TVCS

Awning Glory
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:58:07 pm »
Hello one and all.

Been asked by a shop owner if I could provide him with a price to clean his awning.  It is pretty small probably no more than 3m x 1m.  It is as green as grass at the moment.  He said that the last time it was cleaned was about 5 years ago and a chap pressure washed it but there was some algae still visible when he had finished.

Anyone got any hot tips about what is the best method to clean these little beauties.  I've seen a few products at the local caravan shop but I thought i would ask the experts first.

Any info or replies will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Ant
TVCS
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

TVCS

Re: Awning Glory
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 07:52:56 am »
no one? 

Liahona

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:15:17 am »
Depending on the fabricc of the awning will stipulate how is best to clean it.  Under "normal" circumstances I would pressure wash it the same as the last cleaner did.  However you can not always clean off algae, in most cases it has to be killed off.  There is no reason unless damaged that awnings shuldnt clean up very well. 

With all the new awnings going up due to the no smoking ban there should be lots of them to do.

Best, Dave.

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:38:33 pm »
The best thing to do if you have access is to scrub them by hand using a suitable cleaning solution and either soft scouring pad or stiff brush. Traffic Film Remover is good or any general cleaner.
Then just hose off.
Pressure washing anykind of soft material doesn't always work as the fabric absorbs the force of the water negating the pressure.
And make sure you inspect it thoroughly before you start as these things do deteriorate over time. Check for any tears or weak spots and make the owner aware before you touch it or you could be buying a new one.

keith b

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 04:55:18 pm »
Ant,

Go to www.mendipcaravans.co.uk

It gives advice on how to clean awnings!

keith

TVCS

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 10:11:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies chaps.
John, looked at it today and notices quite abit of damage / weak spots.  It looks pretty old.  I made a point of making sure the owner was aware of them and he was ok for me to have a go anyway.  ( to be honest I wouldn't have minded if he had said leave it, I'll have to put a good price in instead now ;))
Keith thanks for the link, looks useful.
Thanks again
Ant
TVCS