TVCS

Well here we go. The pressures building.
« on: January 06, 2006, 11:19:59 am »
Well its January at last.  Tvcs are finally kicking off, hopefully with a bang this time.fankly I am desperate to clean something again.
We started last autumn, but only got a few jobs under our belts before we had to cease fire for a month or so as our van DIED a death.  Lack of funds meant we had to try and get it going ourselves. We`re cleaners not mechanics unfortunately. >:(
We did not advertise before xmas as due to word of mouth we had a few jobs and when the van died we thought we`d leave it till we got going again.
So, as funds are non existant at the moment should we try a flyer campaign or go without food for a week or 2 and go for the local press.  After reading alot of posts on this forum people have been getting mixed results from flyer drops, but you got to be in it to win it, and 1 job is better than nowt. 
Been looking recently into the possibility of getting a water pump for removal of the build up that sometimes accurs on a job. As the few jobs we have done a couple of times there was poor drainage and you end up trying to displace it with sqweagies or brooms.   Will a wet dry vac be any good.  Any advice would be helpfull.
Are people in the pressure washing biz generally ticking over at this time of year or is it still all systems go.   ???
I know it will sound daft but we still havent decided on a proper price per square meter.  The few jobs we have done were all pretty much the same size, 5 x 8 ish meter concrete drives and we got 60 pounds per job.   They took no time at all to do but, I suppose I`m a little worried of over pricing and putting people off.

I have read that some people charge 2 pounds psm and others up to 4 pound psm.  I know that it is all relative to what area you are in but hints and tips would be helpfull.  What about small jobs, small drives or paths.  What is the best way to price those up. per sqare meter would not be too profitable for this size job surely.
 ???
Well I have a meeting with the bank manager next week so I`d better get cracking. 
I hope everyone is well and that we all have a busy and profitable 2006.
Thank you in advance if anyone does reply to this post.
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

Paul Forster

Re: Well here we go. The pressures building.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 11:16:00 pm »
Hi I set up early last year,

Pressure washing is simply a profitable add for me on so from november till feb I try and avoid washing scheduling jobs in for March time the tought of water frezing etc and not being able to ree sand on the day being isues.

I always look at the area to be cleaned and work with the fall of the ground so the dirty water runs away. If water is pudiling then a quick brush sorts it or ocashionly I mearly blast it away using the water pressure as a broom.. if you get my drift!

All jobs are priced by the hour with aim of atleast £250 ( clear profit) per day (petrol and sand etc extra) small jobs at £100 (if local) washing only but including fuel up to 2 hours in total (including set up and take down)

I doubt many adds will come from the paper, I find directly leafleting smart propertys or those with large areas of block paving works well.

Good luck Paul

preston powerblast

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 01:09:37 am »
Pressure washing can be a good business but you must be prepared to put the hours in and get out there and find the work.
I have spent months publicising my business and it has up to now paid off.
But as Paul has said target areas, especially the wealthier areas because once you get one job it creates a bit of a knock on effect and you usually get more jobs.
But leafletting has proven the best method for me.
Also knocking on houses with my portfolio in my hand and tell them that you are doing a special promotion in the area, has worked for me.
Another thing I have found to work is a business card, push the boat out and get a nice card made. Give these to almost everyone you talk to about work.
Always try to be professional, keep high standards.
I think luck also plays a part in it.
                Best of luck
                                Gary

TVCS

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 05:37:12 pm »
Paul, Gary.
Cheers for the advice chaps.  The business cards have been ordered and have revised our portfolio. 
I still do shift work at the moment so the jobs will be worked around those and over the weekends, I`m not affraid of a bit of hard work, plus it keeps me out of the house :).
So you dont rate much on the old wet / dry vacs etc. 
Have decided to put a small ad in the local rag.  Have printed about 12 billion flyers to push through doors or placed in hands, plus where I work at the mo they do sponsored car washes now and again and I said that I`ll supply the pressure washer and a few other bits and bobs.  So a bit of free advertising hopefully and a good chance to shift more flyers and stuff.
Thanks again for the advice, still pondering over the charging bit of things but I`m sure something will come up.  Just abit worried about over-charging what with us being a new biz and all.
Bye Bye everbody.

