deanorfc

Whirl Away leaving streaks
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:59:53 pm »
I have hired a whirl away on castors and its connected to a 3000 psi pressure washer.

While cleaning its leaving circular streaks in the paving and doesnt seem to be working very well.

Has anyone any advice or help please, i have good jobs coming up tomorrow and friday and need the whirl away to be working properly.

Roger Oakley

Re: Whirl Away leaving streaks
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:07:50 pm »
You might have a blocked nozzle, or you could be walking to fast for the streaking.
Is it spinning correctly?
If you are hiring it I would take it back if none of the above apply.

deanorfc

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »
Dont seem to be walking too fast, nozzles seem to be ok.

I used the black surface cleaner with no castors a few years ago and that was brilliant they were a bit dearer than the whirl-away, i never had any problem with streaks. Is this flat surface cleaner better than the Whirl-Away ?

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:21:27 pm »
I had that problem when I used no2 grade grease - I now use a 0 grade grease which is better

deanorfc

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:25:11 pm »
Whats grease ???

Roger Oakley

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 04:15:08 pm »
Dont seem to be walking too fast, nozzles seem to be ok.

I used the black surface cleaner with no castors a few years ago and that was brilliant they were a bit dearer than the whirl-away, i never had any problem with streaks. Is this flat surface cleaner better than the Whirl-Away ?

Don't know, what make was the "Black" one.
As BDCS said it might need greasing. I don't use a Whirl-away but I think you can lower the spray arm, I am sure someone will be on here later that uses Whirl-away's and will be able to give you a few tips.

Blast Away

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 04:24:04 pm »
Check the nozzles are lined properly. You might have one or even both not lined the right way. They can come loose. Put some Loctite on the threads and line them. No Loctite? Plenty of ptfe tape.

APWS

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 04:37:58 pm »
never mind trying to solve the problem yourself if it's hired take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it or replace it, one of my rotary's is a whirl a way and it has worked perfectly the two years i have had it.
!! if it can get dirty it can get clean !!

trevor perry

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 04:41:30 pm »
turn upside down and start it running if there is water coming out of a small hole aswell as the 2 nozzles then an inner o ring has gone and will need changing, if this isnt the problem and none of the nozzles are blocked then you may need to raise or lower the bar a little to get the best setting.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

jaespray

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 07:45:23 pm »
you could try a extra spacer washer on each wheel    water "bounce" could be slowing the arms
allow the flow rate to do some work
regards john

Blast Off Stoke

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 08:04:04 am »
Either any of the above or theres not enough water coming through,check your filters on your washer.
Do as Trevor says and hold the arm and make sure there is an even jet out of both nozzles,obviously dont point it into your face !! ;D

deanorfc

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 10:52:55 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.

I took the nozzles off, think there was a bit of blockage in 1.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 08:33:10 pm »
Circles is normally due to the rotor not spinning correctly, insufficient water pressure, blockage of a nozzle or main bearing has gone.

Len Gribble

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 09:47:13 pm »
Or you are to fast with it
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

jaespray

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »
my whirl away left streaks today      checked wheels   tyres slightly worn   axle stubbs also slightly worn  fitted extra spaceing washer   no more streaks
regards john

Roger Oakley

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 07:59:09 am »
Thanks for the help guys.

I took the nozzles off, think there was a bit of blockage in 1.

So the first reply was right  ;)