wayne zabel

Crime Prevention Magazine
« on: May 09, 2012, 01:35:20 pm »
Has anyone else had a call from a clown saying he's from the Crime Prevention Magazine?

Had a call this morning that went something like................

Him...Good morning sir is everything all right there?

Me.....Yes thanks

Him......Its Fred from the Crime Prevention Magazine

Me....No thanks goodbye.

30 seconds later phone goes again and as happened first time no number visible on my moblile.

Him....Did the line go dead there sir?

Me....No I told you Im not interested.

Him.....Im not selling today sir,I'm just letting you know that the artwork has been done and we are ready to go to print and Im sending you an invoice in the post.

Me....What are you on about,I dont know anything about this?

Him....Sir in January you made a verbal commitment to advertise in our next issue and you are down for a 1/4 page for £249 plus VAT.

Me....Sorry there must be some mistake

Him...Sir you made a verbal commitment in January it was on a Friday.

After much more heated discussion I told him he was talking through his anus and to go forth and multply.

It will be interesting to see if I get an invoice posted out but I know for a fact I never made any verbal commitment for such a publication.

The irony is that the obvious scam is for a crime prevention publication!!!!!

Anyone else had this?

Steven Lawrence

Re: Crime Prevention Magazine
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:03:37 pm »
yep iv had it! i just asked them to prove it! if it was verbal they will have a recording of it...

Helen

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:35:12 pm »
The same scam that just changes the 'reason for publication' ie Fire, Police, Ambulance, Hospitals are the favorites.

Just tell them to take you to court.... there's no way they will go through with it as they can't afford to be 'legally found out' for what they actually are.

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:00:54 pm »
If they tried this with me and sent me an invoice I'd wrap one of my dog's turds in it and send it back to them in a box, tied up with a bow, with hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top.

Helen

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:59 pm »
If they tried this with me and sent me an invoice I'd wrap one of my dog's turds in it and send it back to them in a box, tied up with a bow, with hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top.

wouldn't waste the hundreds and thousands ;D ;D

John Kelly

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 06:09:22 pm »
Just boils my urine how bloody stupid this country is. These swines have been doing this for 20 years and they are still getting away with it.

clinton

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 07:03:39 pm »
To true john and just stand  your ground as they look for the ones that will pay up.

Craigp

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 07:52:40 pm »
They did it to me, said they had printed 20k booklets with my ad in, they said I agreed months ago! Lol

I said "oh dear oh dear, what you gonna do with all them booklets!?" in a sarcastic voice, They could tell I wasn't buying it and hung up.

But my new one is this, when they say they spoke to you in March or whatever I say, "NO I NEVER" with absolute conviction, her "ermm yes you did sir"  me "NO I NEVER!" again with absolute conviction, they start to feel stupid cus they no your on to them.

Or try "what you wearing" whilst breathing heavy  ;D

craig melvin

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:08:29 pm »
fell for it years ago ! but had to learn !

had calls since - no direspect but were scousers !!!

craig

AshWhite

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:15:29 pm »

Fixed.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:52:48 pm »
I was told to f-off by one a few years ago after i told him no thank you! (when i actually used to listen to thier pish before telling them I was not intrested) << He was also a police magazine peddler.

Another lady (or cow) phoned me back after I hung up on her and used a few F's and C's before hanging up on me!

I hate the lot of em! I just hang up on them noadays. And if i am not in a customers home when they call I usually get the swear words in first before hanging up!  :P

fenman

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:44:10 pm »
I have just been conned out of £20 by a bunch of scammers.
5 years ago I got a call from a company who asked if I wanted to renew my Sky insurance as it was about to expire.
They did not actually say that they were sky but phrased everything to make you believe they were.
I agreed to " renew " my insurance and " confirmed " my direct debit details.
After a few months I realised that I was paying these shysters as well as the official Sky insurance.
I cancelled the direct debit and thought no more about it.
Last week ( 4 years later ) I got a letter saying there had been a problem with my direct debit and they were going to take me to court.
So I rang them and told them where to get off and told them they had no chance of ever getting anything out of me.
They still threatened me with court action which they said would give a black mark against my address etc but for a one off cancellation fee of £20.00 they would go away.
Through gritted teeth I paid the £20.00 because I could not take the chance however remote of having a black mark against my address which is also my business address.
I know £20.00 is not a lot but what a load of scamming b******s

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 04:34:11 pm »
We have this scam nearly every month from Police etc magazines.My friend got scammed a couple of years ago 400 pound.