williamx

Re: Window Cleaning Business Coach PART TWO
« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2009, 07:58:00 pm »
He read it on another forum site were I also posted it, he says he dosen't want to talk to me.

Maybe I was getting at the truth and he can't handle being found out.

I would be very very careful paying for something from someone who won't answer honest questions.

It makes you wonder what he has got to hide or is scared of.

« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2009, 08:17:39 pm »
I agree hydro and am pretty sure that coach will pay and come back.

It's interesting what you say though, if you remember Paul Newman in the hustler, just before the marks broke his fingers with a pool que he asked "Why, you let the other guy go?"
They said "You're better than he was."
Then they broke his fingers.

It's slightly ironic that you should be the one to miss him. Fade to sound of twilight zone music.

williamx

« Reply #362 on: January 11, 2009, 08:23:44 pm »
What truth is that? Pure Hydro

That all he has to say is freely available elsewhere, and also what he has said has some very fundamental flaws to them.

The main one is something called "over-sell" yes good marketing ideas are useful but over-selling can be countaproductive.

« Reply #363 on: January 11, 2009, 08:25:03 pm »
So can harping on about that fact, tediously boring springs to mind.

Its a shame because it was actually a very positive and constructive thread, until, well....never mind  :-\

williamx

« Reply #364 on: January 11, 2009, 08:25:58 pm »
I agree hydro and am pretty sure that coach will pay and come back.

It's interesting what you say though, if you remember Paul Newman in the hustler, just before the marks broke his fingers with a pool que he asked "Why, you let the other guy go?"
They said "You're better than he was."
Then they broke his fingers.

It's slightly ironic that you should be the one to miss him. Fade to sound of twilight zone music.

No he will not be back.

williamx

« Reply #365 on: January 11, 2009, 08:31:12 pm »
So can harping on about that fact, tediously boring springs to mind.

Yes it might be boring, but if you believe that others can be wrongly affected by some of his advice, then he should be given free reign, until the time comes when it goes pear shape and  someone says I knew that would happen, but I did not want to cause waves by pointing it out.

« Reply #366 on: January 11, 2009, 08:32:31 pm »
He isnt on here, why are you still twittering on about it, your like a dog with a bone.

« Reply #367 on: January 11, 2009, 08:34:14 pm »
Another irony is that you are getting yourself into ewans position of being seen as argumentative and dogmatic hydro.
look, you've made a lot of very sensible replies and have many good ideas, you also have a very succesfull business to back up what you say.

He doesn't have much choice about coming back, this is the biggest wc forum anywhere in the world. Do google eschew china for a few lousy human rights issues, you bet your life they don't.

The way to make money is to find a way of adding value to a product or a service and then tell people about it. Coach understands this, he even knows to build his part up a bit by getting you to paint yourself as the dog barking at the postman.

He'll be back. Terminator stylee

williamx

« Reply #368 on: January 11, 2009, 08:42:15 pm »
I hope I am not going down that route, but like everything I do, I do it to win, 2nd place never comes into it.

This also happens to be one on the "coach" teachings, never ever give up.

Maybe thats why we clash, but I do believe that debate is always good, even if it does get boring or argumentive at times.

Just imagine if he does come back, we still be debating it, this time next year.

williamx

« Reply #369 on: January 11, 2009, 08:49:00 pm »
It would also be a good idea if there was a section on "Marketing and Business" ideas that everyone could post on, but not for profit, or dominated by one person.

mark dew

« Reply #370 on: January 11, 2009, 09:25:34 pm »
Yes it might be boring, but if you believe that others can be wrongly affected by some of his advice, then he should be given free reign, until the time comes when it goes pear shape and  someone says I knew that would happen, but I did not want to cause waves by pointing it out.

I can't see how any of his advice could be construed as it might wrongly affect others. This is marketing we are talking about, not life threatening surgery.
If it does'nt work try another way. Simple.
What truth is that? Pure Hydro

That all he has to say is freely available elsewhere, and also what he has said has some very fundamental flaws to them.

Can anyone remember when they last had an original idea that no-one else has said before? Improve on something, yes. Original and unique, no.
The fact that anything said can be found free elsewhere is i think irrelevant. Just like our profession, we are doing something that people can do freely for themselves. The reason they don't is because they don't have the savvy to know where to start or they don't have the time.
Although i didn't agree that everything he stated would help me, he did provider nuggets here and there.
I think many of us were put of by his location and misunderstanding that he doesn't expect us to recreate the north american window cleaning market. But to apply what is said to our own circumstances.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #371 on: January 11, 2009, 10:57:34 pm »
I think Business Coach gave good advice. He wanted to sell what he had to offer and now he's gone because he overstepped the forum owner's boundaries; some of us liked his advice and what he talked about and that for me is all there is to it.

I don't think his advice was damaging at all.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2009, 12:55:41 pm »
It would also be a good idea if there was a section on "Marketing and Business" ideas that everyone could post on, but not for profit, or dominated by one person.

I very strongly agree with this and have mentioned it before. As you may know i am a bit of an anorak on this and read loads of business books, biographies, MBA types, and marketing.

When something is pretty much a fact like wealth creation can't be done by window cleaning, i explain why and let it go, you just can't convince some people that you don't make these things up. Or that it was fairly clear a few months ago that the crunch was coming .Again quite a few put it down as a media invention, and you just have to give in.

But i do find that having a difference of opinion on here where things are not so black and white, such as marketing, can help clarify my own thoughts.That is why i was such a big coach fan, because he re-ignited my interest. Some people just have a natural flair anyway, have hardly read a book on the subject, and find these topics a bit airy fairy and tedious.

Because we work alone mostly, this forum gives us the benefit of sharing our ideas and projects as managers and having them shot down or agreed with.I find this healthy even when i'm on the recieving end.

ftp

« Reply #373 on: January 12, 2009, 03:37:49 pm »
I was going to buy his book but then i would become a sheep - part of the Coaches flock. What a horrible thought.  ::)

« Reply #374 on: January 12, 2009, 04:52:58 pm »
I didn't mean to single you out ewan. Dogmatic means persistently and repeatedly putting your view across and being blind to other opinions.

When i'm unsure about something or don't want to think to deeply i follow the majority. I eat meat for instance, but know that it is probably moraly wrong.

A lot of fuss seems to have been made about buying coach's book, i never gave it a thought. All my enthusing for him is as a forum member. It's like going on a diet i suppose or joining weight watchers, it's helpfull if you get the enthusiasm of others to spur you on. I would never critisise anyone for signing up with mr motivater, but some would say he's dangerous and just eat less.

I had a look at his website and read a little parable about bait and switch. This is a device- and i'm sure i'll be corrected- that carpet guys use, carpets cleaned for as little as £40, and when they arrive they work it up to £200 because the customer has gone to the trouble of getting them out.

It works very well and as understand it underpins nearly all carpet cleaning marketing.

Anyway, the coach had called someone on craigs list and then enroute the seller had told him the item didn't have a couple of benefits that he'd implied. He went through with the transaction and felt duped. So the coach is agi'n it.

I worked with a guy who had a big sign jeans £4.99 people would come over "where are the £4.99 jeans?"
He'd point out the very small from in front of the £4.99, tell them that they'd all gone, and they would go away having bought a £9.99 pair and be perfectly happy.

« Reply #375 on: January 23, 2011, 10:31:36 pm »
Bump - for no good reason than to dust down some cobwebs.