dazmond

even i had to admit defeat today!
« on: November 17, 2015, 02:52:23 pm »
too bad even for me this afternoon,strong squally winds and bursts of  heavy rain.worked 10am-1pm as i overslept this morning.

better luck tomorrow eh lads? ;D

looks like ill be working sat this week.oh what joy. ::)roll ;D
price higher/work harder!

NWH

Re: even i had to admit defeat today!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 04:22:14 pm »
Money wise got a full day in today,as I turned my heater off it started to rain. Down South

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:23:05 pm »
£10 off target  :D

kempy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:24:39 pm »
No point in wind and rain

8weekly

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 04:26:50 pm »
No point in wind and rain
Don't people pay in wind and rain?

martin hulstone

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 04:41:46 pm »
I don't see the point either, the windows would be just as bad by now if i went out cleaning this morning.
I know i certainly wouldn't pay anyone to clean my windows today, same way as i bet all the car washes where empty toady?

Johnny B

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 04:51:33 pm »
I completely agree, no point when it's wet and windy.

I wouldn't be best pleased if I paid for a service without some benefit from it.

I haven't done any of my residentials for a week now, and won't resume until I can give my customers the decent service that they deserve.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

martin hulstone

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:57:42 pm »

I wouldn't be best pleased if I paid for a service without some benefit from it.

I haven't done any of my residentials for a week now, and won't resume until I can give my customers the decent service that they deserve.
I have managed to work this week as i have indoor work but totally agree with you, we are providing a service for which we earn a decent living, if the weather is naff, do a bit of decorating or something and put a few more hours in when the weather is better.
John

8weekly

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 05:20:29 pm »

I have managed to work this week as i have indoor work but totally agree with you, we are providing a service for which we earn a decent living, if the weather is naff, do a bit of decorating or something and put a few more hours in when the weather is better.
John
Ok if it's just a bit of beer money.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 05:24:26 pm »
I am there to clean the dirt off that's accumulated since the last clean not to guarantee clean windows for the future.

So what about the customers i cleaned yesterday?

Perfectly fine and dry yesterday but tonight we will have a storm. Should i have not cleaned them as that's not the best service is it?

Until i LOSE customers through working through wind and rain then i MAY do something about it.

ascjim

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 05:30:23 pm »
Everything got done here. We are in the South.

Johnny B

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 05:37:17 pm »

John
Ok if it's just a bit of beer money.

I assure you it's not, and I am sure that goes for Martin as well.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Dave Willis

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 05:42:24 pm »
Record day for me.

Johnny B

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 05:45:28 pm »

duncan h

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 05:57:05 pm »
hammered it down all day and the wind is getting worse again. No one should work outside in this.
Yesterday was a really nice day. The only nice day in 2 weeks. Roll on Summer :)

SB Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 06:00:33 pm »
I am there to clean the dirt off that's accumulated since the last clean not to guarantee clean windows for the future.

So what about the customers i cleaned yesterday?

Perfectly fine and dry yesterday but tonight we will have a storm. Should i have not cleaned them as that's not the best service is it?

Until i LOSE customers through working through wind and rain then i MAY do something about it.
Well said mate :)

I've been working every day the last 2 weeks in the wind and rain with zero complaints...

Smurf

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 06:18:47 pm »
too bad even for me this afternoon,strong squally winds and bursts of  heavy rain.worked 10am-1pm as i overslept this morning.

better luck tomorrow eh lads? ;D

looks like ill be working sat this week.oh what joy. ::)roll ;D

Yer wimp  ;D

martin hulstone

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 06:27:02 pm »
As i see it, i am providing a window cleaning service to which the customers like to see an end result(even if it is only for a few hours), i could not look my customers in the eye and ask for money when rain is bouncing off the glass, as i said earlier, would you have taken your van for a wash today to have two weeks of crap washed off? me neither

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 06:30:58 pm »
I usually go to have my van washed WHEN it's raining.

Smaller Q and I don't have to waste time while they dry it.

lee_dewing

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 06:33:51 pm »
I try not to work in the rain, don't like it and pretty sure customers don't.

If I'm out and starts raining I'll dodge in out van.

If its raining from the start I won't go out until it stops.

Worked for a window cleaner who's had 30 years experience and wouldn't work if rain was hitting the glass.

Everyone does things differently but trying to shape things so I can get most of my round done on a 14 day schedule.

Will obviously do more days if weather lets me.
Probably got 20 days work that's why I struggle.

I think 4 days a week window cleaning a week is plenty, should be.

Been a busy fool to long.
Probably out Saturday too.
(being a busy fool).

Starting to get the "I will see you before Christmas"

Makes me laugh everyone wants their windows cleaned on Christmas eve.
Need Santa to get me around  ;)
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

martin hulstone

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 06:34:10 pm »
And then drive home on the roads that are flooded chucking spray and sh.. everywhere, about a big a waste of money as paying a window cleaner in a storm imo

SB Cleaning

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 06:43:05 pm »
Any half decent customer will know we have to work in bad weather to keep a reliable service and the pennies rolling in  ::)roll

Walter Mitty

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 06:45:55 pm »
I did a light half day myself.  There was some commercial work first thing which gets done in any (safe) conditions - that was before the storm kicked off.  Then I went and did a bit of inside window cleaning that the customer is happy for me to save up for bad days.  Hardly record earnings but at least I got a few fiddly bits and pieces out of the way.  Truth be told, I didn't even get to three numbers but at least I kept things rolling - and it was all less than two miles from home so didn't even cost me much in fuel.

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 06:47:17 pm »

John

so you ve not earned any money for a week now john?

so going by your mindset i shouldnt have worked this morning as it was forecast storms and rain this afternoon?

i disagree totally.i cleaned plenty of bird muck,bird strikes and snail trails off windows this morning.most of the customers who were home paid me there and then no problem.

