andycap

Finding more and more messers🙄
« on: May 03, 2023, 07:15:58 pm »
Never seen it as bad in my time window cleaning...excuse after excuse,...you’ve heard em all I’m sure
Seem to be constantly refining things..I think money has become a bigger issue than ever..a fair few just wanting to miss this one and can I contact you when there dirty😂

SB Cleaning

Re: Finding more and more messers🙄
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 07:49:46 pm »
What cleaning frequency are you?

andycap

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 08:00:21 pm »
30% monthly,70% 2 monthly, but the majority are the  2 monthly..ones that dodge,always used to be good customers ,🤔

SB Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 08:06:32 pm »
Probably feeling the pinch yeah, my phones been dead  for new enquiries this year, usually turning them away this time of the year.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 08:26:25 pm »
I’m finding the exact opposite.

Loads of enquiries (6% increase in April), and more and more are opting for direct debit.

Added to that, price increases at 11% (rounded up to the nearest 50p) that are being accepted without any problem.

I’ve also stopped doing roof veluxes (the high up ones, I still do the low ones on extensions etc) because I got fed up lugging the long pole out. I expected some complaints but it’s been 3 months and nothing. Nobody’s even noticed it seems!

All in all, things have never been better.

james peters

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 07:51:44 am »
Not really noticed a difference.  I find its the ones that want a text the night before tend to be  the ones likely to skip.

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 09:03:45 am »
Never seen it as bad in my time window cleaning...excuse after excuse,...you’ve heard em all I’m sure
Seem to be constantly refining things..I think money has become a bigger issue than ever..a fair few just wanting to miss this one and can I contact you when there dirty😂

Not one customer has said this to me for years now....

I have lost 4 customers in the last year though because they couldn't afford me anymore but they have all been replaced

Add on job season has started now and I've  been cleaning a few of these for existing customers here and there
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 09:06:15 am »
Lost one customer out of 280 jobs(march/April price rises)too so happy days!🙂

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 04:08:40 pm »
In my experience only about 30% of new customers will go on to be great long term customers.

I've taken on maybe 150 new ones this year and im still dropping them and refining it.

That's the game it's always been the same for me and now is no different.

Just keep slinging mud at the wall and carry on .

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 06:22:13 pm »
In my experience only about 30% of new customers will go on to be great long term customers.

I've taken on maybe 150 new ones this year and im still dropping them and refining it.

I would say 95% of new customers go on to be long term jobs in my experience (but mine are all walk ups,word of mouth and recommendations)....

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 10:44:30 pm »

I would say 95% of new customers go on to be long term jobs in my experience (but mine are all walk ups,word of mouth and recommendations)....

Quite agree I don’t understand how ones get so many messers I think the key is setting your stall out at quoting stage and if they hesitate don’t take them on , we very rarely get a cancellation unless they move or die still got customers from when I started 25 years ago .

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 11:07:45 pm »
Totally agree with the previous 2 posts

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

aaron musson

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 02:50:18 am »
any new enquiry i always ask,are you just wanting a 1 off? wer quite happy to do it,same price too

if they take the bait and say yes,thats exactly what we want i say,ok  its my bro who is doing the 1 offs,will give him your number he will be in touch. thing is bro lives overseas and never gets in touch

aaron musson

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2023, 03:25:05 am »
280 jobs!! in a compact area  seems youre doing very littkle work then.  youv been going at it donkeys yrs ? can only think your winding it down 

KS Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2023, 07:52:10 am »
any new enquiry i always ask,are you just wanting a 1 off? wer quite happy to do it,same price too

if they take the bait and say yes,thats exactly what we want i say,ok  its my bro who is doing the 1 offs,will give him your number he will be in touch. thing is bro lives overseas and never gets in touch
Why would you do this? The customer is being honest in saying they only want a one off clean because you have offered this option and you’re happy to do it.  As for taking the bait? Really!

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2023, 07:55:56 am »
280 jobs!! in a compact area  seems youre doing very littkle work then.  youv been going at it donkeys yrs ? can only think your winding it down

Yep...20-25 hours a week,jobs vary....around 100 are larger properties (basically not 3 bed semis)...

