maclock cleaning

check lists
« on: October 23, 2004, 06:28:33 pm »
hi to all

at the minute we have just started doing letting cleans,
today the guy from letting acgency asked us to do a check list? has anyone done a check list for lettings and if so could you help by telling us wot kind of thgs we should be putting on?????????

thanks maclock.
Newcastle Upon Tyne..........

The Great One

Re: check lists
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 06:44:11 pm »
Hi

Do you mean an Inventory check?

As this is very involved indeed, down to noting scratches on the paintwork!

Regards

Martin 8)

maclock cleaning

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 07:21:52 pm »
hi martin

yeah thats wot i mean could u give us any suggestions please, im working on it now but to be honest dont know where to start

Len Gribble

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 08:10:02 pm »
Maclock

Though I don’t do the general cleaning for estate agents, sometimes I have to pick up the keys and after doing an audit I do make them aware of any stains/problems on the soft furnishing side and sometimes charge extra!

You may have the same scenario as me Is the bloke passing the buck to you, world have thought it was there responsibility to note any damage done by the former tenant.  Would have thought you could charge extra for this?

I understand where you coming from you only need a jolt.

Draft a generic list of articles that you clean add a space for damage, example lounge door when opened fully damaging wall or glass cracked in main bedroom, some thing down these lines.

Len

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

maclock cleaning

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 09:15:45 pm »
len

thanks for this........starting up is harder than i actually thought it was going to be? but at the same time i know its going to be worth it, hard work pays off.

im filling in my forms for the carpet cleaning course so lets hope get some business with that too.....anyways len thanks again for taking the time......

maclock

martin19842

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 11:00:46 pm »
if they want an inventory check, then they need to pay for it, my brother in law is in lettings and i know a lot of people in the market.

Inventory clerks, ie the people doing the inventory will chg between £75 and £150 per inventory check.  depending on location and property size.

therefore your client is trying it on.

remember charge for the service and increase the turnover, and then the profit.

a few inventory checks at £75 a time is nice.

they would alsoexpect all the meter readings and a key inventory aswell.

regards

martin

The Great One

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 10:53:32 am »
Hi

Both Len and martin are spot on.

You need a dicta-phone and basically as soon as you go into the property you start talking to yourself on tape.

'' front door is white in colour but is marked in the top left corner, it opens fine. Inner door is off white in colour and is cracked down side with 2 nails acting as coat hooks etc etc etc
You have to note every stain, mark, damage (no matter how minor) if it needs cleaning, do they need an electrician, plumber, decorator etc, etc

meter readings will also be required. Best thing is to buy the dicta-phone and practice on you own place beforehand.

As also stated you will charge for this as you also have to type up what you have written in a format of some kind for the letting agent. There are companies that do this full time.

Good luck!

Regards

Martin 8)

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 07:37:03 pm »
Martin

Very good idea forgot that I have one L& H voice xpress v5 used on ff work sadly did not get on with it! Took a step back in time pen & paper plus the digital camera.

Maclock

I noted that Martin mentioned the other trades don’t recommend any one; they are sure too let you down, your client will blame you, and then you lose! :(

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

The Great One

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 10:52:20 am »
Hi

I hope I understood this correct.

You don't suggest anyone in particular but if the property needs painting you need to mention this, is the washine machine/cooker/fridge/ working/ is the carpet beyond cleaning.

If you do inventory checks you need to teel your client this.

Regards

Martin 8)

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 06:54:08 pm »
Martin

You did

I’m going by experience, twice I have recommended two different trade persons, they went round and quoted it was accepted they never showed, though the client did not blame me, I still felt responsible, the joke of it they are my friends, both still ask haven’t been passed any work lately. That reminds me need to have a word with my nephew, dose any know of any motorway that are being built they may need a stand up type of guy! :-[ :-[

Maclock

You think this is hard wait to you start employing staff, lovely little devils.

Len

The Great One

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 09:57:24 am »
Hi Len

Sorry to hear that mate. Beggars belief? as for the staff issues, had a few recent experiences with them as well.

Maclock

With inventory checks you should do two of them per property. The 1st when the tenants move out and then before the new ones move in, once any work has been completed. Sometimes you may even be required to check in the new tenants and show them what is working and whats been done, not sure if all letting agents work like this, some have different requirements.

Regards

Martin 8)

martin19842

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 09:37:10 pm »
Len,

then you have to give them your shiny van, as i am doing next week, the level of trust you need.

but the boys are shaping up well, and seem to have a level of pride when on site, but i think its because the other trades that we follow round are so messy, we are trying to educate them.

its all good fun

regards

martin

sfpcleaningservice

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 11:33:53 pm »
get your letting agent to be more specific. sounds to me like he wants you to do his job. I always report any obvious problems to the agent but the rest is up to them.
If you have time to do detailed reports then do so but if your like most of us then just concentrate on the cleaning, of course this depends on how much you need this one customer.  :-\