TVCS

anyone bought a pressure washer from the usa?
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:57:47 pm »
Hi guys.

Our trusty pressure washer died last week ( thankfully it was at the end of a big job)  and I am now thinking of buying new and fixing up the old one as a spare.
Been looking at a few suppliers and the USA suppliers are really well priced.  just wondering if anyone has bought from Merril or simular and what sort of delivery times can be expected.  Do you end up paying the same as a UK supplier by the time you add the shipping cost on? .

I hope this makes sense.  Any input greatfully received as I have jobs lined up and need to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Thanks folks
Ant
TVCS
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

BDCS

Re: anyone bought a pressure washer from the usa?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:32:33 pm »
You need to consider that you will have to pay import duty and vat when it gets to the Uk, Us kit is usually plumbed up with NPT not BSP as we have in the UK and Europe. I'm all for saving money and theres many on here that have imported from berril but its worth having a good look here from the likes of tech clean or Pete Stevens at valetech or high pressure designs. Make sure that the engine is actually the likes of Honda and not a chinese clone that you can't even buy a recoil spring for! I have an American kohler on my jetter which is top kit but it takes a week to get spares and longer if customs decide so  :'( . It may be cheaper to import but weigh the pro's and cons before.

drive surgeon

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:42:21 am »
superb merril fox!  full set up, half the price! ;D

TVCS

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:57:21 am »
Thanks guys for the input.

Good points BDCS I'll bear them i mind. 
Working to a pretty tight budget at the moment ( the wifes credit card,tee hee)  after stripping down our old pressure washer I think it is a clone , D'oh.

I will look around a bit more but at the moment I think The new one will be born in the USA.

Thanks
ANt TVCS

BDCS

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:03:43 am »
Most of the kit that comes out of the States won't be made there, its only the likes of briggs and kohler etc. Hondas are even starting to manufacture in china because its cheaper, interpump are Italian origin so you never really know what your getting. Its the high taxes we get here and the strong pound that makes importing cheaper but thats the main thing - MONEY  !! I have an American soda blaster thats a HEAP -  6 weeks to get an US speck pneumatic valve  anybody want it Cheap

david_m

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:52:20 am »
Hi all

Importing from amercia is no big deal.
all the extra stuff works out at about an extra 25% of the machine and delivery so say your machine and delivery was £1000 then add 25% £250 and thats about what it will cost you.

With the fittings, you could  price it with out external fitting and  put them on your self over here.You should be able to buy a bigger power washer from the states for your budget than over here consider getting a heater as well
in with the deal but go with a bigger power washer first, gets through the work much faster and easier.
Bought one from merrill about 18 months ago 20hp with a heater paid
£4000 all in and lifted it at the airport.

The first thing i done was change all the external fitting on the power washer to bigger inlet and out let and put a back feed valve on and put a much bigger unloader on the machine as well ran much smother after that. Have had a few problems with the burner but managed to sort them out now. I think the main problem was i had it bolted down directly to the trailer without any rubber bushens in between so it tended to take all the bumps in the road.

Main question is would i do it again yes i would the only thing i would change is get a bigger machine and put the extra money towards it and buy it without any external fittings and put my own on to suite me

Davy

dandandan

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:20:40 am »
Yes i got the whole kit off Hal at merrill,it was delivered in 4/5 days,Hal answered every question i had very quick and sent me free spares,connectors,o-rings etc.I still buy off them and ask them for any advice,the only change i did do was to change all my connectors to ones, available here,Pirtec did it all for £40,but Merrill still sent me the spares,i have just had new spare tips and another rotary turbo nozzle delivered as you couldn`t do without one.If you e-mail merrill you get an answer even if your not buying,i asked at least 20 questions and got sound advice before i purchased.I did flap a bit when it was all delivered as i was totally green but i just kept e-mailing them(they vever cracked ha ha) and have been up and running for 3 months with no problems,get in touch with them and you will soon realize how helpful they are.I ordered that much gear that i got stung for import duty but i was still well in and saved about £500.Good luck dan.  p.s.if your budget is tight leave the fsc and get the turbo nozzle as they are brilliant.

