Re: Subcontractors Needed In These Areas For Immediate Work
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 10:14:26 pm »
Hang on a minute. Unless I'm missing something solar Steve says cleaning solar panels needs proper training. Are these chaps offering their services trained up?

And who trained Solar Steve in the first place so he was qualified to provide training?
I do a whole 15 minutes on that very question at the start of the training day.

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2015, 10:16:26 pm »
So if I have a big enough pole, I can advertise as a residential solar panel cleaner as one of my services? Do you need any special insurance or anything?

Bungle

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2015, 11:10:27 pm »
This is strange, I'd forgotten about the training. Steve called a couple of weeks ago enquiringly whether we could carry out a domestic solar job for him, but I've not gone through his training scheme, perhaps he thought I had ??? ???  :) :)

Had to turn it down anyway, too busy with a number of our own solar jobs. Just picked up three, smallest is 2,000 panels. They literally seem to be falling out the sky at the moment.
Training is needed for commercial jobs, not residential.  Just as I said the industry would begin to go, it is a stipulation in our contract that our subcontractors are trained. It's not a Mickey Mouse contract either. It's the biggest rooftop contract to be made available in the UK to date and the contract itself is 48 pages long, much of which refers to H&S.

Times are changing. But what do I know eh? I'm just a scammer trying to fill up a training course.  ::)roll
I don't need the money from the training course, I need long term Approved Contractors who I know can clean panels safely.

So to clarify in your words Steve baby, no training is needed to clean solar panels on a house but training is needed on a commercial job. So does that mean we are all ok to carry on as normal then and don't need your permission?

Please make your mind up son, you're becoming a teeny bit unprofessional.
We look at them, they look through them.

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2015, 07:13:33 am »
This is strange, I'd forgotten about the training. Steve called a couple of weeks ago enquiringly whether we could carry out a domestic solar job for him, but I've not gone through his training scheme, perhaps he thought I had ??? ???  :) :)

Had to turn it down anyway, too busy with a number of our own solar jobs. Just picked up three, smallest is 2,000 panels. They literally seem to be falling out the sky at the moment.
Training is needed for commercial jobs, not residential.  Just as I said the industry would begin to go, it is a stipulation in our contract that our subcontractors are trained. It's not a Mickey Mouse contract either. It's the biggest rooftop contract to be made available in the UK to date and the contract itself is 48 pages long, much of which refers to H&S.

Times are changing. But what do I know eh? I'm just a scammer trying to fill up a training course.  ::)roll
I don't need the money from the training course, I need long term Approved Contractors who I know can clean panels safely.

So to clarify in your words Steve baby, no training is needed to clean solar panels on a house but training is needed on a commercial job. So does that mean we are all ok to carry on as normal then and don't need your permission?

Please make your mind up son, you're becoming a teeny bit unprofessional.
I have tried my best not to talk about training because I don't want the thread to be blocked. I hope the mods don't block it because it is obviously still a very interesting subject to many.

Ok. No training of any kind is required by law.............yet. Within the solar industry though, attitudes are changing regarding this. They want it regulating in the same way as the MCS scheme for installers. They know that window cleaners across the land are advertising solar panel cleaning as a service, but are doing so with ignorance towards the H&S aspects.

Because we now run a high quality training course, the solar industry is trusting us with valuable, high profile contracts. We have set ourselves apart. Our latest and biggest contract dictates that anyone cleaning the panels must have their certificate of training from us.

So as a company, we have looked at this and decided that anyone who cleans any commercial site for us in the future must have been trained by us. For someone to carry out a residential clean for us does not require training because there is less risk. Not zero risk, less risk. This is now our company policy. But the solar industry is looking at regulating the cleaning of ALL solar panels. I am in detailed talks with one body as to how this can be set up.

As businessmen with employees, we should all be interested in the H&S of our employees. We should be willing to train them with new equipment we purchase or inform them about sites which have unique risks.

From another angle, it's a business no-brainer. Three years ago there was me on my own doing this and I cleaned less than 200 panels during 2012. Now I have a limited company that employs 8 people and this year will clean over 170,000 panels. Next year we already have confirmed over 260,000 panels without any new jobs coming through the door. Today I'm pricing up another 160,000 panels for next year.

If ANY of you added a new service, were growing at a rate like this and offering training to become an Approved Contractor for this new part of your business, I would be all over it like a nasty rash. I would want in.

Even if you cast the 'training' side of it aside, this is a great business opportunity.

In April, one company paid nearly £500.00 to train staff. They have since earned over £11k with no further investment needed. Another sole trader has earned about £6k with us this year.

I have thousands of pounds of work to go out to people in the north west and north east, but they must be trained by us first. I have to know they are working safely and to our standard. For someone out there, this training is a no-brainer.