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:28 pm »
I don't see the point either, the windows would be just as bad by now if i went out cleaning this morning.
I know i certainly wouldn't pay anyone to clean my windows today, same way as i bet all the car washes where empty toady?

if you were one of my customers id have dumped you by now!............messer!!! ;D ;D ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 06:51:56 pm »
And then drive home on the roads that are flooded chucking spray and sh.. everywhere, about a big a waste of money as paying a window cleaner in a storm imo

I have the van washed once a week. Do you seriously think a weeks worth of dirt can be accumulated in a 14 mile journey. Let me tell you this. It doesn't.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 06:52:31 pm »

if you were one of my customers id have dumped you by now!............messer!!! ;D ;D ;D

LOL - Can see it now. "Can you leave it this time"

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 06:54:41 pm »
I did a light half day myself.  There was some commercial work first thing which gets done in any (safe) conditions - that was before the storm kicked off.  Then I went and did a bit of inside window cleaning that the customer is happy for me to save up for bad days.  Hardly record earnings but at least I got a few fiddly bits and pieces out of the way.  Truth be told, I didn't even get to three numbers but at least I kept things rolling - and it was all less than two miles from home so didn't even cost me much in fuel.

exactly paul.

in bad weather spells that last weeks chipping away bit by bit at your workload is better than taking the whole week off(although i have done this on occasions in the past! ;D)

martin hulstone

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 06:59:59 pm »
I get loads of customers asking me to leave it in bad weather, if i told them where to go i would lose a good chunk of business.
Where i live you need a hell of a lot of customers as they only want doing 8 weekly so have to give lee way on occasion.

tlwcs

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2015, 07:00:38 pm »
Any half decent customer will know we have to work in bad weather to keep a reliable service and the pennies rolling in  ::)roll

This is the crux of it for me.. People want a reliable service but then must expect 2 or 3 cleans a year where it is done on wet and or windy days. WFP is a wet system. There will be exceptions like coastal properties or maybe very close to fast roads
It not pleasant working in the wet but there's good wet gear available if you choose to do it.
I try not to let the customer dictate when I work and never wonder what they think!
Tony

Johnny B

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 07:02:59 pm »

John

so going by your mindset i shouldnt have worked this morning as it was forecast storms and rain this afternoon?

i disagree totally.i cleaned plenty of bird muck,bird strikes and snail trails off windows this morning.most of the customers who were home paid me there and then no problem.

That's right Daz, I haven't earned for a week. No big deal, I'll be busy enough catching up when the weather improves.  :)

John

Mike #1

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2015, 07:06:54 pm »
Surely the weather hasn't been that bad anywhere that you were unable to work for a week.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2015, 07:09:30 pm »
I do work in conditions that I class as moderate rain and/or moderate wind.  That gives me leeway to earn in quite wet and blustery conmditions.  Occasionally though, it's just too much.  Today was such a day (part of it anyhow).
My rule of thumb for rain is if I can get away with intermittent wipe on the van windscreen - though I have been known to work in worse when the cashflow is playing up.

Johnny B

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 07:18:21 pm »
Surely the weather hasn't been that bad anywhere that you were unable to work for a week.

Come to South West of Ireland and see for yourself.  :)

John

Jonny 87

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2015, 07:43:15 pm »

John

That's right Daz, I haven't earned for a week. No big deal, I'll be busy enough catching up when the weather improves.  :)

John

So what happens next week when/if we get lovely weather. Your now behind schedule and your customers are annoyed because there Windows are filthy.

I always say this..... You've got two options/scenarios.

If you don't work in bad weather you either...

1) only have a part time round,

Or

2) you are always unreliable and behind schedule.

For me (and my customers)the lesser of the evils is just to crack on (within reason) and keep to schedule. This way the customers know when to expect me, and I also earn a lot more than if I was to take a few days off every other week.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Johnny B

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 07:53:21 pm »

John

John

So what happens next week when/if we get lovely weather. Your now behind schedule and your customers are annoyed because there Windows are filthy.

Or

For me (and my customers)the lesser of the evils is just to crack on (within reason) and keep to schedule. This way the customers know when to expect me, and I also earn a lot more than if I was to take a few days off every other week.

No one expects me to turn up in the weather  we are having here. Even when I am a little behind, it's more from my perspective than my customers', so there is always plenty of scope for flexibility.

I must be doing something right though, as I don't owe or claim a penny.  :)

John

deeege

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 07:54:16 pm »
I got a full day in, 7am- 3pm. Just up the road from you Daz, your slacking mate! 😀
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

SeanK

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »

John

John

Or

So what happens if its not within reason or you decide to take a fortnights holiday ? the only people who will be effected schedule wise by taking time out because of bad weather are people who for what ever reason have filled their workload to the rafters.

SeanK

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 08:11:39 pm »
Just out of curiosity what do you guys call high winds, I have tried to clean in 50 mile an hour gusts and found it
impossible to do a decent job, the pole felt like a fishing rod with a 100lb fish tugging on the line and the water was hitting
everything but the glass.

dazmond

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 08:30:37 pm »
Just out of curiosity what do you guys call high winds, I have tried to clean in 50 mile an hour gusts and found it
impossible to do a decent job, the pole felt like a fishing rod with a 100lb fish tugging on the line and the water was hitting
everything but the glass.

yep same sean.time to call it a day!last time i tried i got 3 call backs/complaints(about 8 months ago if you remember!) ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 09:34:35 pm »
There is a big difference in winds and gusts though.

Today wasn't that bad here. Prob 30-50mph gusts.

sunshine windows

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2015, 10:39:42 pm »
I did 8.30am-12.30pm, got absolutely drenched finishing one job off. Went home for 1 1/2 hour lunch to dry off. Sat in the van at next job until 2.30pm, managed to finish 2 jobs short of target by 3.45pm, so pretty pleased.

It was lashing it down with strong winds at times, but had I not have done some jobs I'd fall behind and I haven't been behind schedule for about 5 years. Just bad luck it's my busiest week for the month
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Carl2009

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 09:51:19 am »
Jeez, the weather continues - it's turning into 2012/13. Today was forecast a better day. I thought i'd risk it and head out. Did one ground floor window and here I am back home. Strong wind and drizzle - too dangerous plus any windows cleaned would be filthy in half an hour - this wind brings with it spray from the sea even though we are miles inland. My own windows are filthy from the wind.

Although I've had the work in Nov I've had to miss the 5th, 6th, 10th, 16th, 17th and today. It's going to hit the wallet NEXT month: I leave spare days in the month for this kind of weather but I've used them all up. Because of my spare day strategy i'll be 1 day only behind next month IF I can work all days Mon to and inc Sat between now and the 30th, HOWEVER because everything is now pushed to the end of the month and we have Christmas i'll lose in December.