TVCS

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:15:57 pm »
dan,
I have all the fsc and the like so its just the machine I was after.
What connectors will neeed to be changed?    I was going to order a new machine and a new engine for my old machine but I dont really want to get stung with the import duty so I might just get the new machine,   
I have emailed Hal and am still waiting for a reply. 
Thanks for all the advice so far
Ant
TVCS

dandandan

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:52:51 am »
You don`t have to change the connectors,i had a leak in one of mine and had no spares,they were going to take 4 days to get here and i had 3 jobs to do so i got pirtec to change the quick change connectors on my hose ,lances and fsc to one i could buy in the uk,it was only buttons,the original brass one arrived from te usa but Hal sent them free anyway,when you order your gear tell hal to send you some spare connectors and o-rings.I use the closed end connectors now,they have been great,don`t drip etc.if you just buy the machine you won`t get stung that heavy on the duty,you`ll still be well in,i had extending pole,lances,hoses, honda machine,fsc the full monty and only paid about £350 on the lot.good luck dan.what e-mail address did you use for hal?

niceandclean

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 05:11:13 pm »
I bought all my gear from Merrill last year, great advice and service. The whole set up was much cheaper than it was here. Defo recommend them!

dandandan

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:49 pm »
Import duty clint,i changed quick connectors on hoses,fsc and lances thats all mate.

TVCS

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 09:12:43 pm »
what e-mail address did you use for hal?

I have used the contact details on the web site.  He replied tothat and told me to use the email address he replied with for future emails but,  he isnt replying anymore.  So I tried again with the contact page of the website.   Annoying really as I want to get it ordered asap.

dandandan

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 08:33:08 am »
Thats right clint,i should of got spares sent with kit really,i`ve got both sets now anyway and merrill sent them free,i got spare tips for lances as well as 2 of them flew off never to be found cos i hadn`t pushed them on properly,ha ha,good job i wasn`t pointing lance at anyone.Merrill sent spare o-rings as well but i haven`t blew any yet,touch wood.dan

TVCS

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 02:49:11 pm »
still no response from Hal!!! :( :(

drive surgeon

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 05:53:08 pm »
keep in their ant, merril fox is a legend. ;)

dandandan

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 08:28:12 pm »
did you get a honda machine drive surgeon?dan

drive surgeon

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 09:41:36 pm »
whirlaway 20"  first class kit and service dandandan!

TVCS

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 12:13:20 pm »
Got a reply from merril this morning.  Ha ha, will be making my order next week with him.

Thanks for the input and info chaps.  I will be whirlybopping my way thro this back load of work before you know it.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 08:05:45 am »
Hi guys.

Our trusty pressure washer died last week ( thankfully it was at the end of a big job)  and I am now thinking of buying new and fixing up the old one as a spare.
Been looking at a few suppliers and the USA suppliers are really well priced.  just wondering if anyone has bought from Merril or simular and what sort of delivery times can be expected.  Do you end up paying the same as a UK supplier by the time you add the shipping cost on? .

I hope this makes sense.  Any input greatfully received as I have jobs lined up and need to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Thanks folks
Ant
TVCS

We imported a trailer mounted machine earlier this year, it can be straight forward as long as the American shipping agent gets their act together. Even with customs, import duty and VAT plus the extra shipping costs it still worked out cheaper.

craig b

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 11:00:02 am »
if you dont mind me asking how much savings our we talking about is it a good few hundred..

going  to get myself a power washer... just trying to absorb some info on them

Roger Oakley

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 11:36:26 am »
Craig b,
The spec of the machine & trailer we bought is different to anything I could have bought over here. But a ball-park figure of the closest if we could had got one made over here saved about £4-5000 pounds.
Our smaller machines are all UK bought though.

dandandan

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 02:38:31 pm »
you will save mate but to put your mind at ease ring round or check net for prices then get in touch with merrill fox,good luck,dan

craig b

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 04:14:19 pm »
thats a pretty good saving....  if its over £150 i save i will try merril fox
 i would love to buy local.  like the thoughts of them servicing and  fixing it when it breaks down.
i will have a wee look round iam sure i will be asking more questions.

many thanks

rob fryer

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 08:28:57 pm »
Just been offerd a 10 hp hatz diesel with electric start for £650 plus vat brand new good for an upgraid

TVCS

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 10:16:58 am »
Just placed my order on with merrill.  Got to wait now for the shipping to be calculated so I can complete my order. 