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2015, 08:15:29 am »
I agree Steve, when the solar panel industry was going good, the people who realised it was a good money earner, earned loads , I'm talking £12,000 for a 3-4kw job ( panels cost a couple of grand) profit would have been around £8,000, the job was done in a day and there was endless work because the feed in tarrif was huge. The majority of fitters jumped on the band wagan in the last year of the good F.I.T , after the tariffs went down, so did the price ( £5,000 for a 3-4kw system) but there was still loads of profit in it .
Any ways , these panels are on there for 25 years tax free so people would be interested in getting them cleaned to protect there investment. I reckon there is a huge market out there, just like window cleaning

sunshine windows

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 09:04:21 am »
Quick question!

If your course and certificate are in house training only regulated by yourselves at the minute, what's to stop any other cleaning company from certifying themselves and claiming they are fully trained themselves, promoting this certificate to gain work?

Not having a pop, just curious.
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Plankton

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 09:44:46 am »
Then you would be called a rouge trader.

The Kellogg's Institution of Self Certification.

KLEENAWAY

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2015, 09:48:40 am »
Steve, do you have trained sub contractors in the northwest? Deeege said you already have them in the area? If you do why aren't these interested in the work stated?

Danny

Rogue Trader

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2015, 01:57:05 pm »
Am i missing something here?

I have just read that it will be against the law/h and s legislation or whatever to clean a solar panel commercially unless i have been trained by some lad called Steve whose company only just recently turned over enough money to register for VAT?

WTF!! ??? ???

LOL

Plankton

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2015, 02:15:29 pm »
People go on Dragons Den with little in the way of turnover and leave with substantial backing as what they have has great potential.
Duncan Bannatyne OBE from Clydebank, started with an ice cream van. I bet many people said who the f*** dose this guy think he is!

deeege

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 03:47:06 pm »
Steve, do you have trained sub contractors in the northwest? Deeege said you already have them in the area? If you do why aren't these interested in the work stated?

Danny

Hi Danny. No I said he has already used subbies to clean a few jobs in our area, this was probably before he was spamming his 'training' course so they are now not 'qualified'. I'd be interested to know why these subbies don't want to continue their working relationship with Steve, if it were such a good earner? Prices as low as 15-25p per panel is what I've heard on the grapevine.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Dave Willis

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2015, 04:56:56 pm »
Time to worry is when Steve manages to make it law to have a qualification and he becomes the official nvq trainer. "they" don't want it - he does for obvious reasons.
Only people with a certificate can clean.
Only person who offers the training is Stevo
Can only be trained if you become his subcontractor.
The only work you can do is what Stevo gives you.
You have to use his signwriting and advertise his company (probably on your own website).

Kerching! Steve gets the total monopoly of the business all over the uk and there will be nowt you can do about it.......... unless....
you get there first and start your own training company and get official approval.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2015, 05:28:37 pm »
I don't see that as a need to worry. I see that as part of the system of supply and demand. It's all about evolution in a business sense. Eventually a level playing field will evolve, it's up to Steve whether he wants to be part of it or not.

Dave Willis

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 05:46:33 pm »
No? but he could get the monopoly over all commercial work? Can't see that as being healthy?

Don Kee

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2015, 06:03:50 pm »
So basically its going to become like IPAF?
Technically you dont need an ipaf license to use a cherry picker, but try hiring a mobile/static boom and without one...

IPAF are a business not a goverining body, but I guess they are recognised across the industry & are the recognised 'rule setters'

Hey if mr Steve gets to that stage then fair play, I know I aint got gumption to push for it

8weekly

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2015, 06:19:25 pm »
So basically its going to become like IPAF?
Technically you dont need an ipaf license to use a cherry picker, but try hiring a mobile/static boom and without one...

IPAF are a business not a goverining body, but I guess they are recognised across the industry & are the recognised 'rule setters'

Hey if mr Steve gets to that stage then fair play, I know I aint got gumption to push for it
He's got a few contracts and has said he'll only use trained people with his certificate. It's all self aggrandisement.

Majestic

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2015, 07:16:30 pm »
How much  is he charging for his course
I started out with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.

Majestic Window Cleaning
www.majesticwindowcleaning.co.uk

Mick Kent

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2015, 07:20:59 pm »
Why wouldnt Steve want trained competent guys subbing from him??
Any one can clean a solar panel yes, but if something did go wrong im guessing without training and a certificate then insurance wouldnt pay out a dime and Stev would be in serious trouble letting a chancer onto a site who kills himself or does thiusands of pounds in damage!
I only take on subbys who have insurance! Only a fool wouldnt. Fair play i say for running in a professional maner. And if the training does cost and Steve earns from it then fair play to have got to that level where he can do that. Maybe learn from him instead of trying to run him down for offering work out to certified subbys.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2015, 07:22:11 pm »
No? but he could get the monopoly over all commercial work? Can't see that as being healthy?

That to me is like saying OCS have the monopoly on office cleaning. It just ain't going to happen.

p1w1

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2015, 07:25:55 pm »
good luck to the guy he's probably put a lot of effort into things so fair play and if people want to pay for it, its their money (I would take it off them), in regards for paying for his course I personally wouldn't pay for a certificate that has as much recognition as my 5 year olds level 2 ducklings swimming cert (also sponsored by Kellogg's )   however you could waste your money even more by spending at Brodex.