There is a new lad near me started in April and priced really low. He's a nice bloke but I did warn him he should be careful because he has winter to get through (it's easy the first 18 months too because all your equipment is new too but at some point he'll need to replace). I wonder how he's getting on...

How are lads in Lancs, N Wales and Cumbria getting on?

SeanK

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 11:13:10 am »
Carl that's the problem with new starts who price to make x amount a day, they don't consider that this isn't an
39 hour week 52 weeks a year job, you have to allow for time off should that be for bad weather, holidays or whatever.
When you remove the all weather guys on here with more wind than the storms I wonder how many are out working in these conditions because of under pricing.

simonr

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 11:30:11 am »
[

[/quote]

south cumbria is torrential ,  did some shops first thing, back home since 9 - again -

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2015, 11:40:12 am »

John

John

Or

No one expects me to turn up in the weather  we are having here. Even when I am a little behind, it's more from my perspective than my customers', so there is always plenty of scope for flexibility.

John

Good man. I reckon some of the boasters, BS on here going out in all weathers are clearly just desperate for cash and live hand to mouth? :-\

Next, they will be talking about "paperwork".

wfp master

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2015, 01:21:02 pm »
agree.

wfp master

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2015, 01:22:10 pm »

John
+1

Lakes and Pennine

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2015, 01:30:16 pm »
[

south cumbria is torrential ,  did some shops first thing, back home since 9 - again -

/quote]

North cumbria, sacked this morning. prepaired for aftter diner but just been to penrith and its bouncing down

martin hulstone

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2015, 02:34:41 pm »
Why would you even want to work in this weather anyway, desperation? Your clothes would be wet through, transfering onto your van seats, everything steamed up in the van, cold, miserable,dangerous,customers pi..ed off with you turning up,( even if they dont tell you to your face)The list is extensive.
I have priced my work well to factor in days when i cant work, and just do a bit extra when the weather is good.
I expect the decision to work or not is tougher if you employ staff who are keen to work and are on contracts?

Johnny B

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2015, 02:44:10 pm »
Why would you even want to work in this weather anyway, desperation? Your clothes would be wet through, transfering onto your van seats, everything steamed up in the van, cold, miserable,dangerous,customers pi..ed off with you turning up,( even if they dont tell you to your face)The list is extensive.
I have priced my work well to factor in days when i cant work, and just do a bit extra when the weather is good.
I expect the decision to work or not is tougher if you employ staff who are keen to work and are on contracts?

Good post Martin.

John

SB Cleaning

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2015, 02:45:12 pm »
So what do you do on a lovely sunny day but the forecast is for heavy rain the same night??

KS Cleaning

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2015, 03:04:06 pm »
I don't work in heavy rain, if  it's just drizzle and it isn't hitting the windows that's fine, any heavier and it's a no no for me.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2015, 03:05:04 pm »
LOL at some of the comments on here.

Just got in, 2 houses short of what i wanted. Weather is sooooooo bad here lol

SeanK

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2015, 03:11:55 pm »
LOL at some of the comments on here.

Just got in, 2 houses short of what i wanted. Weather is sooooooo bad here lol

Yes you do have to laugh at guys who don't need to work in storms, personally I find it funnier when guys think its
a badge of honour.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2015, 03:23:30 pm »
A badge?

f*** me i want one of them  ;D

SB Cleaning

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2015, 03:32:47 pm »
I'm surprised some of you lot get anything done if you sack a day off every time it's raining...you must be providing a really reliable service ;D

Jonny 87

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »

Waterproofs?

The fact of the matter is that if you don't want to work outside when it's wet then that is completely up to the individual. This is why we are self employed.

Some of us just have a full round and like to be reliable for our customers. Others are happy to be late around their work, and obviously their customers are happy with that too.

Let's face it, wfp  window cleaning is a nice easy job. I'm happy to work mon-fri in MOST weather conditions, and I can enjoy my weekends and evenings, by doing this I earn alot more than I would if I only worked in decent weather, and my customers are happy because they have a reliable window cleaner.

In my case everyone's a winner.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2015, 03:56:21 pm »
Jonny 87 dont be silly lol.

A few on here don't know the difference between opinion and fact.

With you working in rain you must be desperate don't ya know ;)

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2015, 03:59:37 pm »
Rained but I carried on anyways, customers were telling me to put my hood up and offering me coffee aswell as ' shall I open the back gate for you'  even ' can you come December 24th?' ...err no I can't love, il be at home with the kids  ;D
No complaint, happy to see me as usual

martin hulstone

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2015, 04:14:48 pm »
I do work in rain if it doesn"t affect my job, light rain, not landing on the glass etc, but yesterday for instance, i dont believe i would have been providing a service for my customers, i would have merely been earning a wage for myself!

Jonny 87

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2015, 04:21:04 pm »
Jonny 87 dont be silly lol.

A few on here don't know the difference between opinion and fact.

With you working in rain you must be desperate don't ya know ;)

;D

SeanK

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2015, 04:26:31 pm »
I think the problem is some on here don't know what the difference is in rain and a storm.

Carl2009

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2015, 04:27:25 pm »
The weather is always a conversation starter on here. It all depends on:
1. Your own financial situation - mortgage, loans, employees.
2. Where in the country you are - do you service estates away from  the coast and busy roads or are you in Blackpool doing guest houses?
3. The type and direction of rain - onshore from the sea with plenty of wind? Just vertical drizzle or moderate rain?
4. Is there significant wind with it? Is the water blowing off the sills / away from the glass on rinsing?
5. Are your customers home or at work? If they are not home they don't moan.
6. Are they retired or not? Retirees tend to be on fixed incomes and don't want to see you when it's "raining". Oh you can try and "train them" but they begrudge it I for one want custies to be pleased to see me.
7. How far do you have to drive to the round you plan on doing? If it's a schlepp then getting in half a day can mess up your week.
8. Do you price right? If you do you'll be able to afford to drop the odd day each month.
9. Do you leave spare days in the month for bad weather and other unforeseen events? If not, why not. Put your prices up and implement this.

