Missing Link

Re: 10 weeks no reeling in!
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 08:48:59 pm »
In a few years as you get older your body is bound to have wear and tear from repetitive movements like we do day in and day out.

Just to add, you may find not moving your body is bad for your joints.  I agree there's a 'happy medium'; i.e. the extremes probably won't be good, but I know there's lots of evidence that show that running (for example), done progressively, is actually good for your joints and encourages cartilage growth.

Joints are, in fact, strengthened and modified by exercise. These adaptations explain the utility of physical activity in the treatment of arthritis, and the ability of joints to endure years of running without permanent damage. Ligaments and muscles, which support joints, are strengthened and reinforced by the stresses of athletic activity, improving joint mechanics. The flexibility of muscles, encouraged by exercise, can also aid the mechanical function of joints.

https://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/osteoarthritis-in-runners

And you don't get more repetitive than running.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

paul alan

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 09:01:49 pm »

Prevention is better than cure mate.

In a few years as you get older your body is bound to have wear and tear from repetitive movements like we do day in and day out.

Make life easy for yourself.

I think all those things that make life too easy, weaken our bodies and make us soft.  Stuff like lumbar support back rests, weaken the back, or arch support running shoes, weaken the feet.

Human bodies are designed to move.

Yes, human bodies need to be worked.

If outside of work you don't do much else then I would say that reeling in may be of benefit. But the issue I had with reeling in was we have 2 reels in the van side by side, so all my reeling in was done with the same arm. My left, which is the same arm that extends out to hold the pole up.

Last year with all the long days, weekends and first cleans my left arm took a serious beating along with my neck. Its safe to say I now know where my limits are because I bumped into them a few times last year and it was something I don't want to do too often. I knew this year something had to change so I decided to make things as easy as possible at work.

I am in no way lazy or soft, I get plenty of exercise outside of work, strength training and kickboxing.

My point is that you only get some much energy in one day, I would just prefer to save a little for other activities. Even if its just being able to say "ok" when boy says come on dad lets play.

nathankaye

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 09:22:57 pm »
Since when does it become a discussion of how fit a person is for them to have or not have an electric reel.
Why dont you stop bickering and some of you do away with a 5grand hot water system and the wfp pole and go old school if you have tonnes of energy and want to keep fit compared to the easy life of wfp.
 ;D ;D ;D

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Missing Link

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 09:24:29 pm »
Since when does it become a discussion of how fit a person is for them to have or not have an electric reel.

When someone says:

your body is bound to have wear and tear from repetitive movements
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

NWH

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 09:52:58 pm »
Lol is it an achievement to have lower back pain and a dislocated shoulder,you’ve spent all that money on that setup Daz do yourself a favour and get the HD m8 you’ll thank us all.

dazmond

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2018, 11:18:10 pm »
Lol is it an achievement to have lower back pain and a dislocated shoulder,you’ve spent all that money on that setup Daz do yourself a favour and get the HD m8 you’ll thank us all.

i havent got lower back pain and a dislocated shoulder mate....if i did i would probably get an electric reel! ;) ;D
price higher/work harder!

Jonny 87

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 07:31:35 am »

When someone says:

your body is bound to have wear and tear from repetitive movements

Tosh,

Repetitive strain is well documented surely? Office workers can often get carpel tunnel or bad wrists from typing all day, that’s one end of the spectrum for rsi.

For us, doing the exact same movements day in and day out is bound to take its toll.

I agree the body needs worked, and a seditary life style isn’t good. The best balance would be physical exercise, and the easiest and lightest work day as possible. Work isn’t really exercise, yes it burns some calories, but it’s not exertion, just wear and tear. 

Have a look at someone has done manual work there whole life, there knees, elbows, backs are usually in a real state.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

NWH

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 01:29:11 pm »
No you don’t have strain injuries now m8 but keep bending over reeling in and taking 1 for the team and you soon will have trust me lol,you don’t just get these injuries they happen over time years of doing repetition work one day your back or shoulder will say eh up this is to much for me. After that it will be coming back to haunt you every now and again,I had lower back ache I thought oh no not that please in this job,got the reel shoulder and frozen lower back problems 100% better. Like I say get 1 so you don’t have to put unnecessary strain on your body these days we have things to elevate the need for it compared to 15-20 years ago with WFP

NWH

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 01:31:03 pm »
Pick and shovel or JCB the fool would pick up the shovel imo.

