maclock cleaning

how much to charge for doin a letting clean
« on: October 10, 2004, 11:25:35 am »
hiya

can anyone give me a rough guide on wot to charge for doin a letting clean? and would you charge extra for empting cupboards?

maclock cleaning
Newcastle Upon Tyne..........

paul@ctcs

Re: how much to charge for doin a letting clean
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 02:27:09 pm »
We charge £11 per hour per oprative and if we need to make a trip to the dump add £25 :)

Paul

P.S, noticed on another post you plan to charge £17.50 an hour, we work for some high class letting agents and have a reputation thats 2nd to none when it comes to quality of work, IMO your proposed price may be on the high side.

martin19842

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 04:29:02 pm »
some clients would prefer a flat rate per job, the other issue that needs to be considered is the state of the place when a tenant leaves a property, as these vary a great deal.

regards

martin

The Great One

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 05:15:53 pm »
Hi Guys

£11 per hour is extremely cheap in my humble opinion. All my work is for letting agaent and I charge per job rather than a per hour charge.

As Martin has clearly said, it does depend on the state of the gaff.

In my opinion you cannot charge the same for a light clean the same as you would for a minging hovel.

If it takes 12 hours to clean a flat (and it can) then at £11 that would be £132 but it can be possible to charge almost double that depending on different factors i.e.
carpets
 rubbish removal
 oven
cupboards (in & out)
bathroom
windows

Etc etc

Also depends where in te country you are. As you cannot charge the same in yorkshire as you can in sussex.

Regards

Martin 8)

paul@ctcs

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 05:59:53 pm »
We charge extra for carpets(same as normal domestic prices, say £50 a living room) extra for removing waste, extra for ovens,etc. but £11 per hour per operative for general cleaning, often 3 or 4 operatives a job so often the bill comes to £300 plus. we also have a minimum charge for tiny jobs.

Paul

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 02:06:10 am »
Paul, do you give an estimate before starting a job or do they take your word for hours worked.

paul@ctcs

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 11:11:01 am »
Ian, They take our word on it, we have been lucky enough to build a very good relationship with the agents we work for and have no problems at all. Again with regard to price our £11 an hour may sound cheap, but when considering the amount of work we do for the letting agents it pays very well and we obviously can offer good value.

Paul

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 03:59:20 pm »
Paul,

I am just a carpet cleaner but have considered doing full cleans.

I thought £11 an hour was top end for cleaning  other than carpets and windows

martin19842

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 05:32:55 pm »
it all depends where you are in the country,

domestic cleints are paying £15 per hour no question in Cambridgeshire, even more in certain parts as there seems to be a shortage.

and commercial work, well i really looking at getting as much as possible i can get anything from £16- £25 an hour, depending on job, number of bodies etc.

its all about delivering a professional quality service to the clients, drive the price up, not down.

regards

martin

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 06:56:41 pm »
I had better move over the boarder. 

paul@ctcs

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 07:31:48 pm »
Looks like we need to bump our prices up as we are in cambridgeshire!!!

Paul

martin19842

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 08:09:00 pm »
paul,

the weird thing is paul, that i used to be an area sales manager for a national cleaning company and covered north london, herts and cambs.

i did that for five years, and only spent 10 days in cambridge. pricing was an absolute nightmare, now i've jacked in the company car and suit, and am self employed and on the tools.

ive got home tonight after another full day on site, and hey its great. with us putting on our second van on the road its great.

cambridgeshire, can command good rates.

so take care Paul

regards

martin

paul@ctcs

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 08:37:16 pm »
Thanks Martin, Its good to hear your business is on the way up :) Regarding pricing it's tough getting it right and if i could go back in time i would have tried asking for a little more.
 Now we are established we can afford to ask more and if we dont get the contract its not the end of the world, next time i'm asked to quote I'll maybe seek your advice ;)

Regards
Paul

adl

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 10:21:06 pm »
Martin

If i give you a few more of them jobs like brigg you could afford a fleet of vans  ;)

regards Dave ADL

Ps just secured 250 new units for jan

paul@ctcs

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 02:19:42 pm »
Martin, just quoted £16 per hour on a domestic, so I'll let you know what responce i get soon.
 Not holding my breath on this one :)

Paul

martin19842

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 10:09:32 pm »
hi all that sounds good,

Paul, see what they say, if they want the job done then they will pay, i know for a fact that a domestic agency in Huntingdon were charge top part of £12 an hour two years ago, and were attracting £15 an hour in Peterborough.

Dave, just got home from Bristol after looking at another job, canvas walling rising from 3 mtrs to 6 mtrs and all the a/c ducting, self supporting ladders and scaffold towers required.

couldnt get a cherry picker in, as we only like to use the bigger ones, and the finger tip controls on a Hewden might not be accurate enough.

and its another job where i need to move more people than seats in van , I see a lovely double cab white L200 sitting on the drive.

so keep smiling

martin

an

adl

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 12:26:40 am »
Martin just to let you know we have signed off the job in scunny no problems going back on friday to clean the entire outside of the building looks like the big hewden and the saftey harnesses are coming out again.

just done 2 big sites tonight for facility management company up here after the carpet clean they have just asked us to put it on a 6 monthly contract, as well as 2 hostpitals, and 3 kitchen cleans in hostpitals as well, diary getting full untill jan, just been offered another 80 units in liverpool and 180 in lancs for the spring, at this rate we can ditch the diary for 2005 we will be full before the year starts.

yes we have several buffers that you can borrow no problem

regards Dave ADL

sfpcleaningservice

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 01:17:27 pm »
letting agents like to know the price before you clean, I do three types of clean and price accordingly, try to work out a price for a basic clean on a flat then just add amounts for extra rooms and for more extensive cleans. 8)

paulchambers

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 06:12:56 pm »
My patner cath is going to statrt doing house / office cleaning been wondering about pricing

The way i'm thinking is if a letting agent employed someone at £5 per hour then with N I contribution etc it costs the agent £7.19p . Cleaning materials on top of that vehicle etc so i think £15 an  hour is reasonable.    Paul

The Great One

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2004, 06:45:48 pm »
Hi

As a side thought, be careful with letting agents. They can be extremely fussy and can drop you like a hot brick.

Regards

Martin 8)