Personally this last fortnight has been as bad as anything I've known since I started in 2009. I am lucky in that I don't have a mortgage, loans or employ, I have priced right and leave spare days (even though I've used them all up now). I'm unlucky because I live in a wet part of Wales, 900 feet up, with a lot of retired custies and I have to travel quite a way for different rounds as i'm rural. This means if it comes in half way through a day and the day gets cut short it can really mess up my week. We also get a LOT of wind and wind is worse than rain often - you can finish a house and the windows are unsatisfactory by the time they've dried.

We all have our crosses but I do feel that I don't expect my customers to pay for a less than perfect result. Any clean should last a day or two at the very least and hopefully in normal weather a couple of weeks on your "standard" house. Anyway cleaning in anything more than light rain with little wind is miserable no matter what gear you have on.

I wonder what the winter will bring...

Jonny 87

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2015, 04:28:21 pm »
I do work in rain if it doesn"t affect my job, light rain, not landing on the glass etc, but yesterday for instance, i dont believe i would have been providing a service for my customers, i would have merely been earning a wage for myself!

And is that necessarily a bad thing? Or do you not think being reliable regardless of the weather is just as much of a service?

It's here that lies the problem. It's a grey area. As Number23 says its opinion. Not fact.

You have two choices......

Work in poor weather but provide a reliable service for your customers...

Or

Only clean your customers Windows in good weather, but your always late.

SeanK

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2015, 04:30:13 pm »

Martin these same guys will be debating in a few weeks time on how they where able to get better money by offering
a better service, like I have said some of them blow more wind than the storms. ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2015, 04:35:29 pm »
Another record day today for me.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2015, 04:39:07 pm »
I did as full a day as I wanted to today (9.30-3.30).
It was dry down here in the south-east corner, apart from light spray a couple of times for five minutes.  It was pretty windy though, but definitely workable.  I earned a little more than I planned, so all good.

8weekly

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2015, 05:02:40 pm »

John

John

Or

John

Good man. I reckon some of the boasters, BS on here going out in all weathers are clearly just desperate for cash and live hand to mouth? :-\

Next, they will be talking about "paperwork".
Old jelly boots.  ;D

Carl2009

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2015, 05:08:16 pm »

And is that necessarily a bad thing? Or do you not think being reliable regardless of the weather is just as much of a service?

It's here that lies the problem. It's a grey area. As Number23 says its opinion. Not fact.

Or

I'm not sure that I can agree with this. It's not good service to clean someone's windows knowing in a short time - a matter of hours even - they will be as bad as when you arrived, indeed it's morally wrong, especially if the customer is vulnerable. Nor is good service to turn up and clean someone's windows when they don't want it (though they don't vocalise it). In addition it's not a case of only clean windows when the weather is "good"; it's about thinking strategically about how you can provide the best service at a value-for-money price (that doesn't mean the cheapest) at a frequency and timeliness that the customer and you are happy with.

Experience tells me that most people don't know you are late by a day or so (that's all it would be if you planned and priced correctly); indeed I bet i'm not alone in hearing people say "Is it a month already". If you've heard that you've made my point for me.

Stoots

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2015, 05:47:32 pm »
dont have so much work so that if you miss a day you have to work weekends to catch up, feck that

get 3/4 days worth of windows a week so then youve room to breath, fill the rest of the time in with one offs or just work shorter days, work a little less, earn a little less and live a lot more imo

Johnny B

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2015, 05:47:47 pm »

Or

I'm not sure that I can agree with this. It's not good service to clean someone's windows knowing in a short time - a matter of hours even - they will be as bad as when you arrived, indeed it's morally wrong, especially if the customer is vulnerable. Nor is good service to turn up and clean someone's windows when they don't want it (though they don't vocalise it). In addition it's not a case of only clean windows when the weather is "good"; it's about thinking strategically about how you can provide the best service at a value-for-money price (that doesn't mean the cheapest) at a frequency and timeliness that the customer and you are happy with.

Experience tells me that most people don't know you are late by a day or so (that's all it would be if you planned and priced correctly); indeed I bet i'm not alone in hearing people say "Is it a month already". If you've heard that you've made my point for me.

I agree with you Carl. My customers (most of whom have my phone number and I theirs) would be phoning me if they thought I was excessively late. Very, very rarely does this happen.

I live in the south west of Ireland (an area of high unemployment, elderly and welfare claimants) which also suffers a wetter and sometimes windier climate than average for this country.

All these  factors have to be taken into account, as I would almost certainly go out of business very quickly if I tried to enforce any conditions on my customers by working in inclement weather.  At the same time, I have a family to support, and at my age, my employment options are very  limited, so I have to balance these factors carefully in order to provide the kind of service my customers want, and at the same time make a reasonable living.

I've lived in Ireland for over 4 years now, started up from scratch in the middle of the biggest recession in recent memory, haven't claimed and don't owe a penny. I'm happy with the way things are. True, it's been over a week since I have been able to do my residentials, but I'll be flying once the storms have passed.

John

Frankybadboy

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2015, 05:53:43 pm »
we love the rain  ;D

KS Cleaning

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2015, 05:54:05 pm »
I work on a 4 weekly schedule, I usually work a 4 day week which gives me flexibility, If I am a few days late this month because of the weather, I just bring it back the next month, eg. route 1 let's say was due on Monday but due to the recent weather it didn't get cleaned until Wednesday/ Thursday, next month route 1 will still be cleaned on the Monday, if any customer says I am a few days early, I tell them I was late last time and I have to bring it back in to keep to my schedule and not to worry, over the year you won't get any more than 13 cleans and in most cases it will be 12 cleans due to holidays.

Johnny B

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2015, 05:56:09 pm »
we love the rain  ;D

Come to Ireland then Franky. You'd be like a pig in you know what!  ;D

John

Frankybadboy

« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2015, 05:57:21 pm »
we love the rain  ;D

Come to Ireland then Franky. You'd be like a pig in you know what!

John
skin water proof so i dont see a problem ;) ;D :P ::)roll

8weekly

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2015, 06:04:44 pm »
The thing is that if & when you employ someone, you just have to carry on. If it's hammering it down, sit it out in the van, but that's an extremely rare occurrence here. Perhaps twice this year? 

The other thing to bear in mind is that if you plan to employ, or God forbid  work full time and have a full round (5 days a week 8:30-4  then you have to carry on. It's not about "hand to mouth" as some suggest, it's about maximising your income.

