A place to chat... > Forum Development Suggestions

How can we make Cleanitup even better?

<< < (2/22) > >>

Mike_Boxall:

--- Quote from: Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus) on November 11, 2011, 09:15:57 pm ---Real names, real profile photos - the site would be a much better place immediately

--- End quote ---

Hi Steve

I think this is a progressive thing that needs to start with a clamp-down on out and out 'stupid' usernames (which shouldn't actually get through as new members now in any case) In hindsight we probably wouldn't have been so relaxed about it in the past but making it more professional is certainly a priority for us.

Thanks

Mike

Mike_Boxall:

--- Quote from: AshWhite on November 12, 2011, 12:34:06 am ---When I view the site on my phone, there's a link I can follow that shows all the unread replies to threads I have commented on, but it's not on the main site?

--- End quote ---

Hi

Not sure about that one (sounds like a browser issue to me but I'm not an expert)

Will ask someone to check to see if it's something we have any control over

Many thanks

Mike

wfp master:
ban all the people who come on just to advertise there products some do it very sneakely others just highjack a thread & say have you tried the bla bla then post a link.

Alex Gardiner:
Cleanitup is certainly an amazingly successful information resource already and credit to those who have worked hard maintaining and growing it.

I would agree that real names are vital to its future credibility. This would take some work , but would need an initial check before allowing a new user to make any posts. Perhaps the need to provide an address which can be third party verified. This would set cleanitup apart from most other forums - it has now got to the size where you can set your own rules rather than following the 'pack' as it were. This would instantly stop some of the rubbish posts and would help prevent deceptive posting.

Any users with a supplier affiliation could be indentified with a symbol in the left hand panel. This would automatically help other users to interpret any comments made by suppliers - such as this chap knows what he is talking about as he has had 10 years experience selling them or if promoting one item over another everyone knows the leanings that a supplier may have. This is done on many other forums and is not linked to advertising just for other users information. Something like a simple 'supplier' logo. If the supplier paid they could then have this as a link to their site.

Perhaps a section in the profile page where you can list years experience in your trade or various trades.

It would also be great to have a section guru who could provide authoritative information. This would be great for protecting those newcomers who need an answer being inadvertently mislead by other newcomers postings about subjects they know little about. For instance an RO guru, a chemical guru etc - this would help prevent expensive mistakes and would raise the credibility of the forum. This is similar to what Wikipedia has had to do in order to be able to be relied upon and taken seriously.

You could even have an ask the guru section for each subject. How you choose the gurus would be tricky though and why would they want to be a guru? Not sure how this could be done.

Obviously some threads are for fun and are not to be taken seriously, but others are dealing with product usage and would benefit from the credibility factor.

Another idea is to have an ask a supplier feature for those suppliers who pay for this. Users could post a question about products, technical issues, etc. and the supplier could interface directly with the other users - obviously as this is my idea you would be happy to waive the usual supplier fee  ;D

www.com:
A supplier section/affiliation will never work, all suppliers work from their own agenda. If a product comes out better than their own, would they openly admit it? no chance. Any 'advice' offered is without doubt tainted at the very least.

Guru's would also not work as there are no real gurus on clean it up. 99% of members are small time operaters (less than 10 employees) and one man bands. Bigger more experienced company heads simply do not go on forums, they are already successful doing what they do. What an earth could a faceless keyboard warrior have in advice?? If in any doubt ask any sizeable company boss on his view on forums, unless they are trying to sell you something (products, services, etc), they don't waste their time.

A Facebookesq login is the only way to go for credibility, if someone refuses to login without that type of account it throws their status/account into question automatically because of lack of transparency. The web is heading this way across the board.

Apart from that, just leave it as it is and stop trying to make it something it s not. An enjoyable bit of banter between window and carpet cleaners.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version