I do have another 44 jobs just out of that 3 mile area but some of these are offices,children's homes and a few larger stand alones plus some flats...🙂

NWH

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2023, 07:57:43 am »
I know what he means though KS you get some people trying to reel you in by saying every month 6 weeks what’s suits you etc,I just say we only take on regular cleans as we are busy enough.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2023, 08:01:21 am »
I know what he means though KS you get some people trying to reel you in by saying every month 6 weeks what’s suits you etc,I just say we only take on regular cleans as we are busy enough.
I also do the same as you, I turn down one off cleans unless I’m next door, then I price accordingly. But I don’t understand why anyone would offer the option of a one off clean with absolutely no intention of carrying out the work. Soon get a bad reputation.

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2023, 08:13:13 am »

I have 324 jobs altogether which is more than enough for the hours I work.i just didn't put all their prices up.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2023, 08:25:22 am »
I also do the same as you, I turn down one off cleans unless I’m next door, then I price accordingly. But I don’t understand why anyone would offer the option of a one off clean with absolutely no intention of carrying out the work. Soon get a bad reputation.

Yeah you would do I agree I just try and not be so obvious when asking them the frequency.

G Griffin

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2023, 09:07:49 am »
I agree.
You sell your service to them. You don't sell them the service that you think they want.
Some want their windows cleaned because they are dirty and no one cleans them. But they need telling that they will get dirty again if no one continues to clean them 🙄.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

james peters

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2023, 04:03:32 pm »
I look out for red flags also.
normally if someone asks you to call, and then says  something like .....  " my l;ast window cleaner just stopped calling " or " I cant seem to find a reliable window cleaner" ....
this normally means that it is actually "them " that is unreliable ...

I just make sure they are charged a first clean price ... if they skip I may adjust them to 4 cleans a year at a first clean price
if they still cant grasp it, its bye bye and block

NWH

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2023, 06:14:45 pm »
This time of the year is a red flag lol how often do you hear window cleaners say this is the best time of the year to pick up work lol,of course it is the winter ones you take on are the serious ones.

james peters

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2023, 08:50:54 pm »
This time of the year is a red flag lol how often do you hear window cleaners say this is the best time of the year to pick up work lol,of course it is the winter ones you take on are the serious ones.
for anyone on this forum who is starting out , do not listen to this negative comment . there is some truth to it but its misleading .
70 % of new customers will convert to regular if you set your terms out from the start.
Always charge a higher price for the first clean , maybe  50% more , and you wont lose out
also , if you are starting out in the spring it is a great time for add ons such as gutter cleaning render cleaning , pressure washing ( if you offer these ) whilst you are starting ,these extras will help whilst you are building and refining your window cleaning round.
spring is a great time to build .
just saying  ;D

NWH

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2023, 08:59:41 pm »
I have been involved in window cleaning for 30 years and let me tell you and anyone starting out that customers  that come out this time of the year are  like daffodils 🌼,have you heard the saying spring clean that’s how people think and if they had their way they’d have the windows cleaned in spring and summer and maybe one at the end of September-October.
Not saying you won’t gain decent customers now but you’ll not know till they’ve been through a few winters with you if they are what you’d call a “good” customer.

aaron musson

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2023, 09:15:49 pm »
i USED to say its a tenner for every month or 20 as a one off.What used to happen was folk would say hmm,ok lets go for the monthly then,but  on the second clean cancel and yahey theyv had a cheapo one off . These days i filter them hav not done a one off for yrs. besides ,one offs are never worth it at ANY price , youll work slower for days afterwards if youv done a few on the trot. its a bit like scrubbing gutters , im ok to clean out the insides but wont do outsides no matter what price. 

