Turriff cleaning

Thank you all
« on: May 30, 2006, 06:11:09 pm »

Hello all
I just want to say thank you to the many experienced folk on here.
I have been trying to find work for many months now but find it flippin' impossible to find anything that fit's in with schools hours and holidays. I  understand this from an employers point of view though.  A friend suggested I try the cleaning business at least I can work school hours and employ others to do the hours I can't. At this point I discovered this site..it's fantastic such a wealth of experience here, all the questions I had initially have been answered using the search facility. I used to work as a cleaner many moons ago back in Wales so am prepared physically as I know it's tough but I have no idea about the business side  this is where I find this site invaluable. I have put an ad in local paper due in this Thursday, written to a few companies and put notices in shops as well as free ad on yell. I hope my phone will start to ring soon, it's strange as I appear to be the only cleaning company in this town or even immediate area is this a good thing? I am in Turriff Aberdeenshire.
If any of you good people out there can see any immediate pitfalls please let me know. I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you
Norma

shelton

Re: Thank you all
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 06:35:59 pm »
It's my pleasure to be the first to wish you well in your new venture.  I was in exactly the same position in as much as trying to get something to fit in with schooltimes and family life.

Now, I'm more than happy with how things are going, have customers fitted in around the children and even don't begrudge doing a couple of hours in the evening, as I know all the money is coming my way!

One bit of advice is don't be put off by a select few of the "Cleanitup Gods".  They may have racked up hundreds and hundreds of posts, but more often than not talk a lot of nonsense. Ha ha ha.  Boy am I gonna get it for that . ...

;D

Turriff cleaning

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 06:43:23 pm »
Hi Shelton
many thanks for that, I have got an idea about charging thanks to this site but am still nervous :-\
The problem being I can't find anyone to compare charges with if you look on yell for cleaning co. in Turriff you'll jut see me....hopefully I won't be seen as too expensive, i have taken it all on board re not undervaluing my work I thought about £8-£8.50 per hour. What do you think?

kind regards
Norma 

shelton

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 06:56:03 pm »
I can imagine getting the pricing is difficult if there is no local competition to gauge yourself against.

I guess one way is to think what you would do if you wanted a cleaner yourself.  Where is the next nearest town/city?  Are there any cleaning company's there?

If so, give 'em a ring and do a bit of market research!

One thing I will say is that my chosen route is not to publicise my hourly rate unless specfically asked to.  I also make sure the customer is aware (and happy) that I am there to do the job, not to work to the clock.  Therefore, the quicker you get, the more your hourly rate increases.

That works for me (especially on some office and apartment cleans I've picked up).  As things are easier to keep to a standard, than raise to a standard (if you see what I mean), I've managed to up my hourly rate by about 25%, purely by getting slicker & better.  The quality is the same (and if we need to stay longer, we stay longer), but generally it works out great.

Turriff cleaning

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 07:02:12 pm »
Good info there Shelton will do it that way seems a tad more lucrative anyway.

thanks again
Norma

Tim Downer

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 10:01:59 pm »
Welcome to the site Norma and hope you find the site gives plenty of pointers and ideas  ;D

Shelton.........Whatever do you mean? Cleanitup Gods.... ;D   ;D  ;D ?? They're not that bad are they??

Kind Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

Fox

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 08:13:44 am »
Shelton.........Whatever do you mean? Cleanitup Gods.... Grin   Grin  Grin ?? They're not that bad are they??

Yep Tim - I'm afraid we are  ;) nothing useful to say at all! lol  ;D

Hi Norma

Good luck in your new venture.  It's great that you have used the search to answer some of your questions, it can get a bit much seeing the same posts over and over, but don't be afraid to ask about anything you can't find - whoops - nearly forgot, maybe you shouldn't you'll only get nonsense in response!  ;)

(don't worry you will soon get used to the warped sense of humour!)

Fox

Tim Downer

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 10:00:48 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  xx
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 06:01:40 am »
Shelton,

Sometimes you have to stir the pot to keep it interesting.

But you are right,

What we want to hear is how you get customers.

Working Methods,

Best product for cleaning xxxxx

How to save time and not cut corners.

Estimating

Where to get training etc

bevldavies

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 07:45:20 am »
Good luck!  I started a very similar way at the beginning of the year.  I now have some lovely customers and enough work to earn what I need without killing myself (as I was when I was working full time)

I charge £10 per hour but for new customers I will price by the job as I have found it takes less time to clean houses now than when I started.

Turriff cleaning

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 03:08:56 pm »
Thank you for making me feel welcome everyone. ;D