Thanks for all the input and advice on this topic.   Very helpfull. 
Ordered a 13hp cold water machine and a turbo nozzle.( i already have all the other bits and bobs)

Cant wait.
Ant
TVCS

dandandan

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 02:49:24 pm »
If u need repairs and service i`ve got a good bloke who`s mobile in the north west,Dan

TVCS

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 07:24:39 pm »
getting frustrated now. >:(

Tried to place order on line.  couldnt as the shipping needed to be calculated etc etc etc.

Emailed Hal, again but no reply. :-\

Phoned at 7 this evening ( about 2 pm usa time)  to be told Hal wont be in for a few days.  Can anyone else help.  No, Hal does  the overseas orders.

ARSE :'(

The wifes credit card is just sat there waiting to be abused used.

Ant
TVCS

BDCS

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 08:38:16 am »
What happened to the legendary service ? What happens when you get an awkward warranty issue and you need the gear for a big job and nobody else deals with overseas ? What happens when the legend goes sick unexpectedly

Roger Oakley

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 12:37:43 pm »
TVCS
If you need a machine quick, give Tech-Clean a call, they will have you set-up and running in 24-36 hours. We've had a Tech-Clean set-up for 3 years now, can't fault it or their customer service.

Blue Sky 2

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 12:55:54 pm »
Second that ,Tech-Clean great service. Very down to earth.

John

dandandan

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 05:22:40 pm »
"Merrill Fox" <merrillfox@earthlink.net>
try this address mate,dan

drive surgeon

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 05:45:55 pm »
you need merril fox not hal!   ;)

Kleen Machine

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 06:01:04 pm »
Sorry to disappoint you BDCS but I am still alive. Was having a cardiac stress test done yesterday in the hospital. I guess not everyone can be a superman like yourself.
Thank you for the order TVCS greatly appreciated

Hal

TVCS

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 06:39:42 pm »
Spoke to Hal today and placed order.
Nice chap and very helpfull.

craig b

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 06:43:25 pm »
ant what was the damage..

TVCS

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 08:13:35 pm »
89 bucks for turbo nozzle, 1200 bucks for machine and about 350 for shipping.
Just over £820.

craig b

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 08:23:11 pm »
if you dont mind me asking ..
what was the spec..?
is ther vat and tax duty to go on top..

i can get a honda 13hp  21lpm with turbo nozzel  £1150 vat included

TVCS

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 08:50:55 pm »
A 4000psi Honda 13hp machine.   With hoses etc and lance. 4GPM ( i think it works out to about 18 lpm.  not sure of conversion), and a turbo nozzel.
 It actually came to £805 and some pennies  in total.

craig b

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 09:39:16 pm »
is there no extra charge when i comes over the water...
if thats every thing in its  a super deal

Roger Oakley

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 11:06:14 pm »
A 4000psi Honda 13hp machine.   With hoses etc and lance. 4GPM ( i think it works out to about 18 lpm.  not sure of conversion), and a turbo nozzel.
 It actually came to £805 and some pennies  in total.

I think you need to add import duty & Vat to that total as a minimum.
The pump will determin the lts per min, but at a guess 15 lts per min.

BDCS

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 09:14:53 am »
US gals as quoted by the Americans are smaller than the good old British Gallon, Thats where confusion starts - they should quote in litres when selling into Europe IMO

Kleen Machine

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 03:14:46 pm »
The pressure washer is a Honda GX390 with a Comet ZWD4040
pump. The pump puts out 4000PSI (275.790 bars) @ 4.0GPM (15.141litres) per minute.
There is import duty & Vat when it arrives at the airport.

Hal

sage cs

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 05:23:32 pm »
Hal @ Merrill Fox

Sent you two emails please take a look at your inbox
thanks
Stuart

TVCS

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2008, 10:12:04 pm »
Import duty works out to about £50 and vat aswell.  All in all it comes in at a few bob over a grand.  Plus diesel money to brum airport to pick it up.  (at todays prices the diesel my be the most exspensive part. ;D ;D

dandandan

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2008, 08:49:14 pm »
Pay the extra for delivery to your door,they will bell you when it lands from the USA.good luck pal,Dan

drive surgeon

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2008, 10:25:26 pm »
did you ring hal or email him?

