Slacky

Re: Sorry To Bring This Up!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 09:31:06 pm »
From the Govt website.

Phil J

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 09:54:18 pm »
Hey Spruce,
If we are locked down come winter and you combine that with a prolonged spell of bad weather. It would be nice to have the money in the bank. If we're fine I'll invest the money in the business. We'll all have to pay for the governments borrowing via higher taxes/ national insurance. So I will take my chances, you never know.

Spruce

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2020, 05:38:44 am »
Hey Spruce,
If we are locked down come winter and you combine that with a prolonged spell of bad weather. It would be nice to have the money in the bank. If we're fine I'll invest the money in the business. We'll all have to pay for the governments borrowing via higher taxes/ national insurance. So I will take my chances, you never know.

This is up to each and everyone of us to make that call. As Darran says, nobody call tell you what to do or not to do regarding the 2nd grant.

Slacky's link on the post above is very pertinent.

From the Govt website.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2020, 06:20:50 am »
Hey Spruce,

As I said earlier, this is a call each one of us has to make themselves.

But I can't help thinking about my experience in a past life when I worked as National After Sales Service Manager for Bosch Power Tools in South Africa.
South Africans generally had the 'if its for free then its for me' attitude to life.

I was in Germany for 6 weeks back in 1988. The trade unions has just finished negotiating a new 36 hour week for the staff working on the factory floor. It was on the Friday afternoon my counterpart in Germany and I walked into the staff canteen at around 3pm which was the beginning of a coffee break time for the factory staff.

I asked them why they are still working as their 36 hours was up and they weren't getting paid overtime. The answer was that they weren't bothered about the new working hours as "the country couldn't afford it."  (The Germans were avid recyclers back in 1988 where paper, plastics and household rubbish were separated at source. When I asked why they did my counterpart in Germany stated that they wanted their children to inherit a clean country. By 1990 Bosch had put in place a power tool recycling system in Germany and in Switzerland.)

When I went back to Germany in 1990 for a service managers conference a large portion of the factory workers car park was empty. Bosch had moved most of the production lines to Poland, Hungary and Czechoslovakia and those workers at Leinfelden near Stuttgart were made redundant.  For me this was a lesson learnt in looking at the bigger picture.

Bosch in South Africa bought a whole consignment of power tools that were made in Mexico for the Christmas sales in December 1992. They were still manufacturing the old models of power tools in Mexico, much like the VW Beetle.

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2020, 07:40:22 am »
Unfortunately it's no longer in this countries genetics to have any moral integrity ( if it ever did ). The country is gonna go broke. Take the grant or don't, everybody is out for themselves and the crisis hasn't even begun yet.

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 07:48:15 am »
If it's on offer you'd be silly not to take it. Who knows what's around the corner, we could all be back in lockdown come winter.

It doesn't matter if we go back into lockdown again......we can still  work as usual....👍
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2020, 07:57:06 am »
Hey Spruce,

How often do we have a spell of prolonged bad weather where we cant work whatsoever?

Last time it was 10 years ago in jan 2010....I didnt work for 3 weeks due to heavy snow......that's it.....😁👍
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 08:14:06 am »
Unfortunately it's no longer in this countries genetics to have any moral integrity ( if it ever did ). The country is gonna go broke. Take the grant or don't, everybody is out for themselves and the crisis hasn't even begun yet.

But it still exists in some other parts of the world.

If there is a shortage of an item, bread for example, people here will grab as many loaves as they can without giving a second thought for those behind them who will get nothing. We have seen this with the outbreak of Covid19.
The Japanese however will only buy what they actually need for that day and leave the rest for those following behind. Why is their culture and moral integrity and fortitude different to ours?

Shrek

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2020, 08:14:51 am »
Hey Spruce,

So in other words, your not adversely effected now but just in case something happens in the future, your claiming the grant? So your not eligible then are you, the grant isn’t  for just in case we have a bad winter and in lockdown. The grant isn’t for you may lose customers after the furlough ends in October, the grant isn’t for just in case you lose customers at Christmas time. the majority of shiners on here carried on regardless of the lockdown

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2020, 08:20:37 am »

But it still exists in some other parts of the world.

If there is a shortage of an item, bread for example, people here will grab as many loaves as they can without giving a second thought for those behind them who will get nothing. We have seen this with the outbreak of Covid19.
The Japanese however will only buy what they actually need for that day and leave the rest for those following behind. Why is their culture and moral integrity and fortitude different to ours?
Well put ! , thanks for illustrating my point perfectly.

