TVCS

whirlaway problem. Any ideas?
« on: May 04, 2011, 10:56:28 am »
Hi folks, I know there is already a topic about a poorly Whirlaway but mine seems slightly different.  Hopefully someone may be able to help as it is needed for tomorrow.  Anyway.  Fired it up today and water is squirting out of the hole on the cylinder and only a little is coming out of the nozzles.  I have checked the nozzles and they are clear of any debris.

Any ideas guys and gals?

Sorry about the picture quality but you can see the hole that I am on about.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

Cliff Horne

Re: whirlaway problem. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:21:42 am »
Shouldnt there be a grease nipple in that hole?

Smart like a donkey, hung like Einstein

TVCS

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:56:17 am »
Hi Cliff,

The grease nipple is on the top of the cylinder / drum.  This photo is of the underside.  I have stripped it down now and found a picture on line of a cross section of it and I think a spring has broken and a couple of o rings have perished.
Sods law really as I was due to sell it today. never mind eh. 

Stuart at dual pumps is a helpful chap it has to be said. 

Cliff Horne

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:24:01 pm »
Ahh silly me
Smart like a donkey, hung like Einstein

trevor perry

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 03:10:08 pm »
it will just be a little o ring that wants replacing takes about 10 minutes to do  ;D
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

drive surgeon

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:48:14 pm »
yes tvcs its the viton o ring in the bearing head. it takes a bit longer than 10 mins if you have never done it before. my last bearing head  for some reason kept destroying the o ring so had to change it loads of times. its a pain!    you need to get the the large circlip of the bottom of the bottom of the bearing drum using circlip pliers, then pull the bearing out. you need to get the part out that holds the o ring (which can be tricky) DUAL PUMPS SELL THE VITON O RINGS.  LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANMORE HELP.

drive surgeon

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:02:20 pm »

TVCS

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 09:03:41 am »
Thanks Drive Surgeon.

The Whole bearing assembly and the mechanical seal look to be really worn so I think I am going to get a whole new assembly.  It is a tad annoying that it happened a day before it was being bought but never mind eh?  Dual pumps do a complete kit for just shy of 200 quid. 

Stuart from Dual pumps was really helpful and helped me to diagnose the problems.

Cheers for the advice and help.

drive surgeon

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 02:08:04 pm »
get him to send you some spare viton o rings incase it happens on a job, i was screwed on one job without spares, unless you carry a spare whirlaway. using a turbo on 500 square metres of block paving would have killed me that day!

its worth while when you get your new bearing drum to teach yourself how to change the o ring on your old bearing head.  good luck!

drive surgeon

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 02:09:47 pm »
the whole unit is not cheap. i got mine from dual pumps aswell.