TVCS

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2008, 11:41:15 pm »
I emailed him, but I think his emails were not getting back to me ( now and again I have trouble with my broadband)  so I phoned him in the end.  Decent chap, sorted everything really promptly. 
(well i hope so, I'll confirm that when I open my crate from the states lol) 

Dan, I was thinking about paying the extra but now its all sorted and according to Hal it left him today, I guess I'll have to pick it up.  Or do you mean when they call me to say its landed I can sort delivery then? 

dandandan

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 08:53:13 pm »
Yes,i think Hal uses UPS,they will ring you for payment of the import duty when the gear arrives so just tell them you want to pay the extra to your doorstep,you can give the driver the import duty plus the extra delivery payment in one go,the washer weighs a good bit so it`s worth it mate,dan

TVCS

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2008, 06:46:37 pm »
I got a fax and a call from ups yesterday regarding the pressure washer.  they estimate I should have it on Tuesday of next week.   it left merril fox on Tuesday.   

TVCS

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 12:10:10 am »
I have ordered the machine, it comes with hoses and lance etc and I ordered a turbo nozzle too.

dandandan

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 01:14:46 pm »
I was totally green and it took me a good few hours to set wheely bin kit up and sort it all in van.Plus i nwas bugging Hal and people on here for tips(thanks everyone)If i was doung it again it would take me an hour tops.Everythings quick connect.I don`t think you really need wheely kit,you probably could just throw pipe into top of bin as it sucks it out anyway,ball cock water stop is a must so you don`t flood the van,i got a reel off pirtec as well,100 foot of hose is a pain to reel in,i have 100 foot on reel and 50 foot hanging in van for rare larger jobs.Don`t forget spare o rings and connectors.You won`t go wrong with merrill,mine took about a week to land on the doorstep.I`ve just got another turbo nozzle and a rotating brush for my extending pole for cleaning fascia boards etc,plus some extra tips for my guns as i`ve lost 2 by not making sure they are in properly before firing,ha ha

TVCS

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 05:45:01 pm »
Just spoke to UPS and they are delivering on monday. 
I think I might have a beer or 2 to celebrate.

TVCS

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:02 pm »
Phone call this morning at 11;30.  The delivery driver phoning to tell me that my address is not on his sat nav. 
So i give him directions, which he doesnt really listen to.  I am about 30 mins away he says.   Right, so I down tools and head off back home.  Its now 12;30 and no sign of him.  What a pain in the ar*&.  Got a big job to complete today and here I am drinking tea and eating biscuits whilst the wife is still on site working away.  I think I might have a little lie down.  after another game of solitare. ;D

TVCS

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2008, 07:28:09 am »
It arrived at about 1 pm and it all looks pretty bl*&*y good.  Not had time to fire it all up yet but from outward apperances it all looks ok.  They even sent a packet of spare bits and bobs too.   
Not too bad really , paid for it on Tuesday afternoon and it arrives the following monday. 
To get UPS to deliver was another £53.   Duty was £16., vat £191, airline handling was £33, fuel surcharge £8, brokerage £55. 

TVCS

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 03:20:36 pm »
On their website look at the BE Direct drive 13hp Honda GX390 pressure washer.
On the 3rd page I think.  It lists what you get.  plus the turbo nozzle.

dandandan

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:31 pm »
That doorstep delivery is  well worth the outlay though,good luck.Dan

drive surgeon

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2008, 08:15:04 am »
did they bring it right to your doorstep, mine had to be picked up at the parcel forse depot. ???

drive surgeon

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2008, 08:48:49 am »
i was thinking of moving abroad and starting it off, cleaning swimming pool areas and hotels etc, in america its a big game there.  pressure washing is booming!! 8)

drive surgeon

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2008, 08:52:25 am »
clint im sitting tight at mo, as the credit crunch and looming recession could bite hard, im already going slacker now, and when the kids are off all the parents money and time is gone,  its not a good time to be splashing the cash on thousands of pounds of equipment, we could go into a economic crisis and no one wants to spend any money????? ???   might sit and wait to see how it goes im just scared of not getting the work to warrant £250 a month extra,  my kango is paid for now you see.

