Steve Weatherley

Which vacuum cleaner for stairs?
« on: September 18, 2007, 02:45:53 pm »
I have taken on a contract to look after the cleaning of 3 large blocks of flats. There are lots of halls and stairs to clean so can somebody recommend a good vacuum cleaner to suit this purpose? I currently only use a sebo BS36 but this isn't ideal for doing the stairs.

The Great One

Re: Which vacuum cleaner for stairs?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 04:31:01 pm »
Henry, hands down

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 04:36:53 pm »
Thanks Martin. Do you mean with an extended vacuum hose? (the Henry doesnt sit well on the stairs)

Bertie Boo

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:38:54 pm »
Steve

I back Martin on this, Henry rocks, although literally so because as you pointed out it doesnt sit on the stairs.

You will have no choice but to hold it in one hand and clean in the other OR sit it on a step and hold it still with your knees OR sit it at the bottom of the stairs and do 3/4 then sit it up top and do the other 1/4.

I have an extension hose that i made to use on Henry, prinicply to do high-level dusting (like when i'm up step-ladders) but i dont reccomend it for stairs because it is very dangerous having all that hose around your feet. The idea of a stretch hose (as seen on many uprights) is a gr8 idea in principle as the excess hose retracts as you work towards the cleaner BUT in practice the suction of the cleaner pulls you back and its really awkward to use (not to mention dangerous).

If you want a small cylinder to suppliment an upright then even one of those £20 jobs in Tesco would do for jobs like stairs and of course the smaller they are the more likely it will sit on the stairs. I havent bothered with one because i already have a stack of Henrys.

Stephen

The Great One

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 07:44:21 pm »
Hi

Bertie, that's exactly what i do. I do loads of Student lets (Yummy!) and often have 3-4 flights of stairs from basement to loft and i either carry it or put it on the stair above where I'm standing.

Don't get an extension hose, don't spend cash if you don't have to.

Regards

Martin 8)

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 08:47:11 pm »
definately get a henry, by far the best vac around.

Bertie Boo

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 11:27:35 pm »
Martin

I have more hoses in my garage than i can shake a stick at, so it cost me nothing to make an extention hose  :D

All i did was remove the 'machine end' (threaded end) off a Henry hose and then attach another 'hose end' cuff to the hose. Then i pushed one of those double-ended Numatic adaptors into one of the cuffs. I rarely use this hose as the 2.5 metre Numatic hose is quite long (without being TOO long) but its always in the car as it comes in handy when up ladders and vacuuming on top of kitchen wall units and wardrobes etc.

I seem to have aquired no end of Henrys and all the bits and bobs, but alas no floor tools cos guess what? They're all fooked  :( I have to say i've worn a couple out myself over the years....

Stephen

The Great One

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 08:06:04 am »
HI

On top of kitchen units!!!!

In 4 years I have only been up there once.

I went through 4 scourers and that was using brillo degreaser neat, it took me an hour. Probably hadn't been touched in it's history.

Yeah, I keep losing my attachmnts as well.

Regards

Martin 8)

Derek_Walker

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 04:09:28 pm »
Steve get yourself a backpack vacuum. You will not regret it especially if you are doing halls & stairs on a regular basis. It will cut down on your time and make the job so much easier, also ideal in an office environment.

need a cleaner

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 09:50:24 pm »
backpack hands down :)

Len Gribble

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 01:40:58 am »
Steve

Have to go along with the backpackers, but try before you buy, you can borrow one of mine.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

garyj

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 01:58:56 am »
I thought you'd have recommended a back packer Bertie Boo  :-X

Bertie Boo

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 09:11:28 am »
No dear, you're thinking of fudge packer
 ::)
Stephen

murky

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 09:12:11 am »
I would have gone for a back pack as they are ideal for this kind of job, or, Hoover do a small but powerful vac that is yellow and rectangular in shape so would probably sit up on the step rather than the Henry that is round and wont.

Murky

merlin

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 01:53:43 pm »
Hi  a flat pack would be just the job for me as well but i cant find one in any of the booklets of cleaning supplies that i have .  can you tell me where i can get one and how much they cost

thanks for any help

carol

Bertie Boo

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 07:04:52 pm »
Carol

See this: http://www.thebigclean.co.uk/shop/shopexd.asp?id=105

Do a Google search for 'backpack vacuum' and you'll see more.

Stephen

clemas

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 09:10:11 am »
http://www.clemas.co.uk/html/enviro_backpack_vacuum.html

Attached link shows a back pack vac! Although it is petrol driven so may not be ideal for indoor use.

Cheers

merlin

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 12:49:13 pm »
thanks guys sorry for the delay in thanking you for your reply just got back fom hols will do as you say

cheers carol