SB Cleaning

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2023, 09:20:28 pm »
I have been involved in window cleaning for 30 years and let me tell you and anyone starting out that customers  that come out this time of the year are  like daffodils 🌼,have you heard the saying spring clean that’s how people think and if they had their way they’d have the windows cleaned in spring and summer and maybe one at the end of September-October.
Not saying you won’t gain decent customers now but you’ll not know till they’ve been through a few winters with you if they are what you’d call a “good” customer.
I have to agree.

james peters

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2023, 09:43:42 pm »
I agree. also been at it for 30 years. but negative thinking doesnt help new people starting up . its about percentages . anyone who is established knows this. you have to start somewhere , and the rule of thumb is to just keep on plugging away without let up when you start,.
negative thinking will not help anyone.  your posts are condasending and negative followed by lots of lols. its extremely annoying, and of no help to anyone .... lol lol lol

NWH

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2023, 11:25:01 pm »
You don’t have to read em Jim that’s up to you pal I would prefer to hear the truth not go through life and work believing complete utter and what’s rubbish,lots of new window cleaners about when do you hear that usually April-May you want to try and build a round start in March-April-May why coz the suns out and the majority of bad customers won’t want you through the winter.
You could always lie to some newbie tell them that they’ll pick up work in November like they will in May,I can tell a messer on the doorstep the phone or by reading their text message I’ve been doing this that long Jim lol.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2023, 01:34:41 am »
I’ve heard it all now.
Potential customer “ Hi I’m looking for a reliable window cleaner”……Nigel’s response …“ ha ha my love, did you not know I’ve been in this game for 30 years lol, I’ll say it again,  just in case you’re hard of  hearing, 30 years my love lol”. So I do know a messer when I see one lol. You see my love,  anyone who asks for a window cleaner at this time of the year is obviously just after one of those, errr what do you call em again, one of those spring clean thingymajigs lol. There is no way on earth you can be looking for a regular window cleaner all year round lol, you can’t pull the wool over my eyes love lol…..Oh by the way, did I ever mention that I drive an Audi TTS?   Well there you have it lol

NWH

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2023, 06:34:21 am »
Yeah well that’s just bitterness about the Custom comments I made and I don’t have a TTS I have a TTRS,how’s that internal door sticker on the back of you’re Custom KS or is it a sticker some say it leads into my world of Narnia with a lol.

james peters

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2023, 08:32:29 am »
You don’t have to read em Jim that’s up to you pal I would prefer to hear the truth not go through life and work believing complete utter and what’s rubbish,lots of new window cleaners about when do you hear that usually April-May you want to try and build a round start in March-April-May why coz the suns out and the majority of bad customers won’t want you through the winter.
You could always lie to some newbie tell them that they’ll pick up work in November like they will in May,I can tell a messer on the doorstep the phone or by reading their text message I’ve been doing this that long Jim lol.

I have an announcement.
don't listen to any other window cleaners, even if they are successful. they are wrong with their advice

go to Nigel. he may come across like hes been eating the funny mushrooms , and comes across as mad as a box of frogs. but he is the final word .he can read peoples minds and drives a posh car .
what he says is just genious lol lol lol m8 50 bags, and I know 10 0r 20  butchers , and 5 to 8 pilots m8 lol

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2023, 08:48:25 am »
Yeah well that’s just bitterness about the Custom comments I made and I don’t have a TTS I have a TTRS,how’s that internal door sticker on the back of you’re Custom KS or is it a sticker some say it leads into my world of Narnia with a lol.

Geeeeeez man, do you ever have a day off?
 ::)roll ::)roll
Truth be told, you're probably driving around in a Dacia Stepway, have few to zero friends and are a bachelor! I just really can't see how could possibly be any other way!!🤣🤣
Comfortably Numb!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2023, 08:55:03 am »
NWH will be driving his (insert black and white thinking better car than anyone else's) to naughty step land if he doesn't rein it in.
It's a game of three halves!

Slacky

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2023, 09:13:35 am »
It’s the coronation today Malc, so he needs to ‘reign’ it in.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2023, 09:27:54 am »
I’m sorry to disappoint you Nigel but your comments and opinion on the Custom holds no weight with me.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2023, 09:30:52 am »
NWH will be driving his (insert black and white thinking better car than anyone else's) to naughty step land if he doesn't rein it in.
I don’t think he has been any worse than a few others on this thread? Myself included.