TVCS

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2008, 01:49:39 pm »
Yep, delivered to my doorstep.  Well worth the extra few bob.  IMO

drive surgeon

« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2008, 02:58:07 pm »
 :-\ :-\ ???  do i or dont i get the new kit and big van ??

drive surgeon

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2008, 04:01:12 pm »
well last year  i went to india and then dubai,  ;D  then came back and started work again in february. 8)  but usually im scraping round looking for scraps to feed off with the pressure washing.  dont do anything else.   my mate got work down the docks blasting the sides of boats, he just turns up dipps his hose in the dock and works their when he wants,

drive surgeon

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2008, 06:03:18 pm »
lets get together on here and work out ideas for winter pressure washing.

gordoningram

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2008, 11:12:03 am »
have u tried www.notherntooluk.com there prices are not bad and deliver next day and have loads of spares at hand

gordon

TVCS

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2008, 05:59:40 pm »
fired up the new beastie today.  got to say, pretty impressed.  not sure how I have managed this long without a turbo nozzle ;D ;D ;D  what a treat that is.   
got to fettle with it I think as it wasnt pulling from my water bosh very well, but I did set it up in a hurry though. 

over all very pleased with it, might clean my dads drive tomorrow as a bit of a test run before I attack some custies .

TVCS

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2008, 09:04:10 am »
didnt bother withthe wheely bin stuff, always just used a water bosh and always worked ok.  And only one turbo nozzle.  I will just have to be carefull and not fire it off the end of the lance  ;D ;D

I will order a few more bits when i have worked off the value of this machine.  I have a few big jobs lined up so hopefully wont have to wait too long.

TVCS

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2008, 03:44:58 pm »
I do gutter cleaning with wfp at the moment so dont use ladders unless i have to,  but hate doing it.  I am thinking of not offering it because for some reason I always hate the job.  I charge ok so my hourly rate is good but its one of those jobs I just dislike.  But, no I havent seen the set up you have mentioned.  where is this, do you have a link?

Been playing with my p/w set up today but not happy with the way it feeds from a barrel.  It seems to be not getting enough water thro.  You know the slight rattle sound it makes when the water supply is limited or when the hose kinks.  It seams to be making that noise.  Been using the same feed pipe as before and no kinks and all the filters are clear.  Might have to get a fatter hose maybe.  (then again this hose is pretty big) 
Any thoughts guys?

TVCS

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2008, 05:16:39 pm »
did first job with new machine today, 

Allocated all afternoon as it was a load of rough slabs around a mill.  Really dirty, weedy and coated in lichen.   
2 hours later I was back home with a cold beer.  Tops. 
HAd to run the machine from the tap as it isnt pulling water as well as I'd like but thatwasnt a prob really.  The turbo nozzle was great.  Looking back I cant beleive I didnt get one years ago. 
over all, a happy chappy. 

drive surgeon

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2008, 05:35:41 pm »
did the tap give enuf pressure to feed the machine???? ???  weird.

TVCS

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2008, 07:58:11 pm »
This tap was like niagra falls.  Took the water bosh etc but when I tried this tap I was almost washed away. 

I got the job through a mate of mine who is a plumber.  He told me the water pressure at the property was bonkers but I didnt beleive him until today.  If only all houses had it.

TVCS

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2008, 10:05:43 pm »
had a quick look at the gutter vac.  looks good but a good price too.  Then again it would only take a handfull of jobs to pay for itself.  definately a commercial tool i think compared to domestic. 

drive surgeon

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2008, 08:41:19 pm »
think the fox does it from wot i can remember! ;)

drive surgeon

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2008, 10:39:55 am »
he is very good clint!

dandandan

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2008, 10:32:31 pm »
When your pallet arrives at airport the shipping company will bell you and tell you a delivery date/time,they also tell you to have a cheque ready for the driver for import duty and  if your having it the extra delivery charge to your door,you`ve paid merrill everything else including the delivery to the airport.Put your order in,save your money ,takes no longer than a week,no on is more helpful than Hal at merrill fox.Dan

drive surgeon

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2008, 09:59:44 pm »
i will be buying from usa!  well better than the uk!

TVCS

« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2008, 09:37:27 am »
I will be using them again, no doubt.

I needed a few bits and bobs, connectors etc and Hal got them to me within 3 days. 
Overall I have been very impressed with the service. 

All I need now is a shed load of new work to go with it.  At the moment I only have 4 more drives to clean and a couple of small patios.   But I am in mid negotiations with a football club for a complete stadium clean.  Fingers crossed.

TVCS

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2008, 10:59:59 am »
i recon about 3 -4 days.   I have had a talk with the grounds man about doing a deal over the price and we get a couple of big advertising boards put up around the place

TVCS

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2008, 07:31:11 pm »
The ad boards are about £200 each per year.  We should get 2 for free for the first year then at discount each year afterwards.   
Providing the directors are happy with my clean price.  lol