wayne zabel

What would you do next?
« on: May 03, 2013, 01:20:26 pm »
About 3 weeks ago I did a small job,only £40,it was a walkways in a bedroom and a stairs and landing.Nice propery on a nice estate.

When I started the job I was asked by the custy if I would take payment by BACS as he had no cash and no cheques,I said yes and give him by bank details on departure.

On completing the job I did small walkthrough with him and explained that one stain at the top of stairs wouldn't budge,he seemed happy with things and asked for a card.

I gave my bank details and he told me he would put the money in that day.After a week of no money transfering I looked in my diary with a view to calling him and reaslised I hadn't taken his number.I wrote a small letter to him asking if all was OK and if he would pay the money.

I never heard a thing from him,so I wrote another letter asking again if he had a problem with the job and asking why he still hadn't paid.Again Ive not heard a thing.No call to say he isn't happy with job ect, nothing.

What is the next step?Another letter of a more official nature or visiting his house and confronting him there.

It now seems odd that that he said he didn't have a cheque as he spent all the time I was there in a study/office and on reflection it looks like he was running a business there.

I know we are only talking about £40,but its the principle.I could understand if he had called me to express disatisfaction with the job,but Ive heard nothing at all.

Any advice.

Phil @ Extreme Clean

Re: What would you do next?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:33:26 pm »
Go round and see him face to face there could be a simple reason why no contact but best to go round than send letters he could be ill or away.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

neil 47

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:39:29 pm »
 send a invoice ,then move on youve wasted enough time , the time spent chasing it you could of earn
ed  more
IICRC

Neil Jones

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:54:44 pm »
Definitely go round, you need to speak to him face to face, may be a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why he hasn't paid you. If it then turns in to a pain because he hasn't paid again then drop it, don't let it consume you. I've just had one for quite a bit of money as well, ended up getting the bulk of it but in the end I just didn't want it to dictate my life because it was making me so angry.

*Hector*

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 06:40:05 am »
http://www.thomashiggins.com/pages/costs_and_fees.aspx

http://www.greenwoodandco.com/

instruct either of the above to send a debt owed letter. Usually works. If not you can further instruct them to send a letter before action. Then initiate court proceedings.

None of this causes you any stress or worry, as it is done online and you can then forget about it.

OR.... you can let the robbin barsteward get away with it..
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Nick Attwood

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 10:07:01 pm »
Agree with Hector, recently used Thomas Higgins for the first time a good easy service to use. I would of gone round there though before now!!!

Mike Gwilliam

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 10:51:15 pm »
I never heard a thing from him,so I wrote another letter asking again if he had a problem with the job and asking why he still hadn't paid.Again Ive not heard a thing.No call to say he isn't happy with job ect, nothing.

I would say you'v bent over backwards already.....and for a mere £40!

I seem to be getting these more recently. the latest one being a long term customer who I sent 3 reminders and  a phone call for a £220 job and nothing.

I have been doing work for these people for years.....but they totally ignored or were too busy to pay.

I sent a registered letter saying that if payment not recieved within 7 days legal action would be taken to recover the amount without further notice. It was paid online within 2 days.

Another one was a famouse footballers wife who totally ignored any corespondence for a £100 job untill I took her to the small claims court.....she sent a letter that she forgot! ??? and she was nearly landed with a CCJ....it's beyond me!

In your case I would add £20 for admin and postage costs.

Your the one doing all the work.....I would just send a final registerd letter with your costs.

the registered letter usually does the trick!

bennymon

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:19:52 pm »
Pop round one evening if you get him on the door step chances are he will pay . If he has no cash offer him a lift to the cash point if he doesn't want to give him a f####ng good hiding at least you will feel better  ;) ;) del

derek sharp

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 12:24:54 pm »
did a job in a very large house last year and was told when finished ......oh I haven't got my cheque book with me.......
quite a strange thing to say considering your standing in your own house don't you think...
anyway after 2 weeks of constant phone calls she eventually paid up saying she had simply forgot all about it ......very convenient.....

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 06:58:15 pm »
if people pay me by BACS i stand over them and make sure they put the payment through and its IMMEDIATE
never had a problem

wayne zabel

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:20:14 pm »
Thats what I will do in the future.Never had this before in 3 years trading.

I have sent a final letter and invoice,after that I dont think its worth the hassle for £40 now.

As they say " revenge is a dish best served cold" - I might pass by with a couple of minging buckets of water and chuck them on his car in a few months time.

Mike Gwilliam

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 06:27:19 pm »
I know we are only talking about £40,but its the principle

I would agree Wayne....I once spoke to the small claims help line people regarding the footballers wife and  asked him if I was being un reasonable chasing the debt. he said, look she hasn't paid you and you have every right to make a claim no matter what the amount.

I made the claim online and printed off the claim document to which I posted a copy by registered letter. She sent the money the following day.
If I had this posted to me I would be horrified as it explains what will happen if you don't pay and judgment is made against you.

Although it's only £40 you are quite within your rights to add your costs for chasing the debt....probably more time than spent on the job.

The funny thing is, these people don't forget that their stuff needs cleaning....they don't forget to call to arrange a quote and don't forget to be in when you go to do the job.

Personally, i wouldn't let it go