Spruce

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2023, 10:49:15 am »

We have a few who are really finding it financially tough. They would now fit into the category of who we would have referred to as messers a few years ago.

Someone on here once suggested that window cleaning by appointment might be where we are heading. I laughed at the post, but I'm wondering if we are going to have to add this to our armoury at a higher one off price.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2023, 11:06:29 am »
I don’t think he has been any worse than a few others on this thread? Myself included.

👌 Correct as always m8.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2023, 05:23:48 pm »

👌 Correct as always m8.

Not just this thread though is it Nigel?

james peters

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2023, 06:42:13 pm »
sometimes it can be a good thing ..... I had one this evening .... £ 40 on a 8 weekly.   its a liitle out of the way on a rural run.
second time they have skipped . so I have dumped and blocked , but unlike most , this time I am feeling glad, and relieved I dont have to do it anymore.

I wont lose out as 2 have just text me back asking if I have time for small add ons tomorrow.
I have also just picked up a front only which is a nice minimum charge , and a just do it with no need to text.
sometimes its the right thing .

aaron musson

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2023, 09:31:20 pm »
about five yrs back i happened to notice a plumbers merchant was closed for an Annual stock take. i liked the idea of that,sorting out the  slow moving stuff. Ever since  around July time every yr i  sift thru the round and  get rid of a bunch of stuff i dont like, whether its a house with 2 awkward windows or  someone who  sometimes says a sarcey comment.  These are not out and out messers  but getting rid of  20 customers lets room for fresh stock as it were. 

Johnny B

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2023, 01:19:26 pm »
Here's what I do:

When I pick up a new potential customer, I always assume they want a one-off, and just do the clean for the price I ask. No fuss, no stress. If they subsequently ask for a frequency, I tell them mine and most ask for me to clean them when I'm around again. The ones that don't usually call me when they need me and I arrange to call to them when I'm available. I do. If I don't hear from them again, that's ok. No fuss, no stress.

This way, I don't get messers, and everyone is happy because they get clean windows and I get their money. Did I mention no fuss, no stress?

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2023, 02:02:28 pm »
Here's what I do:

When I pick up a new potential customer, I always assume they want a one-off, and just do the clean for the price I ask. No fuss, no stress. If they subsequently ask for a frequency, I tell them mine and most ask for me to clean them when I'm around again. The ones that don't usually call me when they need me and I arrange to call to them when I'm available. I do. If I don't hear from them again, that's ok. No fuss, no stress.

This way, I don't get messers, and everyone is happy because they get clean windows and I get their money. Did I mention no fuss, no stress?

John

So let's say it's a minger and you charge say £50 because you view it as a one off.  They don't want it done regularly at that price but would be okay at £25 ongoing 8 weekly.

And you don't mind doing occasional jobs led by their desire for a clean that you fit in with your regular work.

Am I understanding you correctly or is your one off price low enough so that the customer will often have you regularly?

Johnny B

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2023, 06:52:03 am »
I don't usually charge extra on a first clean. I price each according to how much I want for the job, irrespective of whether it is a one-off or becomes a regular. I never assume it will become the latter, but if turns into that, so much the better. More often than not, it does, but if not, then they will contact me and I fit them in when it suits me.

I work on the basis of trying to do such a thoroughly good job, that the customer will be so happy as to want their windows to be maintained in this condition. It works for me, because if they are happy, I am happy.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Smudger

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2023, 07:15:12 am »
It’s always about what makes you and the customer happy 👍

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2023, 08:57:12 am »
I don't usually charge extra on a first clean. I price each according to how much I want for the job, irrespective of whether it is a one-off or becomes a regular. I never assume it will become the latter, but if turns into that, so much the better. More often than not, it does, but if not, then they will contact me and I fit them in when it suits me.

I work on the basis of trying to do such a thoroughly good job, that the customer will be so happy as to want their windows to be maintained in this condition. It works for me, because if they are happy, I am happy.