Whatever you think, people really don't complain and if they do, give them a guarantee. If they still aren't happy either dump or skip.

gary999

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2015, 06:25:22 pm »
worked 9am-1:30pm until rain got really heavy..no  strong winds though

SB Cleaning

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2015, 06:25:45 pm »
The thing is that if & when you employ someone, you just have to carry on. If it's hammering it down, sit it out in the van, but that's an extremely rare occurrence here. Perhaps twice this year? 

The other thing to bear in mind is that if you plan to employ, or God forbid  work full time and have a full round (5 days a week 8:30-4  then you have to carry on. It's not about "hand to mouth" as some suggest, it's about maximising your income.

Whatever you think, people really don't complain and if they do, give them a guarantee. If they still aren't happy either dump or skip.
Exactly...

All my custys know I do a 24 hr guarantee...I think I've had 2 call backs in 6 years :)

dazmond

« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2015, 06:30:21 pm »
im not gonna earn 40-45k a year having a day off every time its bad weather! :)

granted the weathers been a bit crap lately but ive only had 2 afternoons off(today and yesterday) so im only a day behind which ill easily catch up on by working this sat. :)

its looking workable for the rest of the week lads! :D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2015, 06:30:29 pm »
Today I offered a 24 minute guarantee  ;D

SB Cleaning

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2015, 06:31:40 pm »
Today I offered a 24 minute guarantee  ;D
;D ;D

windowswashed

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2015, 06:33:07 pm »
I ain't sitting in a van waiting for rain to stop. Horrendous winds first thing this morning, didn't stop me working, then the winds eased but it started raining, continued working, then the rain eased later ion the afternoon and I finished the day out working until 4pm and went home a happy chappy. It has been horrible mixture of strong or gusty winds and rain for the past three weeks in the south west and with the exception of four working days I've perservered as I have a mortgage on my own to pay along with 2 vans and all the other bills so  just earning enough to pay bills and put some aside for emergencies. Don't believe in sitting on my backside praying for decent weather as it ain't happening

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2015, 06:37:28 pm »

Another desperado  ;D

Walter Mitty

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2015, 06:40:55 pm »
From Callous Bank Ltd.

Dear Mr Mitty.
Why haven't you paid your mortgagew this month.

REPLY:  I'm very sorry but I was too scared of my customers to work.  Can I pay you double next month please?

sunshine windows

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2015, 06:41:14 pm »
Managed to get all my work done today, plus the 2 I never got round to doing yesterday  ;D
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

martin hulstone

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2015, 06:45:25 pm »
From Callous Bank Ltd.

Dear Mr Mitty.

REPLY:  I'm very sorry but I was too scared of my customers to work.  Can I pay you double next month please?
Or alternatively, charge the right price and be prepared for bad weather(save all the money you get from extras in the summer) and that way you dont have to worry about taking off days in really bad weather!
Also i wish people would not come on a forum telling us how much they earn ::)roll

martin hulstone

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2015, 06:47:15 pm »
Customer, are you working today in this?
windie, yes or i wont earn 40 45k and take 5 star holidays ::)roll

8weekly

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2015, 06:47:50 pm »
From Callous Bank Ltd.

Dear Mr Mitty.

Or alternatively, charge the right price and be prepared for bad weather(save all the money you get from extras in the summer) and that way you dont have to worry about taking off days in really bad weather!
Also i wish people would not come on a forum telling us how much they earn ::)roll
Think you'll find Dazmond was joking. He earns at least double that.   ;D

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2015, 06:56:50 pm »
IMO there is no need to work in the rain, and, in fact, there's more to be gained by not working in the rain than there is by carrying on regardless.
Many people just look at the loss of earnings from not working in the rain.
When starting my business up I decided that I was not going to work in any sort of wet and blustery weather. (also strong winds on dry days in summer blowing dust around when wfp ) As a customer of a window cleaner before starting my own business, I would of not been happy to pay for windows cleaned in the rain, so why clean my customers?
How has this worked out for me?
Well 99% of our work is domestic and verbally agreed with the house holder to be cleaned every 4 weeks, this means 13 cleans a year.  We never hit 13 cleans, our average across the business is 12 cleans per year.  (customers NEVER complains if we are late, in fact 99% don't even notice or are even bothered)
So whats the up side to not cleaning in the rain??  It needs to be pretty good as we have lost 1  clean in the year on all our domestic customers.
So what is it?
BUSINESS GROWTH
IMO, if you are wanting to build the ultimate one/two man round, top prices, no messers, etc etc, then cleaning in the rain is fine. It's fine because you are not looking for every possible customer you can get in your area, you are only needing enough for you and maybe a helper or partner.
BUT, if you are wanting to build a large business and build it QUICKLY, one that you can manage off the tools and put your name too it, then customer service HAS too come before your own personal earnings, and, IMO, cleaning in the rain falls short on providing a quality, value for money service. Call me Steve Jobs (read the book and you will know), but that's just the way I am.
For the past few years we have asked every new customer for feed back after the first clean and what they expect from us. YOU WOULD BE AMAZED at what customers expect, AND, this is the most important bit of my novel I'm writing here, the reasons why they have changed window cleaner or not had one for a while. AMAZED. Number 2 on our list of reasons for cancelling a window cleaning service is having them cleaned in the rain.

Hope these comments help if you are reading this and trying to decide whether to clean or not to clean in the rain.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2015, 06:58:23 pm »
From Callous Bank Ltd.

Dear Mr Mitty.

You know where the door is if you don't like it ::)roll

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2015, 07:07:20 pm »
So when a customer sells their house and moves 150 miles away. Really it's because they didn't want the windows cleaned in the rain but they didn't want to tell me lol.

I have never ever had a customer turn round to me and say we sacked our last cleaner Coz he cleaned in the rain.

Still waiting to loose my first customer from cleaning in the rain.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2015, 07:09:58 pm »
Maybe you don't have any decent competition around your neck of the woods number 23??  ;)

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2015, 07:10:57 pm »
Ain't got a clue. 500 customers and closed the books two months ago.

Only work I take on is in the same street or next door to other houses.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2015, 07:14:33 pm »
Most windies cant be bothered doing any form of market research other than finding out what there competition charges. We find out what customers want, then give them that, then they tell there friends what we do then we give them what they want, then they tell there friends and we give them what they want, so on and so on.

