TVCS

anyone bought a pressure washer from the usa?
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:57:47 pm »
Hi guys.

Our trusty pressure washer died last week ( thankfully it was at the end of a big job)  and I am now thinking of buying new and fixing up the old one as a spare.
Been looking at a few suppliers and the USA suppliers are really well priced.  just wondering if anyone has bought from Merril or simular and what sort of delivery times can be expected.  Do you end up paying the same as a UK supplier by the time you add the shipping cost on? .

I hope this makes sense.  Any input greatfully received as I have jobs lined up and need to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Thanks folks
Ant
TVCS
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

BDCS

Re: anyone bought a pressure washer from the usa?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:32:33 pm »
You need to consider that you will have to pay import duty and vat when it gets to the Uk, Us kit is usually plumbed up with NPT not BSP as we have in the UK and Europe. I'm all for saving money and theres many on here that have imported from berril but its worth having a good look here from the likes of tech clean or Pete Stevens at valetech or high pressure designs. Make sure that the engine is actually the likes of Honda and not a chinese clone that you can't even buy a recoil spring for! I have an American kohler on my jetter which is top kit but it takes a week to get spares and longer if customs decide so  :'( . It may be cheaper to import but weigh the pro's and cons before.

drive surgeon

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:42:21 am »
superb merril fox!  full set up, half the price! ;D

TVCS

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:57:21 am »
Thanks guys for the input.

Good points BDCS I'll bear them i mind. 
Working to a pretty tight budget at the moment ( the wifes credit card,tee hee)  after stripping down our old pressure washer I think it is a clone , D'oh.

I will look around a bit more but at the moment I think The new one will be born in the USA.

Thanks
ANt TVCS

BDCS

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:03:43 am »
Most of the kit that comes out of the States won't be made there, its only the likes of briggs and kohler etc. Hondas are even starting to manufacture in china because its cheaper, interpump are Italian origin so you never really know what your getting. Its the high taxes we get here and the strong pound that makes importing cheaper but thats the main thing - MONEY  !! I have an American soda blaster thats a HEAP -  6 weeks to get an US speck pneumatic valve  anybody want it Cheap

david_m

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:52:20 am »
Hi all

Importing from amercia is no big deal.
all the extra stuff works out at about an extra 25% of the machine and delivery so say your machine and delivery was £1000 then add 25% £250 and thats about what it will cost you.

With the fittings, you could  price it with out external fitting and  put them on your self over here.You should be able to buy a bigger power washer from the states for your budget than over here consider getting a heater as well
in with the deal but go with a bigger power washer first, gets through the work much faster and easier.
Bought one from merrill about 18 months ago 20hp with a heater paid
£4000 all in and lifted it at the airport.

The first thing i done was change all the external fitting on the power washer to bigger inlet and out let and put a back feed valve on and put a much bigger unloader on the machine as well ran much smother after that. Have had a few problems with the burner but managed to sort them out now. I think the main problem was i had it bolted down directly to the trailer without any rubber bushens in between so it tended to take all the bumps in the road.

Main question is would i do it again yes i would the only thing i would change is get a bigger machine and put the extra money towards it and buy it without any external fittings and put my own on to suite me

Davy

dandandan

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:20:40 am »
Yes i got the whole kit off Hal at merrill,it was delivered in 4/5 days,Hal answered every question i had very quick and sent me free spares,connectors,o-rings etc.I still buy off them and ask them for any advice,the only change i did do was to change all my connectors to ones, available here,Pirtec did it all for £40,but Merrill still sent me the spares,i have just had new spare tips and another rotary turbo nozzle delivered as you couldn`t do without one.If you e-mail merrill you get an answer even if your not buying,i asked at least 20 questions and got sound advice before i purchased.I did flap a bit when it was all delivered as i was totally green but i just kept e-mailing them(they vever cracked ha ha) and have been up and running for 3 months with no problems,get in touch with them and you will soon realize how helpful they are.I ordered that much gear that i got stung for import duty but i was still well in and saved about £500.Good luck dan.  p.s.if your budget is tight leave the fsc and get the turbo nozzle as they are brilliant.

TVCS

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:15:57 pm »
dan,
I have all the fsc and the like so its just the machine I was after.
What connectors will neeed to be changed?    I was going to order a new machine and a new engine for my old machine but I dont really want to get stung with the import duty so I might just get the new machine,   
I have emailed Hal and am still waiting for a reply. 
Thanks for all the advice so far
Ant
TVCS

dandandan

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:52:51 am »
You don`t have to change the connectors,i had a leak in one of mine and had no spares,they were going to take 4 days to get here and i had 3 jobs to do so i got pirtec to change the quick change connectors on my hose ,lances and fsc to one i could buy in the uk,it was only buttons,the original brass one arrived from te usa but Hal sent them free anyway,when you order your gear tell hal to send you some spare connectors and o-rings.I use the closed end connectors now,they have been great,don`t drip etc.if you just buy the machine you won`t get stung that heavy on the duty,you`ll still be well in,i had extending pole,lances,hoses, honda machine,fsc the full monty and only paid about £350 on the lot.good luck dan.what e-mail address did you use for hal?

niceandclean

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 05:11:13 pm »
I bought all my gear from Merrill last year, great advice and service. The whole set up was much cheaper than it was here. Defo recommend them!

dandandan

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:49 pm »
Import duty clint,i changed quick connectors on hoses,fsc and lances thats all mate.

TVCS

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 09:12:43 pm »
what e-mail address did you use for hal?

I have used the contact details on the web site.  He replied tothat and told me to use the email address he replied with for future emails but,  he isnt replying anymore.  So I tried again with the contact page of the website.   Annoying really as I want to get it ordered asap.

dandandan

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 08:33:08 am »
Thats right clint,i should of got spares sent with kit really,i`ve got both sets now anyway and merrill sent them free,i got spare tips for lances as well as 2 of them flew off never to be found cos i hadn`t pushed them on properly,ha ha,good job i wasn`t pointing lance at anyone.Merrill sent spare o-rings as well but i haven`t blew any yet,touch wood.dan

TVCS

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 02:49:11 pm »
still no response from Hal!!! :( :(

drive surgeon

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 05:53:08 pm »
keep in their ant, merril fox is a legend. ;)

dandandan

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 08:28:12 pm »
did you get a honda machine drive surgeon?dan

drive surgeon

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 09:41:36 pm »
whirlaway 20"  first class kit and service dandandan!

TVCS

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 12:13:20 pm »
Got a reply from merril this morning.  Ha ha, will be making my order next week with him.

Thanks for the input and info chaps.  I will be whirlybopping my way thro this back load of work before you know it.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 08:05:45 am »
Hi guys.

Our trusty pressure washer died last week ( thankfully it was at the end of a big job)  and I am now thinking of buying new and fixing up the old one as a spare.
Been looking at a few suppliers and the USA suppliers are really well priced.  just wondering if anyone has bought from Merril or simular and what sort of delivery times can be expected.  Do you end up paying the same as a UK supplier by the time you add the shipping cost on? .

I hope this makes sense.  Any input greatfully received as I have jobs lined up and need to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Thanks folks
Ant
TVCS

We imported a trailer mounted machine earlier this year, it can be straight forward as long as the American shipping agent gets their act together. Even with customs, import duty and VAT plus the extra shipping costs it still worked out cheaper.

craig b

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 11:00:02 am »
if you dont mind me asking how much savings our we talking about is it a good few hundred..

going  to get myself a power washer... just trying to absorb some info on them