltage stays at a constant 13.1v.

Incorporated into the battery are heating elements. If the temperature is below freezing, the charge current is diverted to these heating coils by the BMS. Once the battery has warmed up, charging will start.

Sterling's battery with heating coils is twice the price.

Anyway, it's early days and I have a lot to master and experience with this new technology. 

lal

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2024, 01:56:43 pm »
My leisure battery is 3 years old and needed replacement.

I've bitten the proverbial bullet and purchased a 105 amph FogstarLifePO4 battery on the recommendation of A900. I also purchased a 20amp lithium charger from them as well. I fitted it into my van this week.
Reprogramming my Sterling b2b charger from 60 amp to 30 amp took me a couple of hours with Ben Sterling's help from Sterling.

Interestingly, these battery 2 battery chargers are rated at input to the charger rather than output. So my BB1260 has an input amperage of 60 amps but around 50 amps output amperage. That's apparently fine for charging a 105 amp lithium battery, but Fogstar recommend charging at 20 to 30 amps, as it is kinder to the battery. The battery arrived at 50% charge, and my new 20amp charger fully charged it at 16 amps dropping to 10 amps.

I see my battery charges at around 25 amps when starting the engine, but quickly drops back to 12 amps with a 95% fully charged battery. This is double the charge that the lead acid batteries I had before would accept with a similar charge capacity. But I will still have to bench charge this battery when I use the diesel heater, as short trips won't be enough to full recharge it.

What I love is that even under load, the battery voltage stays at a constant 13.1v.

Incorporated into the battery are heating elements. If the temperature is below freezing, the charge current is diverted to these heating coils by the BMS. Once the battery has warmed up, charging will start.

Sterling's battery with heating coils is twice the price.

Anyway, it's early days and I have a lot to master and experience with this new technology.

This is very interesting  Spruce, all the best with it, will you give us an update in the Future sometime,
to see how its going.
Best regards
Lal

dazmond

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2024, 02:29:04 pm »
I replaced my system batteries last year.they were around 3 years old.i always just replace like with like.im not sure whether lithium batteries are suitable for our needs as don't they suffer on below freezing nights and not charge up properly?I might be mistaken!

Anyway one day in December my van battery was completely flat in the afternoon,I had to get a customer to
jump start me!it's never happened before or since!my van battery is only 12 months old.
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2024, 02:40:29 pm »
I replaced my system batteries last year.they were around 3 years old.i always just replace like with like.im not sure whether lithium batteries are suitable for our needs as don't they suffer on below freezing nights and not charge up properly?I might be mistaken!

Anyway one day in December my van battery was completely flat in the afternoon,I had to get a customer to
jump start me!it's never happened before or since!my van battery is only 12 months old.

You could have used your leisure battery bank to start your van if you had jumper leads. I can't do that now with my single 105amp lithium battery.

The reason I went with LifePO4 from Fogstar was that they incorporate heating elements in the batteries. If the temps are below freezing, then the BMS activates the heating coils when the charger is connected. Once the battery warms up enough, then charging begins. The heating coils take 10 amps. Temps below freezing won't matter to the output of the battery.

I love the fact that the battery maintains 13.1v even under the load demand by the diesel heater.

I can't believe that some suppliers are charging another £200 for a battery with heating elements.

I very much doubt we will need the heating element facility, as we won't let our van freeze. The battery in mounted high up on the side of my tank and near the diesel heater, so warmth from that will keep the battery warmer when the frostat kicks in.

Smudger

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2024, 02:53:36 pm »
Spruce - are you getting any better  performance  from the pumps ? For example more flow from the pump but still on the same number setting?

Spruce

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2024, 03:36:03 pm »
Spruce - are you getting any better  performance  from the pumps ? For example more flow from the pump but still on the same number setting?

If we do, then it's negligible. The voltage on the battery I took out dropped to 12.3v unload load, where this remains at 13.1v. So there must be a performance increase. It's difficult to tell because our pumps are over 16 years old, so they aren't performing at their best, especially with cold water.

With hot water, we do get an increase in flow anyway with the same controller settings,

I wouldn't consider it a plus to buy a lithium battery. The main reason for me was because the diesel heater switched off on several occasions because of low voltage. I was in two minds to just replace the battery with like for like, but the urge to try a lithium battery was an itch I needed to scratch.

I was hoping to be able to recharge this lithium battery fast enough using the van's alternator to negate the need to bench charge every night. Even though this battery accepts a faster charge, it's only twice as fast as my old lead acid batteries accepted. So still not enough.
What I need to find out is what influence keeping the battery between 50% and 95% charge will mean for its longevity. We needed to fully recharge our lead acid batteries asap after use to get the most from them - does the same apply to lithium? I need to ask these questions from the supplier's support team.