Slacky

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 01:41:01 pm »
I haven't had shoulder issues since I got an electric reel. Prior to this they were regular.

Dry Clean

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2018, 03:17:13 pm »
Its like the hot water debate all over again, if your reeling in at every property then an electric reel could be a useful tool, if
your reeling in once or twice a day then its not going to make a noticeable difference to your working day, just a pity Dazmond
didn't apply the same logic before wasting £5k on a water heater to remove dust.

NWH

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 03:32:28 pm »
I bet you are all in favour of a belled end dryclean dear oh dear are you completely skint pal.

Dry Clean

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2018, 04:15:57 pm »
I bet you are all in favour of a belled end dryclean dear oh dear are you completely skint pal.

No mate the only difference between me and you is you have money and I have money and common sense.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2018, 04:21:15 pm »
Have to say... most windows I have cleaned this week have been filthy with the Beast ftom the East. However, they have been no more difficult or taken any longer to clean with cold water than hot! It's atmospheric dirt which removed without any extra effort! In fact, they have been no more difficult to clean than normal!!
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 06:18:10 pm »
No you don’t have strain injuries now m8 but keep bending over reeling in and taking 1 for the team and you soon will have trust me lol,you don’t just get these injuries they happen over time years of doing repetition work one day your back or shoulder will say eh up this is to much for me. After that it will be coming back to haunt you every now and again,I had lower back ache I thought oh no not that please in this job,got the reel shoulder and frozen lower back problems 100% better. Like I say get 1 so you don’t have to put unnecessary strain on your body these days we have things to elevate the need for it compared to 15-20 years ago with WFP

how many times do you reel in during the day though?ive reeled in twice today.average is 3 or 4 times a day thats it....
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2018, 07:12:52 pm »
On average I would say I do 6-8 jobs a day sometimes a few more but it makes no difference everyday regardless you are still reeling in,on a lot of my work I’m using a lot of hose but again makes no difference I would still be bending over hand cranking that reel if it was 20-30 meters. I’ve said it time and time again the hardest part of WFP imo is hand cranking in the hose,you will be very surprised at how much more energy you’ll have using electric I was sceptical at first but I would buy another in a heart beat if it broke.

NWH

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2018, 07:17:40 pm »
Actually it was my Mrs that said surely if it’s going to make your day easier get 1 when I was being tight about parting with the 600 odd notes 😂,anything for work that’ll make your day easier is not a waste of money end of. 3 things needed to make your day a pleasure and that’s Hot Water Electric reel and an Extreme selection of poles,sometimes it doesn’t feel like work walking round colouring in Windows with the old cans over the ear holes 😂

paul alan

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2018, 07:28:26 pm »
Actually it was my Mrs that said surely if it’s going to make your day easier get 1 when I was being tight about parting with the 600 odd notes 😂,anything for work that’ll make your day easier is not a waste of money end of. 3 things needed to make your day a pleasure and that’s Hot Water Electric reel and an Extreme selection of poles,sometimes it doesn’t feel like work walking round colouring in Windows with the old cans over the ear holes 😂

Colouring in windows, I love that.

NWH

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2018, 07:34:49 pm »
That’s all it is m8 isn’t it when there clean,I’ve got a selection of crayons in my van to reach the little squares,that’s why it makes me laugh when people moan about this job when they say it’s only cleaning windows there must be something else.lol I love it it’s an easy life when you’ve got the work no stress or the only stress is when the customers got the ump nothing you’ve done or you ain’t had enough sleep the night before and your a bit sleepy eyed,look at the lives some others have at the bus stops or waiting for the late trains. That’s the thing with Wcleaning you get too much time to think sometimes.

paul alan

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2018, 07:45:05 pm »
I totally agree, when you have done some of the jobs I have this window cleaning is a very cushy and well paid number!

I don't take it for granted.

We are lucky to have ended up here.