SeanK

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2015, 07:17:31 pm »
im not gonna earn 40-45k a year having a day off every time its bad weather! :)

granted the weathers been a bit crap lately but ive only had 2 afternoons off(today and yesterday) so im only a day behind which ill easily catch up on by working this sat. :)

its looking workable for the rest of the week lads! :D

45k for working all weathers, I would need at least double that to get me out in the weather conditions we have had
this week.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2015, 07:19:38 pm »
Why over complicate things  ???

Customer wants Windows cleaned. They pay me.

I know you have a franchise thing going on so will be different.

All my spare time and money does elsewhere. Not back into window cleaning

SeanK

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2015, 07:21:36 pm »

500 customers between two vans what are you 2 weekly ?

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2015, 07:22:18 pm »

Well done 23, seriously if you are full and happy then that's great. I stand by my comments though. We attract and clean 250 customers every 3  months at the moment, to achieve these figures you cannot turn down fussy customers.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2015, 07:24:50 pm »

500 customers between two vans what are you 2 weekly ?

Nope, nope and nope.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2015, 07:25:45 pm »

Well done 23, seriously if you are full and happy then that's great. I stand by my comments though. We attract and clean 250 customers every 3  months at the moment, to achieve these figures you cannot turn down fussy customers.

Do you mean 250 new customers or 2500 regular. Lost lol

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2015, 07:28:15 pm »
250 NEW. We are having a massive push at the moment. Leaflets and canvassing. Customers gained over winter months are normally great customers!! 2 more vans planned for early 2016.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2015, 07:31:49 pm »
Ah ok.

I am extremely happy with work. Just stream lining it now. Basically making my working life easier.

Jonny 87

« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2015, 07:31:59 pm »
IMO there is no need to work in the rain, and, in fact, there's more to be gained by not working in the rain than there is by carrying on regardless.
When starting my business up I decided that I was not going to work in any sort of wet and blustery weather. (also strong winds on dry days in summer blowing dust around when wfp ) As a customer of a window cleaner before starting my own business, I would of not been happy to pay for windows cleaned in the rain, so why clean my customers?
Well 99% of our work is domestic and verbally agreed with the house holder to be cleaned every 4 weeks, this means 13 cleans a year.  We never hit 13 cleans, our average across the business is 12 cleans per year.  (customers NEVER complains if we are late, in fact 99% don't even notice or are even bothered)
So whats the up side to not cleaning in the rain??  It needs to be pretty good as we have lost 1  clean in the year on all our domestic customers.
So what is it?
BUSINESS GROWTH
IMO, if you are wanting to build the ultimate one/two man round, top prices, no messers, etc etc, then cleaning in the rain is fine. It's fine because you are not looking for every possible customer you can get in your area, you are only needing enough for you and maybe a helper or partner.
BUT, if you are wanting to build a large business and build it QUICKLY, one that you can manage off the tools and put your name too it, then customer service HAS too come before your own personal earnings, and, IMO, cleaning in the rain falls short on providing a quality, value for money service. Call me Steve Jobs (read the book and you will know), but that's just the way I am.
For the past few years we have asked every new customer for feed back after the first clean and what they expect from us. YOU WOULD BE AMAZED at what customers expect, AND, this is the most important bit of my novel I'm writing here, the reasons why they have changed window cleaner or not had one for a while. AMAZED. Number 2 on our list of reasons for cancelling a window cleaning service is having them cleaned in the rain.

Hope these comments help if you are reading this and trying to decide whether to clean or not to clean in the rain.

This is all fine and well but it provides a very one sided view.

Personally I never lose customers because of quality ( I always ask them the question), in fact at most I lose half a dozen a year due to moving or kicking the bucket etc. On the other hand..... I don't advertise and have never canvassed, and Ive built up to currently 400 customers on a 4 weekly schedule. Nearly all of it has come from recommendations. Imagine if I actually tried to build the business??

What sets me apart from most cleaners in my area? From the customers that I speak to they were fed up of the unreliable, not knowing when they were going to turn up previous window cleaners.

Working in "most" weathers has worked for me, and I advise anyone who wants to work through the rain..... Just do what YOU want to do. It's your business. 99% of your customers won't bat an eyelid, and you become part of the furniture because you are there every month rain hail or shine.

Plus the fact you won't lose out on any loss of income due to some rain.

If I was missing out on a months wage every year and had been since I started window cleaning purely because of some rain and wind...... That would be a lot of cash. Enough cash for someone to get themselves on the property ladder, or start buying to let properties and getting out of the window cleaning game altogether.

Money isnt the be all and end all, far from it. But a few days here and there missed because of weather really adds up.

dazmond

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2015, 07:38:36 pm »
Customer, are you working today in this?
windie, yes or i wont earn 40 45k and take 5 star holidays ::)roll

whats wrong with that?its true!if i spent half my days moaning about the weather and not working i wouldnt be staying in 5 star hotels and eating out in nice restaurants occasionally. :)

dazmond

« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2015, 07:48:15 pm »
So what is it?
BUSINESS GROWTH

i only started cleaning in the rain when i switched to wfp nearly 6 years ago and my round has just gone from strength to strength as well as my yearly earnings.im on top of my game for sure.ive never had it so good! ;D

martin hulstone

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2015, 07:51:27 pm »
Nothing wrong with it whatsoever, just dont think you need to be telling people how much you earn.
When i was a window cleaner in Bolton i would never dream of earning that and i would feel pretty peed off knowing how much you are earning! Salaries are like religion and politics, best not talked about.
And before anybody says you should have been charging more in bolton , i couldnt, loads an loads of windies working cash in hand charging 4 quid a terrace and 6 quid a 3 bedder!

dazmond

« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2015, 07:57:55 pm »
Nothing wrong with it whatsoever, just dont think you need to be telling people how much you earn.
When i was a window cleaner in Bolton i would never dream of earning that and i would feel pretty peed off knowing how much you are earning! Salaries are like religion and politics, best not talked about.
And before anybody says you should have been charging more in bolton , i couldnt, loads an loads of windies working cash in hand charging 4 quid a terrace and 6 quid a 3 bedder!

martin IVE EARNED IT MATE!!ive been window cleaning for 22 years.the vast majority of those years i just about paid my bills when trad only.

ive put a lot of time,effort and commitment to knocking my round into much better shape as well as investing in wfp.

its not happened "overnight".its took 6 years.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2015, 08:16:51 pm »
So what is it?
BUSINESS GROWTH

This is all fine and well but it provides a very one sided view.