Smudger

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2024, 11:22:41 pm »
 Cheers
Recently re wired a van and added new (lead) battery the difference in flow was notable - just wondered if a more stable would produce better flow

Spruce

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2024, 11:28:00 pm »
Cheers
Recently re wired a van and added new (lead) battery the difference in flow was notable - just wondered if a more stable would produce better flow

A new battery should hold a voltage of 12.7v under water pump motor load. 13.1v is not that much higher.
Many years ago we had a leisure battery fail on us. Before the controller cut the power to the pumps, the pumps were noticeable slower.

Smudger

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2024, 12:17:29 am »
Yes had that a few times-fully charged the voltage drop through the floor after an hour or so

Splash & dash

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2024, 02:18:56 pm »
Yes had that a few times-fully charged the voltage drop through the floor after an hour or so

Sounds like although the battery is showing fully charged it’s not holding charge and needs replacing I have had similar in the past .

Smudger

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2024, 04:44:25 pm »
Correct and I do

Perfect Windows

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2024, 05:15:41 pm »
You could have used your leisure battery bank to start your van if you had jumper leads. I can't do that now with my single 105amp lithium battery.

The reason I went with LifePO4 from Fogstar was that they incorporate heating elements in the batteries. If the temps are below freezing, then the BMS activates the heating coils when the charger is connected. Once the battery warms up enough, then charging begins. The heating coils take 10 amps. Temps below freezing won't matter to the output of the battery.

I love the fact that the battery maintains 13.1v even under the load demand by the diesel heater.

I can't believe that some suppliers are charging another £200 for a battery with heating elements.

I very much doubt we will need the heating element facility, as we won't let our van freeze. The battery in mounted high up on the side of my tank and near the diesel heater, so warmth from that will keep the battery warmer when the frostat kicks in.

What's the news on your LiFePo experience, Spruce?

One of our guys moved over to lithium when he was kitting out his new van a couple of months ago and loves it. It's a Sterling set up with a Victron 30A B2B charger and he says he never has to give the battery a thought after years of plugging in a charger every night. Voltage never drops. Just wondering if you're having similar results.

Vin

Spruce

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2024, 07:53:03 pm »

What's the news on your LiFePo experience, Spruce?

One of our guys moved over to lithium when he was kitting out his new van a couple of months ago and loves it. It's a Sterling set up with a Victron 30A B2B charger and he says he never has to give the battery a thought after years of plugging in a charger every night. Voltage never drops. Just wondering if you're having similar results.

Vin

I need a little more experience with this battery before I can make an assessment, tbh. I purchased it on A900's advice at the beginning of this thread.

What the seller's marketing says, and the reality, seem to be 2 different things. I contacted Fogstar who supplied the battery as I needed clarification on a couple of things.

Fogstar's literature mentions that the 105amp Lifepo4 can be recharged at 100 amps and also be discharged at 100 amps maximum. While that might be true, they don't recommend using the battery like this due to heat causing internal damage. They are also advertising it as a drop in battery. (Take your leisure battery out and replace it with Lithium. I question that.) I believe we need a B2B charger with a lithium charging profile. Especially is this true if our van has regenerative braking.  A 30 amp Victron b2b charger is ideal as we can easily change the charging profile via the Victron app. I can't do that with my Sterling unit. (Set at 30amps the max my battery charges at is 25amps. The 20 amp 230v charger does 16amps.)

They recommend charging at 50amp max to preserve the battery's longevity. That's apparently fine for charging a 105 amp lithium battery, but Fogstar recommend charging at 20 to 30 amps, as it is kinder to the battery.  I have a 60amp Sterling BB1260 which I have reset to 30 amps.
What Fogstar recommend is to fully charge the battery to 100% and then switch the charger off. (I purchased a 20 amp 230v charger from Fogstar.) They don't want the BMS kicking the charge to the battery on and off when fully charged. (You must not put a Lifepo4 battery into a float charging profile like you can with lead acid batteries.) Then they suggested I let the charge drop to 40% capacity and then recharge again.

That sounds good, but something happened 10 days ago at 50% battery capacity. The BMS (have an app on my phone) showed 54% when we got to our first clean 8 miles away. I started the diesel heater when we arrived. The heater had just started to get going past the initial heavy current draw start up phase when it cut out. The low voltage code was flashing on the heater's troubleshooting LED.
I looked on the app, and the battery was showing 14%. We weren't at the first clean for more than 5 minutes. In a few moments after I ran the engine, the BMS showed 50% charged. I switched the engine off, and we carried on throughout the day with 4 big jobs within 1/4 of a mile radius of each other, with the heater going all the time. I think there could have been a glitch in the BMS.
I'm letting the capacity drop slowly again to further test for a repeat.

In the evening of this day, I fully recharged the LifePO4 battery for the first time since fully charging it in the middle of December 2023, when I purchased the battery. So I definitely don't need to bother with it like I did when I had lead acid leisure batteries. This is, providing I've been given the right information.

