DaveG

Renault Trafic sluggish?
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:13:48 pm »
Hi guys

Do any of you know what could be up with my 04 1.9 dci Trafic? 

Its really down on power below 2500 revs. It's not smoking or anything,  so hopefully not too serious!  Ive changed the air and fuel filters and it's made no difference. ..

It seems like there's a "blockage" , if that makes sense. . Once it gets to 2500 revs it goes ok??

Any ideas or experience would be gratefully received!

Cheers Dave
You can't polish a turd

Lee GLS

Re: Renault Trafic sluggish?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 12:21:28 pm »
EGR?

C o z y

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 12:44:15 pm »
If it's turbo, could be loss of vacuum through hose. Spruce is clued up on this stuff I think
No still don't understand, I must be thick

robert mitchell

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:05:45 pm »
Maf sensor is a common cause of those symptoms and easy to change .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

andi wilson

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:54:03 pm »
EGR all day long..

robertphil

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:06:26 pm »
could be a blocked exhaust   /collapsed inside  one of the boxes

Dave Willis

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 03:34:02 pm »
Take the handbrake off.

Mike #1

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 04:03:34 pm »
Depending on mileage done i always use Diesel cleaner every 5-6 months and try not to let fuel get to low on a regular basis other wise you will regularly be drawing crap out bottom of tank .

Which has caused mine kick out smoke on some start ups and not been as  responsive on acceleration and struggled with the odd start up .

I used to let my fuel get down to just before fuel light came on about 60 miles left in tank but my mate reckons i should never let it get that low and have about 80 mile or so left on computer/odometer .

Get a good Diesel cleaner whacked in and give it a good run out . Mike

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 04:52:07 pm »
could be a blocked exhaust   /collapsed inside  one of the boxes

Our experience was that a blocked rear silencer/catalytic convertor prevented the engine from revving. DaveG says it pulls ok after 2500 RPM. My suggestion is to get it onto a computer to check for fault codes.

There are a lot of non dealership garages that can do this, however the expereince to sort the problem maybe best left with the main dealers.

The best way to check the MAF flow sensor is to disconnect it. If the engine pulls better then the unit is probably faulty. If you take the unit off (its between the airfilter and the pipe to the turbo) then you will find that it will have two senors one behind the other. Each sensor has two posts with a suspended wire element across it. If one of these wires is broken/missing then this is your fault. Careful with them as they are very delicate and break easily.

A stuck EGR valve is a possibility, but they also tend to stick open. If the valve is stuck in the open position, it will introduce too much 'dead' exhaust air into the mixture which prevents the engine from revving. (Dead because the exhaust gas has had the oxygen in it burned on the previous power stroke). Any EGR valve stuck in the closed position will tend to cause the engine to perform better, but the emissions will be to pot. A split vacuum pipe or diaphram on the valve will cause it to remain shut. Performance enthusiasts like to fit a blanking plate under the egr valve to improve performance. In effect a blanking plate would remove the egr as it prevents it from working.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

DaveG

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 06:24:41 pm »
Thanks very much for all your replies, it really is appreciated.

I cleaned the EGR valve out a month or so ago and it didn't make any difference  >:( .

Today, I disconnected the connector that goes onto the MAF sensor (at the back of the air filter box) and it wouldn't even run...

Spruce, if I blank off the EGR, what would I do with the wiring? I've seen a tutorial online http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-remove-clean-or-bypass-an-egr-valve-from-a-trafic-vivaro-primastar-diesel-van so that maybe an option...

Also, looking at a couple of forums, there is a thing called a boost pressure solenoid, that has a couple of tubes going to it that could be blocked..??? http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=62080

Anyway, it failed the Mot today on a wheel bearing  ::)roll so once that's fixed, I'll be back on it!

Thanks again boys

Dave

You can't polish a turd

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 08:01:58 pm »
Thanks very much for all your replies, it really is appreciated.

I cleaned the EGR valve out a month or so ago and it didn't make any difference  >:( .

Today, I disconnected the connector that goes onto the MAF sensor (at the back of the air filter box) and it wouldn't even run...

Spruce, if I blank off the EGR, what would I do with the wiring? I've seen a tutorial online http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-remove-clean-or-bypass-an-egr-valve-from-a-trafic-vivaro-primastar-diesel-van so that maybe an option...

Also, looking at a couple of forums, there is a thing called a boost pressure solenoid, that has a couple of tubes going to it that could be blocked..??? http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=62080

Anyway, it failed the Mot today on a wheel bearing  ::)roll so once that's fixed, I'll be back on it!

Thanks again boys

Dave

I see that they use a different method to 'blank' or stop the EGR valve from working.

He wasn't very clear about the wiring but in the comments from the readers it is mentioned that the wiring goes back as before. The ECU will be fooled into thinking that everything is working correctly. Apart from that the instructions seem quite detailed and straight forward to follow.

The wiring was one of the issues when people removed the EGR valve completely. The ECU recognised the problem and flashed the engine management warning light up. It was annoying but drivers soon got used to it if they thought about the benefits. However, if the management light is on when the van is MOTed then its a fail. You can't take the bulb out either - inspectors are looking at the correct sequence of lit lights going out.

One some vehicles it flagged the limp home mode.

On the hdi engines it is just a flat plate which blanks the EGR valve at the manifold. As there is no component past the flange, that blanking plate works fine with 1 new gasket. Again wiring is left connected to the valve.

Despite the comments, the EGR valve has nothing to do with warming the engine up quicker. It was only introduced by the manufacturers to reduce NOx. Diesel emissions aren't tested at MOT although they do a smoke test which is a different thing. The EU made it the motor manufacturers responsibility to make sure each new vehicle achieves the latest emission standards. Blanking the EGR valve off actually brings the engine temperature up quicker as the combustion intake is now 'pure' and not contaminated.