Personally I never lose customers because of quality ( I always ask them the question), in fact at most I lose half a dozen a year due to moving or kicking the bucket etc. On the other hand..... I don't advertise and have never canvassed, and Ive built up to currently 400 customers on a 4 weekly schedule. Nearly all of it has come from recommendations. Imagine if I actually tried to build the business??

What sets me apart from most cleaners in my area? From the customers that I speak to they were fed up of the unreliable, not knowing when they were going to turn up previous window cleaners.

Working in "most" weathers has worked for me, and I advise anyone who wants to work through the rain..... Just do what YOU want to do. It's your business. 99% of your customers won't bat an eyelid, and you become part of the furniture because you are there every month rain hail or shine.

Plus the fact you won't lose out on any loss of income due to some rain.

If I was missing out on a months wage every year and had been since I started window cleaning purely because of some rain and wind...... That would be a lot of cash. Enough cash for someone to get themselves on the property ladder, or start buying to let properties and getting out of the window cleaning game altogether.

Money isnt the be all and end all, far from it. But a few days here and there missed because of weather really adds up.

Get out there and get building it then!! By the way, I very rarely clean windows anymore because i got out there and built mine.

robbo333

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2015, 08:21:48 pm »
This week i've started cleaning in the rain.
Never done it before, but i'm so busy, I feel I really have no choice. Naturally i've read the reviews on this site and some say it's good and some say it's bad, but I thought i'd try it for myself and see.
So far I am really happy with the results. I feel more motivated that I can earn more and keep more on schedule. I actually feel like I can provide a better service to my customers (by keeping on track) than a worse service (by the result of poor cleaning quality due to the rain). I do only clean in light rain and not when it's bouncing off the floor. I also do an exceptionally good job whatever the weather.
I am very customer conscious and offer a 'rain guarantee' (they can contact me within 2 days of cleaning with any probs and I'll reclean for free).  I think that's fair and reasonable.
I'll monitor it and see how it goes.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

martin hulstone

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2015, 08:26:49 pm »
More or less same as you then, 15 yrs trad, 6wfp, i just think what you earn is irrelevant and doesnt need mentioning when justifying your work practice. :)

martin IVE EARNED IT MATE!!ive been window cleaning for 22 years.the vast majority of those years i just about paid my bills when trad only.

ive put a lot of time,effort and commitment to knocking my round into much better shape as well as investing in wfp.

its not happened "overnight".its took 6 years.

8weekly

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2015, 11:10:47 pm »
So when a customer sells their house and moves 150 miles away. Really it's because they didn't want the windows cleaned in the rain but they didn't want to tell me lol.

I have never ever had a customer turn round to me and say we sacked our last cleaner Coz he cleaned in the rain.

Still waiting to loose my first customer from cleaning in the rain.
I've had one say that in 5 years, but I clean that property in the rain and explained it doesn't make any difference. The most common reason is "he just stopped coming". 

Mike #1

« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2015, 06:26:40 am »
Fact weather forecast is very rarely spot on it was forecast to hammering it down for 2 hrs 10am-12pm  yesterday then be dry , I started at 8.20 am and worked till 11.30 and had to heavy downpours for 5 mins  until it got to bad , Rain was coming straight down  and barely hitting windows apart from when the odd gust of wind whipped up .

Had to sack it off till 1pm then out again got 2 houses then it lashed down again for 20 mins then was dry till 5.30 and i got soaked never got finished till 6 pm all in all i had a record day , In over 15 years of running my business i have worked in some crap weather at times and have not lost one single customer because of working in bad weather .

What ever is said on here you can only do what you feel is right for your business , I know 2 lads who will not have ventured out yesterday because they are scared of their customers turning them away , But they will be moaning about loss of earnings and been way behind same when the snow comes  ::)roll ::)roll

Carl2009

« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2015, 07:47:00 am »

Or

You won't always be late if you avoid really bad weather. If you are your business structure and / or pricing is wrong.

Carl2009

« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2015, 07:51:14 am »

Exactly...

All my custys know I do a 24 hr guarantee...I think I've had 2 call backs in 6 years :)

That doesn't mean they don't like you coming when the windows will be dirty again soon after you've cleaned. I had one guy who said they were dirty from the weather after I cleaned and I asked him why he didn't call me back. "Life got in the way mate" he said.

DaveG

« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2015, 07:52:45 am »
Never done it before, but i'm so busy, I feel I really have no choice. Naturally i've read the reviews on this site and some say it's good and some say it's bad, but I thought i'd try it for myself and see.
So far I am really happy with the results. I feel more motivated that I can earn more and keep more on schedule. I actually feel like I can provide a better service to my customers (by keeping on track) than a worse service (by the result of poor cleaning quality due to the rain). I do only clean in light rain and not when it's bouncing off the floor. I also do an exceptionally good job whatever the weather.
I am very customer conscious and offer a 'rain guarantee' (they can contact me within 2 days of cleaning with any probs and I'll reclean for free).  I think that's fair and reasonable.

Lovely down here in Sunny Dorset eh Robbo?  ???
You can't polish a turd

Carl2009

« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2015, 08:05:24 am »

You might find that there is a subtle change in mindset amongst your customers. They might go from being happy you are calling on them to being sorry you've come when the weather is so poor. We have to set it in context though. An isolated day of drizzle in the middle of a fairly settled week - i'm out in it and people don't mind, I know cos I've got that type of relationship with my custies. But when the forecast is for prolonged rain and winds or, and let's face it we've had two already - Abigail and Barney - stormy, it's reasonable IMO to delay.

Why not come out and ask people "Are you happy for me to clean in the rain". If you are afraid to ask this - your question is answered. You know that they are not, therefore you are providing a service that people don't want at that time. You may or may not be happy with that.

There is no right or wrong answer and it certainly depends on the type of weather, the people involved and location of each clean.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2015, 08:11:32 am »
It's all in the mind. Mainly the window cleaners mind.

Bit like canvassing. Some will and are highly structured. Some do if they have to. some can't face it.
It's a game of three halves!

