Tina57

cleaning a showhome
« on: January 04, 2008, 07:28:32 pm »
Hi can anyone help have been asked to clean a 4bed showhome twice a week
it has 3 rooms downstairs , am used to pricing build cleans but never done showhouse
befor. I am based in Kent , any help wecomed
Tina : : :D :D

Joe H

Re: cleaning a showhome
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:37:09 pm »
The show houses I have done in the past have usually led to sparkle cleans after the builders clean and before the new owner moves in so its worthwhile getting the job.

Just base it on your hourly rate, bearing in mind you providing the materials as well (which will not be a lot)

Generally its dusting and looking for tiny handmarks on mirrors and glass etc, inside windows etc.
Sometimes dining and kitchen tables are place set so they need to be kept clean & polished, same with wine glasses

Bound to be pale carpets (make rooms look bigger) but these get dirty especially at the entrance.
Do you have a carpet cleaner - even a small spotter type?

Gerry Styles

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:38:44 pm »
Have done 3 last Oct/Nov. Make sure you clefiry exactly what/when. I charged £15.00 per hour
Premier Klean Limited

Tina57

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:56:38 pm »
Thanks for the help, £15 was what I was thinking have got to meet
with site agent mon, he aslo wants site office cleaned
Thanks again
Tina :D

myvanwi

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:46:11 pm »
How did you get this job?

Gerry Styles

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:30:19 pm »
Good luck
Premier Klean Limited

J. Deans

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 03:24:41 pm »
Opps! Might be too late spotting this one!

We have been cleaning the same 4 showhomes for almost 2 and a half years now. They are just selling them off now - only one left.

Furnished, 4 bed 3 floor = £50
Furnished, 3 bed 3 floor = £45
Unfurnished 4 bed 2 floor = £45
Unfurnished, 2 bed flat = £30
Marketing Suite = £20

(Yes you can charge extra for the marketing suite, even if it is in the showhome, because it will have the most traffic, Also toilets, sinks etc will be being used)

We did the initial build cleans, re-cleans, and sparkle cleans before starting the weekly showhome cleans. Then we got the rest of the contract for the site, 127 properties.

Our prices may be a little steep, but we had an inexperienced QS who suggested the prices for us. The contract was signed before anyone in accounts realised his error. But I would still never quote by the hour. You will be asking for problems from the sales staff later on if you don't spend the exact amount of time in each one, or if there is any kind of complaint about your standards. (and there probably will be - sales staff are notorious for being very picky!)

Also, you need to set up a rota of tasks. For example: Windows, inside and out, will need doing on a monthly basis. If they are furnished, you will need to wash things like ornaments and tableware fortnightly. Blinds will need a good clean at least every 2 months. You will also be expected to dismantle fancy light shades to remove dead flies (always worse in summer/autumn) Things like that.

Your weekly rota will just be the usual vacuuming, dusting and polishing, but remember to wipe inside cupboards and drawers and scrub away limescale from the standing water in the toilets. etc.

Hope this helps

martin19842

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 07:11:05 pm »
hi there

j deans

there not that steep, u  might even get a bit more, we used to charge 60 a visit irrespective of size.

absolutele nightmare clean

regards

martin

J. Deans

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 09:06:15 pm »
£190 quid for an average of 2 hours work does seem steep to me.
But then that's also why I wouldn't charge by the hour.

Joe H

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 05:02:28 am »
Do you mean that 1 person did all that in 2 hours!!!???

J. Deans

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 09:45:45 pm »
At first, when the site was young, it might take 2 cleaners 2 hours. But by the last 6 months, all 4 could usually be done in about 45 mins by 1 cleaner!

Bizzie Lizzie

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 07:16:58 pm »
Hi There,

How long do you think it would take to clean:-
3 bed Show home
1 bed show Apartment (1 furnished & 1 unfurnished)
2 bed    "              "       (        "                     "            )

Never done this before, but looks like there will be alot of work out of this job!
Thanks in advance
Bizzie Lizzie

steve m

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 11:42:41 pm »
just a quick note. If your cleaning for taylor woodrow, bryant homes, laings or george wimpey they are about to ask all  cleaners/trades to drop their prices by 7.5% or they will ask you to re-tender

martin19842

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 07:43:04 am »
hi there

steve, some of those guys are cutting staffing numbers as well in offices and on site,  the pinch has started in construction i think,

but watch out, cause in about 3 months you'll find that sites will be calling for even more cleans,

why

less management, other trades will be taking the mick even more, and as we all know the cleaners ar ethe last trade in, so i bet you'll find the phone ringing for mast minute work, recleans etc.

with regard to retender, i suggest that the wet trades will be in the target first, and they may even pull off site if it gets really dirty like re tendering etc, so if i was you keep firm in your position on any re pricing etc.