ChumBucket

Re: Split charge relay fault in new transit custom
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:11 pm »
Just run direct from the vans main battery, no need for leisure batteries, chargers, split chargers etc etc etc....

Even simples'er! ;)

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 10:27:51 pm »
Just run direct from the vans main battery, no need for leisure batteries, chargers, split chargers etc etc etc....

Even simples'er! ;)

That doesn't work for everyone.

ChumBucket

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 10:29:27 pm »

Even simples'er! ;)

It does with the right battery, a controller & a bit of common sense. it works for anyone. ;)

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 10:39:40 pm »

Even simples'er! ;)

It does with the right battery, a controller & a bit of common sense. it works for anyone. ;)

Sigh.

So you think twin electric reels, diesel heater and twin pumps will all run off one van battery?

Just ONE of my cox reels can peak at 32amp draw. So with twin reels that 64 amps.

ChumBucket

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 10:42:05 pm »

Even simples'er! ;)

Sigh.

So you think twin electric reels, diesel heater and twin pumps will all run off one van battery?

Just ONE of my cox reels can peak at 32amp draw. So with twin reels that 64 amps.

How many batteries do they run off now?

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 10:47:26 pm »

Even simples'er! ;)

Sigh.

How many batteries do they run off now?

In total the van will have 4 when it goes in for next mods. 2 came with the van.

robert mitchell

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 10:53:56 pm »
have you got a pic of your set up with the cox reels?

how much were they?
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

ChumBucket

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 10:56:47 pm »
And like...... everyone has two 32amp electric reels in their van? So if two batteries run your two man system, then one surely must be capable of running a one man system?

Ok, I'll rephrase it, it will work for anyone bar Pure H20 ;)

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 11:06:30 pm »
And like...... everyone has two 32amp electric reels in their van? So if two batteries run your two man system, then one surely must be capable of running a one man system?

Ok, I'll rephrase it, it will work for anyone bar Pure H20 ;)

Ha Like i said, wont work for everyone ;)

jonboywalton75

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 11:39:00 pm »
So do I need to run with main headlights on to trickle charge my second battery or do I need a different type of scr.

craig21t

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 06:18:30 am »
You do not have to put main beam on, side lights are ok.
Driving lights do not put much draw on the battery, hence you have to turn the side lights on.

Split charge relays trickle charge the battery as previously posted. So if you do not do much driving, you will take more out of the battery while you work than you will be putting back in while driving.

In which case you will have to top up the battery with a charger. CTEK chargers we have always found the best.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 08:18:37 am »
Cheers  Craig
presume you have a transit

How do you find yours?
Thanks for all the input on this topic,  everyone
Don't know what I would do without CIU

SeanK

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 08:55:11 am »

Even simples'er! ;)

So what happens if the van battery goes flat ? or do van batteries not suffer from power failure.
Common sense would tell you that the best way is to have a second battery that gives enough power
to complete a days work.
How you keep it charged or topped up is up to you.
But not to have a set up were if the battery does fail not only are you going to be unable to finish your workload but will
be without the power to start the van.

ChumBucket

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 12:01:03 pm »

Even simples'er! ;)

So what happens if the van battery goes flat ? or do van batteries not suffer from power failure.
Common sense would tell you that the best way is to have a second battery that gives enough power
to complete a days work.
But not to have a set up were if the battery does fail not only are you going to be unable to finish your workload but will

Never flattened a Bosch silver series 5 battery yet, not even close even with working all day. You need a controller though to prevent the pump running flat out all the time. As has been said, a second battery on a SCR is only getting sloppy seconds from the main battery anyway. It's up to you, I've been  wpf for over ten years & if it didn't work I'd know about it by now!! ;D

jonboywalton75

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 03:46:03 pm »
I don't  have a controller,  so when the pump dead ends and stops when told to by the pressure switch,  does that mean the pump is still drawing  as many amps as when it is actually pumping?

jonboywalton75

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 03:50:16 pm »

Even simples'er! ;)

to complete a days work.

If my scr hasn't been charging my pump,  my two backups are a 12 v  socket near the rear of the van with cigarette lighter adapter to run from the van battery or a spare scrap car battery,  which is what I used on Tuesday to complete my work.
I always try to be prepared  ;D

Spruce

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 06:31:22 pm »
I think you need to contact Ford technical and tell them that you think that their Smart Regenerative Charging and Battery Management System are an issue with recharging your auxillary battery on the move.

Ford will have some way round the issue as they must have considered that a Custom would tow a caravan with a leisure battery on board needing to be charged in transit. I'm sure they will be able to reprogram the ECU to solve this problem of yours.

This also could be the reason why Pure is also having issues with his aux. battery charging.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

jonboywalton75

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 12:38:59 pm »
I had it booked in today for a diagnostic check at my local ford garage  but cancelled it when I was told earlier that running with  sidelights trickle charges the auxiliary battery.
I checked this yesterday and it seems  that this is the case.
I thought I would try it next week and see how long I can work for. with the amount of driving I do.
I will be using my 66amp battery.
We'll see how it goes before I think about remapping the ecu,  but that could be an option if Ford's will do it for me.

Spruce

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 03:13:22 pm »
I had it booked in today for a diagnostic check at my local ford garage  but cancelled it when I was told earlier that running with  sidelights trickle charges the auxiliary battery.
I checked this yesterday and it seems  that this is the case.
I thought I would try it next week and see how long I can work for. with the amount of driving I do.
I will be using my 66amp battery.
We'll see how it goes before I think about remapping the ecu,  but that could be an option if Ford's will do it for me.

We would be very interested to hear the result.

I would also order a 12 digital volt meter and switch and attach it to your aux battery so you can see what's going on at an instance.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 04:36:31 pm »
I think you need to contact Ford technical and tell them that you think that their Smart Regenerative Charging and Battery Management System are an issue with recharging your auxillary battery on the move.

Ford will have some way round the issue as they must have considered that a Custom would tow a caravan with a leisure battery on board needing to be charged in transit. I'm sure they will be able to reprogram the ECU to solve this problem of yours.

This also could be the reason why Pure is also having issues with his aux. battery charging.
I don't have issues spruce with with mine. I knew about lights/stop go/kinnetic :)