james peters

Re: Finding more and more messers🙄
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2023, 06:42:13 pm »
sometimes it can be a good thing ..... I had one this evening .... £ 40 on a 8 weekly.   its a liitle out of the way on a rural run.
second time they have skipped . so I have dumped and blocked , but unlike most , this time I am feeling glad, and relieved I dont have to do it anymore.

I wont lose out as 2 have just text me back asking if I have time for small add ons tomorrow.
I have also just picked up a front only which is a nice minimum charge , and a just do it with no need to text.
sometimes its the right thing .

aaron musson

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2023, 09:31:20 pm »
about five yrs back i happened to notice a plumbers merchant was closed for an Annual stock take. i liked the idea of that,sorting out the  slow moving stuff. Ever since  around July time every yr i  sift thru the round and  get rid of a bunch of stuff i dont like, whether its a house with 2 awkward windows or  someone who  sometimes says a sarcey comment.  These are not out and out messers  but getting rid of  20 customers lets room for fresh stock as it were. 

Johnny B

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2023, 01:19:26 pm »
Here's what I do:

When I pick up a new potential customer, I always assume they want a one-off, and just do the clean for the price I ask. No fuss, no stress. If they subsequently ask for a frequency, I tell them mine and most ask for me to clean them when I'm around again. The ones that don't usually call me when they need me and I arrange to call to them when I'm available. I do. If I don't hear from them again, that's ok. No fuss, no stress.

This way, I don't get messers, and everyone is happy because they get clean windows and I get their money. Did I mention no fuss, no stress?

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2023, 02:02:28 pm »
Here's what I do:

When I pick up a new potential customer, I always assume they want a one-off, and just do the clean for the price I ask. No fuss, no stress. If they subsequently ask for a frequency, I tell them mine and most ask for me to clean them when I'm around again. The ones that don't usually call me when they need me and I arrange to call to them when I'm available. I do. If I don't hear from them again, that's ok. No fuss, no stress.

This way, I don't get messers, and everyone is happy because they get clean windows and I get their money. Did I mention no fuss, no stress?

John

So let's say it's a minger and you charge say £50 because you view it as a one off.  They don't want it done regularly at that price but would be okay at £25 ongoing 8 weekly.

And you don't mind doing occasional jobs led by their desire for a clean that you fit in with your regular work.

Am I understanding you correctly or is your one off price low enough so that the customer will often have you regularly?
It's a game of three halves!

Johnny B

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2023, 06:52:03 am »
I don't usually charge extra on a first clean. I price each according to how much I want for the job, irrespective of whether it is a one-off or becomes a regular. I never assume it will become the latter, but if turns into that, so much the better. More often than not, it does, but if not, then they will contact me and I fit them in when it suits me.

I work on the basis of trying to do such a thoroughly good job, that the customer will be so happy as to want their windows to be maintained in this condition. It works for me, because if they are happy, I am happy.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Smudger

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2023, 07:15:12 am »
It’s always about what makes you and the customer happy 👍

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2023, 08:57:12 am »
I don't usually charge extra on a first clean. I price each according to how much I want for the job, irrespective of whether it is a one-off or becomes a regular. I never assume it will become the latter, but if turns into that, so much the better. More often than not, it does, but if not, then they will contact me and I fit them in when it suits me.

I work on the basis of trying to do such a thoroughly good job, that the customer will be so happy as to want their windows to be maintained in this condition. It works for me, because if they are happy, I am happy.

John

Okay, not wishing to labour the point but I would like to benefit in hearing a bit more from your way of working; if you don't mind.

In very general terms, if I have an area of three bed semis, bay windows 1930's no extension or roof lights on a regular basis I charge about £20.

If it is the first time and not been done for a while I would add about £10/15 with an explanation of why and set out my stall that I am looking for a regular customer who will benefit from a lower price. (the said £20)

Would you charge approximately the regular price I do or would it be higher as you are not anticipating a regular customer?

Johnny B

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2023, 05:55:05 pm »
I work on the assumption that every first clean is a one off unless the customer asks how often I call. In the past I used to have a certain  frequency, to which some agreed to, until I called the next time, only to be told 'not today' more often than not. So I did away with selling the idea of frequency, and framed my business around the genuine regular customers. So, although I have a good number of regulars now, I still take on new work and fit them in when I am in the area doing my regulars. This has created a surplus of work, which works for me, because if I get a 'not today', which incidentally is now quite rare, there is always the next job on the list and I have no loss of income from getting the odd cancellation. And pricewise, I'm happy taking longer on a first clean without charging more because I am  deliberately investing time in the customer so they can see that I am there to give them my best attention, and giving them the chance to see that my service is so valuable to them that they wouldn't want to lose me.

I hope some of this makes sense Malc! I realise it may sound a bit 'off the wall', but it works for me!

John

AuRavelling79

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2023, 06:28:34 pm »
I work on the assumption that every first clean is a one off unless the customer asks how often I call. In the past I used to have a certain  frequency, to which some agreed to, until I called the next time, only to be told 'not today' more often than not. So I did away with selling the idea of frequency, and framed my business around the genuine regular customers. So, although I have a good number of regulars now, I still take on new work and fit them in when I am in the area doing my regulars. This has created a surplus of work, which works for me, because if I get a 'not today', which incidentally is now quite rare, there is always the next job on the list and I have no loss of income from getting the odd cancellation. And pricewise, I'm happy taking longer on a first clean without charging more because I am  deliberately investing time in the customer so they can see that I am there to give them my best attention, and giving them the chance to see that my service is so valuable to them that they wouldn't want to lose me.

I hope some of this makes sense Malc! I realise it may sound a bit 'off the wall', but it works for me!

John

If it works for you that's fine. Is a lack of regularity an Irish thing do you think? (No pun intended)

Splash & dash

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2023, 08:29:38 pm »

John

If you are doing a one off clean for a regular price you are the one that’s out of pocket if you are happy with that then fine but most charge considerably more for first clean or one off. We find most are quite happy to pay more for this , I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t charge more you are doing your regular customers a dis service but doing one offs for the same price you charge them they could start following suite .

Johnny B

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2023, 09:20:32 pm »

John

If it works for you that's fine. Is a lack of regularity an Irish thing do you think? (No pun intended)

When I first started up here, it was 2011 and in the middle of the economic crisis (end of the Celtic Tiger as it was dubbed here), so regular cleans were rarer, so I adapted to the situation and went from there. These days, more and more non-regular customers are asking for regular cleans, so persevering with one-offs and ad-hocs has been worthwhile.

John

Johnny B

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2023, 09:33:41 pm »

John

If you are doing a one off clean for a regular price you are the one that’s out of pocket if you are happy with that then fine but most charge considerably more for first clean or one off. We find most are quite happy to pay more for this , I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t charge more you are doing your regular customers a dis service but doing one offs for the same price you charge them they could start following suite .

I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense, but rather than charging more, I am investing time in building a relationship with the customer in terms of doing the best job for a reasonable price and not the quickest job for as much as I can get. I lose very, very few customers (usually to either moving or dying) so I'm not worried about losing any over a pricing issue. I know it sounds strange, but that's how I am wired, and having been in this game for 26 years, and the fact that I still love what I do, I don't think I'm going too far wrong, but I fully understand and respect that few will share my viewpoint.

John