8weekly

« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2015, 08:26:44 am »

Bit like canvassing. Some will and are highly structured. Some do if they have to. some can't face it.
That's it. A million excuses to disguise the one truth that they're worried their customers will be upset. It's all in the mind, but you have to overcome it.

tlwcs

« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2015, 10:53:59 am »

That's it. A million excuses to disguise the one truth that they're worried their customers will be upset. It's all in the mind, but you have to overcome it.

No, I speak for all my customers and think for most of them too.
My pricing and structure must be wrong lol

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2015, 12:21:52 pm »
Raining here and it's pretty bad.

One "waterproof" coat has been soaked through.

Last two customers I asked AFTER I had cleaned Windows whether they minded me cleaning in the rain

One said is it raining? The other said our last cleaner used to sit in the car waiting for it to stop. We felt like he was stalking us. So we cancelled him.

8weekly

« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2015, 01:23:47 pm »
Its been raining all morning here. The other van had one customer object to them being cleaned in the rain who wasn't persuaded by the guarantee so skipped. A £25 job. But, we are two days behind as van 2 off all last week. We have today between the two vans £800 booked in. Already two days behind, we'd have lost £800 today and be three days behind. Even if we had lost that one customer, so what? She's only worth £150 a YEAR! Steve Jobs my a%%e.   ;D

8weekly

« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2015, 01:25:24 pm »

Better ask Daz what jacket he wears.  ;D

G Griffin

« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2015, 01:46:26 pm »
The other said our last cleaner used to sit in the car waiting for it to stop. We felt like he was stalking us. So we cancelled him.
Was it their car?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

SB Cleaning

« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2015, 02:31:38 pm »
Yesterday I told all customers that if the windows were not up to standard due to the wind and rain  to ring me today and I would come and clean them again as I was in the same area anyway....

No calls so far...

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2015, 03:23:05 pm »

No calls so far...

They are ringing round getting other quotes mate that's why.  ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2015, 03:23:32 pm »
The other said our last cleaner used to sit in the car waiting for it to stop. We felt like he was stalking us. So we cancelled him.
Was it their car?

LOL  ;D ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2015, 03:24:47 pm »

Better ask Daz what jacket he wears.  ;D

I am not convinced waterproofs can withhold the rain all day though? Maybe they can. They costs £90 a jacket I would have thought they would have lasted a few hours. Lasted 2 before soaked through. Maybe try do cleaner to re protect them.

dazmond

« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »
9am-2pm today.dry all morning with no wind.by 2pm id had enough as torrential rain and wind moved in,sky went black and thought sod this and came home! ;D

SeanK

« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2015, 03:35:12 pm »
9am-2pm today.dry all morning with no wind.by 2pm id had enough as torrential rain and wind moved in,sky went black and thought sod this and came home! ;D

That hot water is making you lazy. ;D

SeanK

« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2015, 03:37:54 pm »
Record day Monday record day today get one tomorrow and I will have achieved my target and wont have got
wet achieving it, up your prices guys you know it makes sense. ;)

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2015, 03:54:54 pm »
Record day Monday record day today get one tomorrow and I will have achieved my target and wont have got

if I charged any more I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face when asking for payment.

dazmond

« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2015, 04:00:18 pm »

going round pretending you ve cleaned your customers windows is not good practice.you ll get found out eventually! ;D ;D ;D

SeanK

« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2015, 04:05:09 pm »

going round pretending you ve cleaned your customers windows is not good practice.you ll get found out eventually! ;D ;D ;D

Window cleaning customers are stupid Iv nothing to worry about. ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2015, 04:05:22 pm »
The thing is ........... if you have your van on tick and pay out £500 a month and employ then you don't really have any option (I've just been looking at the cvm ad for lease payments  :o sod that!)

If you're like Dazmond and are sick in the head then that's understandable too. However if like Dazmond you don't have a full round and take ten days off every month then I really can't see the point in working through atrocious conditions when by simply juggling your leisure time about you can avoid it.

Gold is right - it's mostly in our heads. I worked today in pouring rain - had a few moaners but generally I got away with it I felt.

dazmond

« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2015, 04:12:41 pm »
The thing is ........... if you have your van on tick and pay out £500 a month and employ then you don't really have any option (I've just been looking at the cvm ad for lease payments  :o sod that!)

If you're like Dazmond and are sick in the head then that's understandable too. However if like Dazmond you don't have a full round and take ten days off every month then I really can't see the point in working through atrocious conditions when by simply juggling your leisure time about you can avoid it.

Gold is right - it's mostly in our heads. I worked today in pouring rain - had a few moaners but generally I got away with it I felt.

;D ;D ;D

my time off is getting less and less dave due to more work.ive just looked on CP and my next little break is the first 3 days of december(tues/wed/thurs).i think ill get all my xmas pressies sorted then thats xmas 2015 boxed off! ;)

Walter Mitty

« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2015, 04:17:35 pm »

I finished about 2 as well.  It was raining and I could have done a bit more, but I had had enough by then.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2015, 04:52:29 pm »
Was it their car?

;D

Carl2009

« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2015, 07:01:48 pm »
Given our conversations this is relevant and funny https://youtu.be/fd3zDP_UOn4

Mike #1

« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2015, 07:02:47 pm »
I think its become apparent that this weather is Not For Girls but Real Men who will crack on in bad weather and provide a regular service with a Yorkie bar in one hand and WFP in the other  ;D ;D ;D ;D

tlwcs

« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2015, 07:40:05 pm »
Just sent a payment reminder (in a group message that's why it's not shown..
Property cleaned Tuesday in wind and rain. I did wonder about this one tbh as it backs onto farmers fields.

chris turner

« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2015, 08:36:49 pm »
Why all the kisses at the end of the texts!

G Griffin

« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2015, 08:42:12 pm »
It was a bloke .
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

tlwcs

« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2015, 08:49:02 pm »

She started it

It was a bloke .

Only in your head!

G Griffin

« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2015, 09:11:29 pm »
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2015, 09:29:26 am »
How cringeworthy all those kisses.

8weekly

« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2015, 02:57:30 pm »
How cringeworthy all those kisses.
Not often I agree with Hummer.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2015, 03:49:23 pm »
Went collecting Thursday night and had payments in from potential moaners on weather.

Not one comment, not one complaint.

Did 6am - 1pm today in "stormy weather" and no comments at all.