Clean 'n' Tidy

Expenses
« on: November 25, 2004, 06:43:02 pm »
Hi Guys,

Don't know if anyone can help but I run a domestic cleaning co with carpet cleaning as an added extra.

I have been asked by one of my cleaners to pay for their petrol. I am not sure if this is something that I should do or not. 

I was wondering if anyone else paid petrol expenses to their cleaners aqnd if they do how do they go about it.

Many thanks kim

adl

Re: Expenses
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 07:05:07 pm »
We pay expensis to cleaning staff but only if their is a varience in their work, if they have a normal return trip to and from home to work then we dont, however if they have to go from job to job and their is an obvious costing issue then we willl, it all depends on what they are doing.

regards Dave ADL

Clean 'n' Tidy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 07:10:30 pm »
Dave,

The staff will be going from job to job. Maybe coving upto 3 - 4 jobs per day.

How would I work out the cost to them.

Cheers
kim

martin19842

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 08:12:30 pm »
hi there,

if you know the route then you can calcualte a mileage for it, hey presto x gallons to miles.  just hope they arent driving in a large Jag.

you just need to control it, the other alternative is to pay slightly higher rates and sell it as a perk to the employee.

regards

martin

adl

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 11:09:15 am »
If they are going from job to job and they are covering less than 10 miles for instance then i would consider this a normal days travel to work, however if they are doing a lot more than this then it might be worth buying a little fiesta van or similar getting it sign written and sending them out in that.

If you explain to staff when you take them on that they need a car to get to work and what the job entails then they should have no reason to complain. you will always get a staff member who complains however once you start paying one petrol allowances then everyone will want them. Multiply a normal days travelling to work say 10 miles by the number of days they are working 10X5days =50 miles it costs them a fiver to get to work each week, not even the cost of 2 pints, so in this case let them pay for it themselves, have a system and stick to it.

regards Dave ADL

The Great One

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 03:48:01 pm »
Hi

Staff always complain, it's their job description.

Regards

Martin 8)

Clean 'n' Tidy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 06:49:01 pm »
Thanks Dave for advice.

I have come to a temporary agreement with the staff in question now.

Rgds
Kim

Done 'n' Dusted

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 08:47:27 am »
I only pay if it outside the local travel work area...say 15 miles or more, but I have a sentence in my Terms and Conditions to my customers that I MAY apply that travelling charge to them.......but as I am new to this I Don't know yet whether I would lose customers that way????
It ain't clean till it's Done 'n' Dusted!

Ian Rochester

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 09:33:44 am »
Inland Revenue - Mileage expenses are claimable at £0.40 per mile unlimited mileage.

If they, or even you are using private transport, ie not a van, then mileage can be paid at this rate and is tax deductable from your business.  When I first started out I had a car and trailer and claimed mileage from myself which was tax deductable, I averaged about £400 - £600 per month in expenses. 

I use occasional cleaning staff for builders cleans etc and will pay them this rate to and from jobs, normally only one or two vehicles.