Tom-01

Oil stain removal - help needed please
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:37:41 pm »
Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a good oil stain remover please for use on block paving? I've tried different ones but not great results. Ideally I don't want to use a pressure washer.

Thanks in advance

Tom

BDCS

Re: Oil stain removal - help needed please
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:05:30 pm »
What do you have if you don't want to use a pressure washer ? Do you have a rotary and a wet vac ? You can look towards a poultice or a wicking product but you'll struggle to get good results. You need to get the slurry out of the substrate with  ????

Jettaway

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 07:33:32 pm »
You'll find with a product like OT8, that after a week or so the stain wont be completely removed, but the stuff stays in the oil after rinsing and it continues to remove the stain for months after. It says that on their website and I have tried it and it does. Did an oil removal on my drive, still looked bad after a week but now 2-3 months later its completely vanished.

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »
Do you think that is because of the product or something would happen anyway  ;) Was that OT8 or Bold ? Enzymes  ;D

Tom-01

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:59:33 pm »
You'll find with a product like OT8, that after a week or so the stain wont be completely removed, but the stuff stays in the oil after rinsing and it continues to remove the stain for months after. It says that on their website and I have tried it and it does. Did an oil removal on my drive, still looked bad after a week but now 2-3 months later its completely vanished.

Thanks Jettaway. Do you rinse of just using a hose? Did you buy the stuff from oiltechnics.co.uk

Thanks
Tom

Jettaway

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:43:25 am »
Yeah thats the stuff from oil technics.

I cant put it down to weathering because its been warm and dry for months

Jettaway

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 02:46:44 pm »
Just looking at poultice as I'm on a stubborn oil removal job at the mo. Had 2 attempts with ot8 but not much joy, although I'm optimistic it'll work over time.

What works better, ot8 or poultice or one after the other. Poultice sounds a lot quicker but does it work?

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 06:22:59 pm »
You need to stop and think how these things work. I use fullers earth to wick fluids from substrates having applied a solvant. The standard degreasers are usually kerosene which may have had the odours removed mixed with an emulsfier to allow it to be washed off. These work well on mineral oils but not so well on synthetic fluids. I use several methods and solvants to remove these fluids depending on whos watching. Soda is very good at breaking down hydro carbons, methanol burns very clean and fullers earth does not require feeding.