nathankaye

hypo first time
« on: June 05, 2016, 03:47:27 pm »
So im sick of not getting all the black lichen off the jobs ive been doing and seen on here the good results of hypo. My batch has come in so want to double check.
Im using it on blocked pathing and so under assumption i will pre wet blocks first. Than use ratio of 1:4 and this ratio is good for concrete slabs??
Also if im doing patio slabs in the grass will i be ok if i pre soak grass n surounding plant life first??
Advice from u experts with hypo would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Mike Halliday

Re: hypo first time
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 05:29:46 pm »
Unless it's really sunny the blocks will still be wet from cleaning.

I don't wet down the grass beforehand, it might touch the sides but nothing that will cause any problems.

I'd be more worried about it running off the drive and staining the path.

4-1 will be ok to start but don't be afraid to go stronger if after 30 mins its still not clean
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 06:24:00 pm »
There are two strengths 10% and 14-15% hypo you can get.
Which one do you have?

Also what spec washer are you using?

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »
There are two strengths 10% and 14-15% hypo you can get.
Which one do you have?

Also what spec washer are you using?

15%
3000 psi but only 8lpm.
From previous peoples comments do i do a wash down first (pref with fsc) and then apply hypo ??   I was hoping for an easy job of hypo first for 10/15mins and then just washing it off
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 07:32:59 pm »
I would say best practice on block pavers with moss and weeds in the joints for a better finish you really need to pw the area first with a turbo nozzle. This will get rid of most black & grey type lichen, algae, weeds etc in the joints and on the substrate.

Then apply hypo afterwards as you want to avoid hypo being over sprayed about the place at high pressure if you apply it before than pw it afterwards. Using an 8 lpm will struggle but still doable but will seem to take forever than say using a 15 lpm and the quicker 21 lpm type washers.

On a side note I don't know why you have a flat surface cleaner for that spec washer as will be totally useless on block paving.

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:56:00 pm »
I would say best practice on block pavers with moss and weeds in the joints for a better finish you really need to pw the area first with a turbo nozzle. This will get rid of most black & grey type lichen, algae, weeds etc in the joints and on the substrate.

Then apply hypo afterwards as you want to avoid hypo being over sprayed about the place at high pressure if you apply it before than pw it afterwards. Using an 8 lpm will struggle but still doable but will seem to take forever than say using a 15 lpm and the quicker 21 lpm type washers.

On a side note I don't know why you have a flat surface cleaner for that spec washer as will be totally useless on block paving.

Totally agree with fsc being useless on block pathing.  I do use the turbo nozel as a preference (strangely enough i find it addictive n search out weeds or something to blast  ;D)
When i started this venture i was over focused on psi/bar and not on lpm......thats been a big learning curve n will be corrected when funds allow.
But i find fsc to be ok on slabs n certain patios as well. Its only a 3000psi 15" quick connect to lance.  Again serves its purpose for time being till build up experience n machine.
But cheers for advice
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:34:20 am »
Just an observation regards to cleaning slippery and grubby hard surfaces it seems now more homeowners are aware of the diy type spray & forget type products available for them to buy in the UK.

I actually quoted a block paved driveway job which was agreed and booked in and after the lady spoke to next door she cancelled. The reason being  was told instead of getting someone to pressure wash it buy a spray & forget type product and do it yourself. Guess what one of the main active ingredients is in these types of products?  ;D  ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 05:37:28 pm »
Just an observation regards to cleaning slippery and grubby hard surfaces it seems now more homeowners are aware of the diy type spray & forget type products available for them to buy in the UK.

I actually quoted a block paved driveway job which was agreed and booked in and after the lady spoke to next door she cancelled. The reason being  was told instead of getting someone to pressure wash it buy a spray & forget type product and do it yourself. Guess what one of the main active ingredients is in these types of products?  ;D  ;D

Are these products any good though donu know?  Genuine question, as i used some chemicals which a client already had to pit on her drive likes of patio magic, i thinknit was called. Apply 1:4 ratio, use watering can or hand pressure pump, brush over and leave for ten minutes n simply rub off.
It was a complete waste of money, i even tried it neat for ten minutes n again for longer and it still didnt shift anything
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 07:23:25 pm »
The cleaners they sell in diy stores are generally not very effective as you found out.
However there are suppliers that sell chems to jo public and trade that are more effective.

simonr

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 10:00:06 pm »
1 of my farmer customers used to use hypo for the paths etc round their guest house, they've now binned it for wet & forget which i think you can get at b&q , its done a great job but took a good few months to show much improvement, looks quality now like.