bleach just disguises it, try viakal and a brush

Cheers

Diane

www.freshlymaid.co.uk

The Great One

Re: Toilet scale
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 04:10:44 pm »
Hi

Limescale in a toilet can really only be removed with acid.

Spirit of salts (32% Hydrochloric acid) costs about £2-3, pour in slowly, close lid and either wait overnight (if poss) or for at least for a few hours, you can scrub to speed things up, depends how bad it is and if it's re-calcified back into lime stone.

Regards

Martin 8)

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 07:21:36 pm »
Hi

Limescale in a toilet can really only be removed with acid.

Spirit of salts (32% Hydrochloric acid) costs about £2-3, pour in slowly, close lid and either wait overnight (if poss) or for at least for a few hours, you can scrub to speed things up, depends how bad it is and if it's re-calcified back into lime stone.

Regards

Martin 8)

Martin is in deed correct.

Bleach only bleaches! dyes the colour! There is a coupple of products Loobrite, Looscale or Just purchase a product from your chemica supplier that is specifically design to remove lime scale.

TD10 is not as powerful as looscale but TD10 is good. Looscale cannot be used near or on marble or allumminium.

Dave

DREAM CLEAN

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 09:25:25 am »
Hi

Gloves,goggles and brick acid leave for 1/2 day then flush.
Keep the beach away from the acid
works every time.
If it is too thick, then push toilet water out, chip out with a screwdriver

Nick

The Great One

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:51:19 am »
Hi

I did a toilet 2 weeks ago that '2 professional cleaners' could not remove.

Poured in Spirit of salts (£1.99) left until next day, went back flushed, £30 for 5 mins work.

Used it for 5 years but anything similar will work, haven't tried these other products and spirit of salts has worked everytime for almost 6 years.

Good luck

Kind regards

Martin 8)

pro-clean

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:28:27 am »
Had this question a little while back on here, we deal with this problem on a regular basis.

Get a black refuge sack place your mop inside it, gently empty the contents of the toilet using your mob/black bag as a plunger, gently scar advoiding contact with the enamel (do not use any metal products as these may permently mark the enamel) use a suitable toilet descaler as above although using this method a domestic descaler such as harpic in the black bottle will do fine, leave for an hour or 2, scrap off limescale.

H & S: Toilets should be noticed when chemical use has been poured into it and left

good luck
Cleaning ..it for a living

murky

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 10:45:19 am »
As above thats what we do to clear the water, and then use a product from Clover Chems called Breaker, its brill on toilet hard scale and no sorry Martin you dont have to go back next day it works while we are on site doing the rest of the work, might have to scrape it with a plastic thingy buts that all.

Murky

The Great One

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 08:35:33 pm »
Hi

I don't HAVE to leave it but do do on occasions. If the property is empty and no one is going to be in there then it can be the easiest option. Just pour in, go back next day and flush, time taken is 5 mins or less, no elbow grease, no scraping ( so no damage to the toilet)

Most of the time I will clean the toilet and then pour in the acid and then just leave it while I clean the rest of the property and flush before I leave, sometimes I need a loo brush, sometimes I dont.

Depends on time, situation and how bad it is.

Recently did a toilet that 2 other cleaners could not get rid of the limescale, charged £30 for 5 mins work which has now led onto over £300 of work.

Use what you feel comfortable with, as long as it works that's fine.

Regards

Martin 8)

vacman

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 08:49:59 pm »
Am i the only person who puts something around all the loo pans and then realises i could do with spending a penny  :-[

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 10:46:57 pm »
Anyone tried brick cleaning acid?
I had an EOT clean a few months back and NOTHING I normally use would shift the scale, it was the worst I'd ever seen. Got 2.5 litres of brick acid from the local hardware place for €10 and split it equally between the 3 loo's in the house.
30 minutes later, a quick scrub & a flush, job done!!

:)