Fox

Annoying Clients!
« on: November 28, 2004, 01:53:19 pm »
Hi all

I have a contract cleaning a pub seven days a week (I know terrible work!)  The client is usually about 10mins late every day in opening up which as you can imagine is annoying in itself as my poor cleaner has to stand in the cold waiting.

This morning I picked up a text from this client (which was sent at 3.30am) saying that they wouldn't be there to open the pub until 12.  We used to start the cleaning at 8am but because of lateness changed it to 9.30am.  I tried to contact my cleaner to let her know but couldn't get hold of her.  I went round her house but she had left (it takes her an hour to walk to work - no buses Sunday) so went to the pub to wait for her then took her home.

Told the client we couldn't clean at 12.  He wanted to know if I could find someone as they could not open the pub after a Sat night without cleaning being done.  I said I couldn't provide anyone.

The problem is I think he might refuse to pay for todays cleaning even though it was him who changed the times and he knows I will still pay my cleaner.  I am going to charge him anyway and write a letter confirming cleaning times.  He has all my terms and conditions which do cover me if I had to take it to small claims (which I will have no hesitation over) but would rather not go down that route.

So what would you have done in this situation?  Would you have gone and cleaned it at 12 or left them to it?

Fox

Len Gribble

Re: Annoying Clients!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 07:15:23 pm »
Fox

Been there, seen it, and had all the strokes pulled.

My question is the person the landlord, or a manager, sounds like a manager to me.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

martin19842

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 08:09:39 pm »
hi there.

it all depends what the spec for the job says.  we stipulate that the cleaning will take place at x oclock.  Now if you have some decent t and c's you will have a clause in there that states, that if access is denined by the client at the time specified to do the cleaning, then it will be deemed that service has taken place.

therefore the request by client to do a clean at 12.00 would be an additional service.

also to be honest, i would not allow a client to get away with always turning up late to open the premises.  i would have had it monitored for a maximum 10 days, then visited and sorted the matter out.  if you dont do anything about this items then the client believes that they have the upper hand.

if you booked your car into a garage for a service then turned uo 15 minutes late, then you would expect to get the vehicla back 15 minutes after the original agreed time.

so why should cleaning be different, you have agreed the time for cleaning, your cleaner may have other time sensative sites to go on to after the first job, therefore the delay may make them late for other sites. therefore upsetting other customers.

i hope that  makes sense.

regards

martin

Fox

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 10:52:52 pm »
Hi Len and Martin

The guy is the owner of the premises - I think alot of his problem is he is young (early twentys) and is trying to run the bar as an upmarket coffee/champagne bar.  The bar is for over 21's only and the manager is only 19!  Screams to me of 'mummy's money' but hey who am I to question, I just want paying!

Martin - when they are late (all the time!) the cleaner knows that her finish time is 11am and if she misses something so be it, the important things get done first.  This is the first time for a change in hours and like you I think "a job has been arranged, I carry out my side of the deal, not my fault if you don't comply with yours" my terms and conditions state this clearly so no problem there.

Just wondered how others would deal with this and thought it would make an interesting discussion - personally I refuse to be at the beck and call of a client - I will help where I can but felt that this was taking the p and wanted opinions.

Fox

DP

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 12:59:16 am »
Fox
Would have done exactly the same thing. the only thing now is to give him the option to give you the keys or state a specified time and allow him say 15 minutes grace to arrive, after that the cleaner goes home and he is still charged.
                                            - Or -
 >:(  Go round there and kick him somewhere he wont forget, then write "closed due to the idiot who ran it" on the door, then let his tyres down, then enrol him in the army, then report him as a Columbian drug baron, then shoot..........oops :-X  ;D 
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

clifford

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 08:01:50 pm »
i have 4 pub contracts at the moment and i do them all myself so if i didnt do them on time then they wouldnt get done.i tend to tell the owners when i 1st meet them that i would like a key and all 4 have been ok with that so it makes it alot easier 4 me

Done 'n' Dusted

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 08:58:55 pm »
I agree with Clifford, although my Clients are mainly domestic, I stipulate that if they can't be around to let me or my cleaners in, then we need to have a key. My T and C state too, that if entry is not managable through no fault of our own then we will still charge
It ain't clean till it's Done 'n' Dusted!