Just always be living with the thought that there is every possibility that diesel emissions could be introduced into the MOT test as it is for petrol engines so you will have to return the EGR valve back to its original state.

Of course there is nothing stopping you changing it back after the MOT test.

Added:

If you do blank the EGR valve then you could leave yourself open, as messing with emissions is an offense. The new stance taken by the DVSA (replacing VOSA and DSA) with regard to DPF filters is going to set a precedent for cataylitic convertor removal etc. DPF inspection is part of the MOT test from Feb 2014.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

DaveG

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 08:18:20 pm »
Great reply as usual Spruce, thanks.

I think I'll have the MAF out when it's back from Mot and give it a clean. This is looking favourite (and easy) at the moment.

It's just strange that you don't notice these things getting worse until they get so bad it's embarrassing when your'e pulling away from the lights!

It's been a brilliant van up until now, so I'll let it off (famous last words)!  ;D

Cheers Dave

You can't polish a turd

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 08:35:39 pm »
Great reply as usual Spruce, thanks.

I think I'll have the MAF out when it's back from Mot and give it a clean. This is looking favourite (and easy) at the moment.

It's just strange that you don't notice these things getting worse until they get so bad it's embarrassing when your'e pulling away from the lights!

It's been a brilliant van up until now, so I'll let it off (famous last words)!  ;D

Cheers Dave

I wouldn't stick anything (ie; brushes) into the MAF sensor to clean it. Get a special cleaner spray or something similar from your local motor factors/Halfords and spray it in. Touching those element wires which are very fine/thin will break them.

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 08:47:59 pm »
Dave
I've just seen this, but you've probably seen it before.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-change-the-mass-airflow-sensor-MAF-on-a-Trafic-Vivaro-Primastar-van

I also see he doesn't recommend carb cleaner to clean the sensors. Not sure why but I have ammended my post as I didn't know you can buy a special cleaner just to clean the sensors.

I can understand why you mustn't use WD40. ;D

ants

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 08:57:51 pm »
Mine had a similar problem before it broke down completley.turned out to be the high pressure diesel pump,£650 to repair it. :'(

DaveG

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »
Dave

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-change-the-mass-airflow-sensor-MAF-on-a-Trafic-Vivaro-Primastar-van

I also see he doesn't recommend carb cleaner to clean the sensors. Not sure why but I have ammended my post as I didn't know you can buy a special cleaner just to clean the sensors.

Hi Spruce,

Yes I've seen that ..that's what inspired me to try it lol
You can't polish a turd

DaveG

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:54 pm »
Mine had a similar problem before it broke down completley.turned out to be the high pressure diesel pump,£650 to repair it. :'(

:o Let's hope not ants!
You can't polish a turd

robert mitchell

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 10:50:30 pm »
Dave

you need to use electrical contact cleaner because it leaves no residue when it evaporates.

They sell it in maplins.

I had the same problem on my last van and i cleaned the sensor , worked a treat afterwards but after about 4/5 months the symptoms came back so had to just change the sensor , very easy to do and cost me £48 for the part .

DaveG

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 07:09:37 am »
Thanks for that Robert, I was wondering where to get that from. I've got a Maplins just down the road  ;)
Cheers
You can't polish a turd

robert mitchell

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 08:23:09 am »
no probs  :)

DaveG

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 03:05:29 pm »
Take the handbrake off.

;D Just seen this David, you plonker!
You can't polish a turd

Dave Willis

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 04:59:36 pm »
 ;D

the other thing I thought it might be .............. Christmas pudding!

DaveG

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 06:57:11 pm »
Well I am a bat fastard!

*Update*

Talking to my mechanic friend today and he is going to put it on his mates diagnostic machine tomorrow  ;D

He road tested it today and he's 99% sure it's the MAF sensor.

Thanks boys
You can't polish a turd

robert mitchell

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 07:57:52 pm »
Well I am a bat fastard!

*Update*

Talking to my mechanic friend today and he is going to put it on his mates diagnostic machine tomorrow  ;D

He road tested it today and he's 99% sure it's the MAF sensor.

Thanks boys

Told ya  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Hope you get it sorted mate

Dave Willis

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 08:02:08 pm »
interesting - wife has a Peugeot 308 that's got the mini cooper engine in it. It's going back to the garage this week - it's very flat at low revs and missfires on tick over. Sounds a similar thing.

robert mitchell

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »
It's a fairly common thing on most modern vehicles .

DaveG

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 05:33:38 pm »
Sorted  ;D ;D ;D

It was the MAF sensor

Thanks for the suggestions boys

Dave
You can't polish a turd

Dave Willis

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 06:08:54 pm »
Expensive?

DaveG

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 06:20:43 pm »
£76 Dave.

Talking to the diagnostic guy, he said it's a very common problem on modern engines and is definitely worth changing when "rough problems" comes up.
You can't polish a turd

Dave Willis

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »
That doesn't sound too bad at all. I thought it would be closer to £200 with the labour and all that. Good job Garages don't have an hourly rate as high as a CIU member.

robert mitchell

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 08:17:43 pm »
Changing one is usually a ten min job , easy to do yourself on most cars or vans

DaveG

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 08:38:13 pm »
That doesn't sound too bad at all. I thought it would be closer to £200 with the labour and all that. Good job Garages don't have an hourly rate as high as a CIU member.

;D  ;D ;D

£76 for the part and my mate fitted it for a drink

You can't polish a turd