Gaz Evans

Which pressure washer should i buy?
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:31:32 pm »
Hi guys,

i'm new to this forum and hoping to get a little advice as to which pressure washer i should purchase on my budget (about £800 give or take). I'm looking to run it with an 18" whirl-a-way. Because i'm just starting out i'm only looking to do domestic stuff, driveways and patios etc, so i don't think i require a super poweful machine.

I,ve been doing some research on the web and have found 2 options i think may suit my needs:

1- honda delta 6.5 hp 14 lpm 150 bar (i've read this is good because of its low rpm)

2- honda cobra 11 hp 16 lpm 200 bar (i've read this is good because it's a bit more powerful but the rpm are over double compared to the delta?)

Any opinion or advise would be appreciated. 

cheers

Gaz

rah

Re: Which pressure washer should i buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:11:13 pm »
I recently purchaed a Honda GX-340, doesn;t have any name to it and is the dod's danglies, I also have a gx-160 which has been great, but isn't the fastest thing going.

From what I've read the GX-340/390 engine is a good buy.

Rob.
Life used to be full of up's and downs....now i hardly ever get up a ladder :) .

Gaz Evans

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:26:00 pm »
Thanks Rob....

the 11 hp one is the GX340. I was thinking of getting that over the less powerful one, and your reply has helped me feel less confused over what to get! I'm still not 100% sure but i've got a few days to decide.

thanks again

Gaz

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:46:33 pm »
Neither you want a gx390 engine 13hp anything else will struggle in my opinion

You can get a reduction gearbox for most machines,usually cost a couple of hundred quid more.

Less than 3000 psi will make life hard unless you really up the flow rate
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Gaz Evans

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »
Thanks Mike,

I've found a website (link to follow) the prices seem very low compared to a lot of other websites?? has anyone dealt with or bought anything from this site before and could recommend???

http://www.allpressuresprayersdirect.co.uk/delta-dt15250phr-petrol-engine-driven-pressure-washer-15-lpm-250-bar

cheers

Gaz

Matt Gibson

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 10:48:09 pm »
I bought a brand new pump from these guys. fast delivery and it was the cheapest place i found it. Cant comment on the machine though.

evil genius

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:41:49 am »
There is vat to go ontop of there prices tho. Which is another £240ish so it's going to a total of just over £1400.

What about a second hand machine?
Stratford upon avon & Coventry pressure washing
www.mbsurfacecleaning.co.uk
www.mbuildsc.co.uk

Griffus

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 11:05:52 am »
Thanks Rob....

the 11 hp one is the GX340. I was thinking of getting that over the less powerful one, and your reply has helped me feel less confused over what to get! I'm still not 100% sure but i've got a few days to decide.

thanks again

Gaz

Had this machine for four years and it does a great job and has more than enough ooomph for domestic and light commercial work. It has the GX340 11HP engine.

The flow and psi are what's relevant. 15lpm with 200 bar is pretty much recognised as the standard. At least it is with everything I have read over the years.

http://www.allhomeandgardenproductsdirect.co.uk/rapier-pressure-washer-RT15200PHR

Gaz Evans

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 12:08:13 pm »
Thanks for all the response guys. I'm still struggling to decide because like i said i'm on quite a tight budget. I have seen one for a decent price on a site called jetmac systems.....Anyone know of these guys? they sell on e bay and have had a lot of good feedback.

Griffus

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 12:15:57 pm »
I have bought stuff from Jetmac (Terry).

Never had a problem and happy to recommend.

johnpierce

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 01:11:57 pm »
Hi,

Ive been looking at jetmac to and wonder if this washer is any good

http://www.jetmac.co.uk/shop?pm2_a=show&pm2_id=21

It seems to have the same spec as others but not sure of the make, anyone got one or know of them? what do you think of them?

John

Mart - C

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 02:46:43 pm »
LONCIN Lol dont do it.

Get a second hand brendon washer petrol or diesel . Be careful most are ex hire but saying that they have sat most of the time and are regularly serviced.