These Lithium LifeP04 batteries do have similar characteristics that Lithium-ion batteries do. My battery charges at 25 amps with my Sterling b2b charger when the battery is below 80% charged, but it drops to 16 amps at 80% and down to 8 amps above 90%. According to the manual, the charging profile Sterling have programmed Lithium for is a charge voltage of 14.4v with my B2B charger. It's actually 13.6v; so software programs are modified regularly and the manuals not updated. 

If I wasn't using the diesel heater (which I've been doing this winter) then my feeling is that the alternator will be able to replenish the current drawn during the day with just the 2 pumps running. We do very little daily mileage.

The battery weighs about 10kgs, so is much lighter than the equivalent lead acid leisure battery at around 24kgs. It's also much smaller. The terminals are 8mm bolts, so ring terminals are needed to supply current to the equipment on board. It's not really a battery that can be charged outside the van, and definitely not overnight in the house. In fact, the instructions warn against charging in the house.

UPS delivered it, and as lithium batteries are classed as dangerous goods, there is a lot of paperwork that came with it; something that didn't go down too well with me. I was nervous about buying the battery to begin with. Instructions on the package tell us to open the packing outside; although the same instruction came with the replacement starter battery for my wife's car we received a couple of weeks earlier. The LifePO4 are considered safer than the Lithium-ion batteries used in scooters and EV's. But they aren't as dense and haven't got the 'punch' lithium-ion batteries have.

Fogstar batteries come with an internal heating element inside the battery. If the battery is freezing, then the charging power is directed into the heating element and once the battery is warm, charging automatically begins. The heating element on the 105amp battery draws 10 amps.

Sorry, some of these points I've mentioned in other posts, so I'm repeating myself.

In the future, I might reinstate the 60 amp charging facility the Sterling unit has, to see the result. I expect the charge amperage will be about 5 amps higher than the recommended 50 amps.  It's probably best done in winter when the battery is generally much colder. The BMS app also has a temperature readout.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2024, 12:35:56 pm »
Thanks, Spruce, sounds like a great deal to digest.

It looks from here like the draw from the heater is the bugbear. The more I read about these batteries, the more often someone says, "I use if for [something that draws a largeish current quite rapidly] and I'm having problems." It sounds like you fall into that camp with the starting draw of the heater. It's possibly the fact that our franchisee uses it for pump and reel only that might mean it's working better for him.

Thanks again; please do keep us posted.

Vin

Spruce

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2024, 04:03:10 pm »
Thanks, Spruce, sounds like a great deal to digest.

It looks from here like the draw from the heater is the bugbear. The more I read about these batteries, the more often someone says, "I use if for [something that draws a largeish current quite rapidly] and I'm having problems." It sounds like you fall into that camp with the starting draw of the heater. It's possibly the fact that our franchisee uses it for pump and reel only that might mean it's working better for him.

Thanks again; please do keep us posted.

Vin

I would normally start my diesel heater before we get to the first house when I was using a lead acid leisure battery.

This allowed the van's alternator to supply the increased starting current required by the diesel heater.

I've been pushing this lithium battery to see how it performs. I need a battery I can trust that would supply enough current to start the heater in the middle of the night when the winter temps drops without me having to worry about it.

This lithium battery is so different to the lead acid battery performance I've grown up with.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2024, 07:57:54 pm »
Sterling supply a 100 amp lithium battery with added heating so a cold battery will accept a small charge.
https://sterling-power.com/products/heated-lithium-iron-phosphate-batteries-12v-leisure-battery-5-year-warranty

Sterling seem to have realised that asking £250 more for heated is madness. Now £398 for a 100Ah with heater v £379 without.

(Interesting detail - despite the new listing linked below your link is still live, pointing to a £684, apparently identical, battery!)

https://sterling-power.com/products/heated-12v-100ah-200ah-lifepo4-lh-series-5-year-warranty

Vin

Spruce

Re: Lithium battery New
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2024, 02:39:28 pm »

Sterling seem to have realised that asking £250 more for heated is madness. Now £398 for a 100Ah with heater v £379 without.

(Interesting detail - despite the new listing linked below your link is still live, pointing to a £684, apparently identical, battery!)

https://sterling-power.com/products/heated-12v-100ah-200ah-lifepo4-lh-series-5-year-warranty

Vin

Interesting. It's also interesting that the 100amph has blue tooth and the 105 doesn't.
In my opinion, we can't do without a blue tooth link to the batteries bms. I have a victron battery monitor which I had installed with my lead acid batteries. This victron monitor and the bms don't agree.
I'm inclined to believe the bms. Others say not.

Lithium charge voltage is not a good indicator of remaining battery capacity.

I see Sterling advice this charging profile:
Max charge V=14.6V, Recommended =14.4V, Float V=13.8V

Other Lithium experts advise no float voltage. Charge until fully charged and switch off the charger. Its another subject that many experts have very different opinions about.