TVCS

Staff?????????/
« on: November 21, 2009, 09:51:29 am »
Hi folks,
we run a small cleaning business.  Mostly working for a local housing association, cleaning and sometimes decorating void properties.  A month or 2 ago we landed a contract to clean a local ( small ) college.  2 hours a day.  Since then, thanks to our van being spotted at this college we have landed 3 more contracts, cleaning an office and factory unit and 2 large homes.  We are flat out with the housing association work and it is becoming a real struggle to get round everyone at the moment so i was wondering what would be the best route when it comes to taking someone on.  I was thinking about getting someone on board to handle the cleans.  can you take someone on, on a self employed basis?  Or is it best to actually employ someone and give them a fixed amount of hours per week. 
I am planning a meeting with our accountant to go through it with him but thought i would ask you pro's on here first, because I'm sure there are a thousand things to consider.

If anyone can offer any advice, i would be very appreciative

Cheers
Anthony
Teme Valley Cleaning Services.
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

Missy dusty

Re: Staff?????????/
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 11:06:54 am »
Hi there,I cant advise, but this was something I was thinking of doing .If you do a search I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago ..Employing staff self employed ..from the replies though appears its better of employing them through yourself.
 Aw and Buisness Link is an excellent place for advice on employing. ;)
 Goodluck.

daz1977

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:35:58 pm »
hi  if i was you i would employ people on 16 hour contracts, as they will b able to get tax credits then as well, any thing less than a 16 hour contracts isnt worth working,

the people who you will probably be employing is women with kids, and  they wouldnt want the hassel of being self employed,  any decent accountant whould have a program to do this and make ur life easier

TVCS

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:36:59 am »
thanks for the replies,  I will have a word with biz link.  I read somewhere that if you take someone on thats been on the dole for 6 months or more, you get a £1000 payment if you keep them on.  I think it might be worth looking into. 
cheers
anthony

Adam P

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:50:40 pm »
only if you manage to give them enough hours to take them off the dole and keep them off for a fair amount of months.

i looked into this, and although a bonus if you're going to do something that would give te payment, if you weren't and are going to end up giving them more hours then needed for that £1000 it could end up being a huge mistake.

TVCS

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 01:16:21 pm »
I think it is 16hrs per week minimum for at least 6 months.