Blast Away

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 05:06:34 pm »
LONCIN Lol dont do it.

Get a second hand brendon washer petrol or diesel . Be careful most are ex hire but saying that they have sat most of the time and are regularly serviced.

How would you know a second hand Brendon is regularly serviced?

Brendon is just a name of a company who throw the parts together and slap their logo on it along with a ridiculous price.

I don't see the problem with a Loncin Engine. First machine I ever used was a Loncin engine with a 201 interpump 10 years ago. Was a good runner.

johnpierce

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 09:51:53 am »
LONCIN Lol dont do it.

Thats what worries me, Ive never heard of Loncin, when we did it before we had the honda kit from Jan at tech-clean but I did have a few problems even with that which she sorted for me. I like the honda engine but could do with somthing smaller in actual size (not HP) than the tech-clean one thats what drew me to the Loncin one, anyone got any other ideas of what to buy for for a max of £1000?

Thnx

Mart - C

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 10:12:53 am »
LONCIN Lol dont do it.

Brendon is just a name of a company who throw the parts together and slap their logo on it along with a ridiculous price.

Sorry I thought it said Lifan ffs I had just had a camera down and had a needle it must have still been affecting me lol.  Lochin engines even thought they are chinese are ok but the only thing I buy chinese is special fried rice.
   As for brendons they are very expensive but very reliable that's why hire firms have used them for years. The design is better than most I have used and they use the best parts around. Yes your right they just slap them all together and put their name on the machine just like nearly every other assembler out there from Wesley  to jetmac systems.

The Op has around £800 to spend and IMHO would advise a used brendon  for that price second hand because he is not going to get a top end machine for £800 brand new even if he asembles it himself and puts his own stickers on it with brand new parts. I said ex hire are usually serviced because they are.

All machines are just a frame ,engine ,gearbox,pump ,unloader valve, hose & gun with a name slapped on.  You need to find who uses what pumps etc and then decide what suites you for what you will be doing.

mike roberts

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 10:27:03 am »
We have used Loncin for years currently run 3 m/cs with elec start no problems. Only concern I would have with model shown above is the pump, as it looks to be direct drive.

As for 'ex hire' having seen how our local hire centre works, I would not touch a ex hire p washer with a barge pole, but that might be just our 'local' shop.

As stated its what works for you - If i was in your position I would be looking for a local company to supply / service machine and build relationship with them. Any probs in future simple pass it to them they are the experts!  

Blast Away

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 03:13:23 pm »
Hire pressure washers get ragged and misused. I wouldn't recommend one either. You'll more than like end up buying a new unloader or valves and seals for the pump than you would buying from an individual on ebay.

Mart - C

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 03:30:14 pm »
TBH I would not recommend a ex hire one either I did say Be careful.

Gaz Evans

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 09:55:49 pm »
We have used Loncin for years currently run 3 m/cs with elec start no problems. Only concern I would have with model shown above is the pump, as it looks to be direct drive.

As for 'ex hire' having seen how our local hire centre works, I would not touch a ex hire p washer with a barge pole, but that might be just our 'local' shop.

As stated its what works for you - If i was in your position I would be looking for a local company to supply / service machine and build relationship with them. Any probs in future simple pass it to them they are the experts!  
Hi Mike,
I was wondering if you would have the same concerns about the pump if you were only intending on using the pressure washer 2 or 3 times a week?
The reason i'm asking is because i work 4 days a week part time and i  was intending to clean driveways and patios a couple of days a week to start out with just to see how much interest i get.

If it all goes to plan i will get a decent amount of work and in the future can reduce my hours at my other job to 3 days a week and  look at getting a more expensive / reliable  washer and generally build my business up.

johnpierce

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 08:15:52 am »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info on the Loncin, could you please explain the "direct drive" bit? what should I look out for or whats the alternative, as said in the post above by Gaz we also will only be using it a couple of times a week (if we can get the work) due to other commitments

Thanks John