G Griffin

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2020, 08:49:49 am »
Who is calming the next grant in August?

I have just lost two more jobs today from Covid, but can still get by, will lose some more I am sure of it.

what would you do?

Gazza
I don't think that qualifies you.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

G Griffin

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2020, 09:08:33 am »
Who is calming the next grant in August?

I have just lost two more jobs today from Covid, but can still get by, will lose some more I am sure of it.

what would you do?

Gazza

Hi Gazza

The question asked for the claim is: 'Have you been adversely affected" Yes or No? It's a simple question, there is no question of degree, if you lost £10 or £10 million regardless of new business gained within the period the answer would still be yes.

Furlough and SESS is simply bottom up Quantative Easing the same action as taken in 2008 but finance from the ground up rather than top (think Banks) down.

HTH

John
There is a question of degree as to how you have been affected. It's "adversely". Most people will of been affected.

^^^^^

In the words of Martin Lewis; "You are asked to make a statement confirming you have been adversely affected. If you can put your hand on your heart and tick the box that you have been self isolating, ill or caring for someone and you couldn't work then claim it."

He says there are 800,000 self employed who were legible to claim but who  didn't claim.  I can't believe all these didn't know about the scheme. I wonder if some have been working cash in hand and decided that claiming would leave them open to investigation.

If your turnover this year went up by the same amount you got from the compensation scheme then the Receiver could justify an investigation. I'm not saying it would, but there is a possibility.

My turnover for the original lock-down dropped because I was self isolating and didn't work. So I was justified in making a claim. Since the return to work my monthly turnover is slightly better than last year as I'm trying to get through my residential customers. We have lost all but 2 of our commercial work, but financially, we haven't been adversely affected since we started back.
My son is still at home looking after the grandchildren. He hasn't worked except on Saturdays. I've also been trying to clean his customer's as well, so his turnover is similar to what his was last year these last 2 months of May and June. Yes, he has been adversely affected as he hasn't been able to work weekdays, but financially he hasn't been adversely affected.
They will use 16, 17 and 18's figures.
If anyone is getting cash in hand it'll only mean they can claim less.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

G Griffin

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2020, 09:16:25 am »
And don't forget that they moved the date from which you should have been affected.
I think this one will be harder to claim and you might need to provide evidence. Unless you've been ill, looking after someone or had stop work to some extent, I'd do some research into it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Rob.Hall

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2020, 09:23:07 am »
I claimed last grant due to my wife being of work, (may have been covid).
I  lost jobs..
I had work on hold.

Am I adversly effected this time...No.
Still have work on hold and have lost work but gained some at the same time.

My income is up so there is your answer.

The grant is not ment for what is down the road. It is for the months of May, June, July.

G Griffin

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2020, 09:28:41 am »
I claimed last grant due to my wife being of work, (may have been covid).
I  lost jobs..
I had work on hold.

Am I adversly effected this time...No.
Still have work on hold and have lost work but gained some at the same time.

My income is up so there is your answer.

The grant is not ment for what is down the road. It is for the months of May, June, July.
No, it was for June, July and August.
But you can forget it if you were only adversely affected in June.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Rob.Hall

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2020, 10:19:50 am »
June july august...
Oh yeh.. 😁

NBwcs

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2020, 10:28:46 am »
My interpretation of the current situation is that October is going to be squeaky bum time for our trade, and I'll have a better idea of what to do then. Much of the government support ends in octber, the nation may pretty well be standing on its own feet without much help and the true  situation will be much clearer. Its also traditionally a time when new work isn't abundant, Christmas round the corner, clocks going back, winter on its way etc. I've already noticed a change with new enquiries slowing and  cancellations due to redundancy starting to creep in. Make hay now, because October's not far away. I'm hoping I'll be
 pleasantly surprised by then but I'm not holding my breath.

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2020, 11:12:58 am »
Agree, that's what I was meaning by my previous comment, the crisis hasn't begun yet, we've just been treading water.

NWH

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2020, 12:22:46 pm »
3-5 million unemployed this time in 6 months lol I think most will be effected tbh.

G Griffin

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2020, 12:34:16 pm »
3-5 million unemployed this time in 6 months lol I think most will be effected tbh.
That's not June (?), July and August though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