TVCS

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 06:35:52 pm »
Just a quick thought.  A fter our drain blocked a week or so ago I gave it a good old blast with the pressure washer.  Job sorted.  I tried to charge the wife 50 quid call out charge but no joy there!
Anyway back to the point.  I thought about drain flushing or unblocking but you can only get so far with a lance, some sort of flexi jetting hose would be good.  Anyone with any advice or tips on this subject would be greatly received.

TVCS

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 06:37:38 pm »
MANY APOLOGIES FOR THE LARGE PICTURE OF MY DOG ON THE LAST POST.  IT WAS MEANT TO BE A PICTURE OF OUR VAN.
SORRY.

preston powerblast

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 06:43:15 pm »
You can buy a proper 10m drain jetting hose that fits onto the Karcher lance. This is all i use.

TVCS

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 06:55:01 pm »
Thanks preston.  Sorry to sound like a plonka, but where would you recommend as a good well priced place to buy items in this field.  Being pretty new to this I am still finding my feet, as in shops, web-sites etc, for equipment in the pressure washing biz.
cheers Ant

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 08:06:49 pm »
MANY APOLOGIES FOR THE LARGE PICTURE OF MY DOG ON THE LAST POST.  IT WAS MEANT TO BE A PICTURE OF OUR VAN.
SORRY.
not a problem ;D, I like dogs ;D

Paul Forster

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 09:36:32 pm »
Hi if you go for drains get a decent set of lockfast drain rods. Universals are likely to unscrew leaving you in the brown stuff.

The few jobs I have done have all taken lless than an hour and been sorted with the rods. I got my drain jetting hose from www.lanypressurewashers.com. I will eventualy get this mounted on its own reel and also the normal pressure hose.  Round me the prices are fixed charge depending on distance and response time eg straight away or next day. Cheapest about £60

Paul

preston powerblast

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 12:22:54 am »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Karcher-Kew-Alto-7-5-mtr-drain-cleaning-kit-hose_W0QQitemZ7733026966QQcategoryZ3186QQcmdZViewItem

Check out this guy who has an ebay shop, he will make one up for you if you tell him what lance fitting you need etc and he is very reasonable and will talk to you on the phone.

Ged

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 06:58:08 am »
hi there
on the subject of wet/dryvac. i got mine from tech-clean, it has 3x 1000 watt motors and 100 litre capacity. mounted on a tipping cart. it has been invaluable for clearing up standing water and dirt etc. cost around 300squid if i remember correctly.

although it has been invaluable and the motors are robust the disadvantage of this model is poor build quality of the cart and accessories and i would now go for one that  can also pump out the water that it has sucked up.

Ged

CMS

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 10:08:33 pm »
SORRY.
not a problem ;D, I like dogs ;D

Let's start a new gallery. Here's ours  :D

M Walker

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 10:35:14 pm »
Good Idea here is mine plus my daughter

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 10:37:04 pm »
Here is our Jerry :), the date on the photo is wrong, it was taken one year ago.

preston powerblast

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 10:42:09 pm »

best alarm in the world my best mates.

TVCS

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 05:07:52 pm »
Well. Thanks to one and all for all the responses and superb advice and tips.  What a top forum this is.
Glad to see so many dog lovers here too.
Many thanks everyone.
Ant TVCS

TVCS

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 05:20:11 pm »
I recon it is only fair that Jumbo Joe gets a picture too.  I promise there will be no more dogs from me just cleaning related posts.  sorry

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 05:36:29 pm »
I recon it is only fair that Jumbo Joe gets a picture too. I promise there will be no more dogs from me just cleaning related posts. sorry
Don't be sorry, your dogs are LOVELY :)

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 05:39:58 pm »
I recon it is only fair that Jumbo Joe gets a picture too. I promise there will be no more dogs from me just cleaning related posts. sorry
Don't be sorry, your dogs are LOVELY :)

To all who placed dog's photos i would like to say that all of them are beautiful, I realy love dogs.
Any more dog lovers? :)