John

Okay, not wishing to labour the point but I would like to benefit in hearing a bit more from your way of working; if you don't mind.

In very general terms, if I have an area of three bed semis, bay windows 1930's no extension or roof lights on a regular basis I charge about £20.

If it is the first time and not been done for a while I would add about £10/15 with an explanation of why and set out my stall that I am looking for a regular customer who will benefit from a lower price. (the said £20)

Would you charge approximately the regular price I do or would it be higher as you are not anticipating a regular customer?

Johnny B

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2023, 05:55:05 pm »
I work on the assumption that every first clean is a one off unless the customer asks how often I call. In the past I used to have a certain  frequency, to which some agreed to, until I called the next time, only to be told 'not today' more often than not. So I did away with selling the idea of frequency, and framed my business around the genuine regular customers. So, although I have a good number of regulars now, I still take on new work and fit them in when I am in the area doing my regulars. This has created a surplus of work, which works for me, because if I get a 'not today', which incidentally is now quite rare, there is always the next job on the list and I have no loss of income from getting the odd cancellation. And pricewise, I'm happy taking longer on a first clean without charging more because I am  deliberately investing time in the customer so they can see that I am there to give them my best attention, and giving them the chance to see that my service is so valuable to them that they wouldn't want to lose me.

I hope some of this makes sense Malc! I realise it may sound a bit 'off the wall', but it works for me!

John

AuRavelling79

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2023, 06:28:34 pm »
I work on the assumption that every first clean is a one off unless the customer asks how often I call. In the past I used to have a certain  frequency, to which some agreed to, until I called the next time, only to be told 'not today' more often than not. So I did away with selling the idea of frequency, and framed my business around the genuine regular customers. So, although I have a good number of regulars now, I still take on new work and fit them in when I am in the area doing my regulars. This has created a surplus of work, which works for me, because if I get a 'not today', which incidentally is now quite rare, there is always the next job on the list and I have no loss of income from getting the odd cancellation. And pricewise, I'm happy taking longer on a first clean without charging more because I am  deliberately investing time in the customer so they can see that I am there to give them my best attention, and giving them the chance to see that my service is so valuable to them that they wouldn't want to lose me.

I hope some of this makes sense Malc! I realise it may sound a bit 'off the wall', but it works for me!

John

If it works for you that's fine. Is a lack of regularity an Irish thing do you think? (No pun intended)

Splash & dash

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2023, 08:29:38 pm »

John

If you are doing a one off clean for a regular price you are the one that’s out of pocket if you are happy with that then fine but most charge considerably more for first clean or one off. We find most are quite happy to pay more for this , I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t charge more you are doing your regular customers a dis service but doing one offs for the same price you charge them they could start following suite .

Johnny B

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2023, 09:20:32 pm »

John

If it works for you that's fine. Is a lack of regularity an Irish thing do you think? (No pun intended)

When I first started up here, it was 2011 and in the middle of the economic crisis (end of the Celtic Tiger as it was dubbed here), so regular cleans were rarer, so I adapted to the situation and went from there. These days, more and more non-regular customers are asking for regular cleans, so persevering with one-offs and ad-hocs has been worthwhile.

John

Johnny B

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2023, 09:33:41 pm »

John

If you are doing a one off clean for a regular price you are the one that’s out of pocket if you are happy with that then fine but most charge considerably more for first clean or one off. We find most are quite happy to pay more for this , I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t charge more you are doing your regular customers a dis service but doing one offs for the same price you charge them they could start following suite .

I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense, but rather than charging more, I am investing time in building a relationship with the customer in terms of doing the best job for a reasonable price and not the quickest job for as much as I can get. I lose very, very few customers (usually to either moving or dying) so I'm not worried about losing any over a pricing issue. I know it sounds strange, but that's how I am wired, and having been in this game for 26 years, and the fact that I still love what I do, I don't think I'm going too far wrong, but I fully understand and respect that few will share my viewpoint.

John