she777

Which carpet cleaning machine should I buy New
« on: August 24, 2006, 08:12:07 am »
i have just started a cleaning business which incorprates carpet cleaning. i have bought a numatic CT4 cleaner which up to now i have used once and results were ok. i was planning to buy a more expensive one but was a little strapped for cash. what do you guys think of the numatics and should i be looking for a better machine when i start earning.

Mike_Boxall

Re: machine advice for a newie
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:58:33 am »
Hi

This question crops up time and again and it usually gets the same response
It's a bit like saying I want to buy a new car which one is best -you'll get loads of replies that contradict each other.

Numatic machines are OK for smaller areas and infrequent use but are not as good as the Prochem range for professional carpet cleaners.

For speed, I've copied a a reply I did to someone else who asked a similar question:

Lots of people start carpet cleaning because they think it's an easy way to make lots of money. It's not. Most people rush into it and just don't make it more than 6 months.

There are several different kinds of carpet cleaning companies out there. They range all the way from the cheap and cheerful cowboy right through to the really professional ones that do a really good job and earn really good money.

Equally, there are many manufacturers of carpet cleaning equipment out there as well. Not only are there are hot water extraction systems, various bonnet mopping systems and  dry powder systems but the choice within each of these can also be bewildering.

Many people start carpet cleaning like you have. They buy a cheaper machine and go out and learn by trial and error. In truth, on most carpets you can use most machines with most chemicals. You don't have to be licensed, trained or a member of any trade association - in fact, anyone can start a carpet cleaning business. As a supplier, I've seen dozens of people start up. Some have done well and others haven't.

There are many, many machines out there to consider and asking several thousand forum members which is is best is likely to confuse you even more. You could argue that we're as biased as anyone else because we're Prochem distributors but we choose to supply Prochem because:

They have a good range of all types of equipment
They offer excellent training
The machines represent good value for money
They are the market leaders

That's not to say other equipment isn't worth considering but my advice to you is:

Don't buy any equipment yet!
Give us a call on 0800 9154154 and book yourself on a Prochem 1 - day carpet cleaning course. It'll cost you £95 + vat plus your travel expenses. The course covers both practical and theoretical carpet cleaning using various different systems and techniques.

Once you've got the basics you can then look at other systems with a bit more understanding of the differences between them. There's no obligation but if you buy Prochem equipment you'll get the cost of the training back. Anyone else here who's done the Prochem course will agree it'll probably be the best £95 you'll spend even if you own other makes of equipment!

Once you've got the equipment sorted then is the time to look at joining the NCCA and doing some of their more theoretical courses. You'll find there's loads of marketing help on here and some really helpful people.

If you plan to make a success of carpet cleaning then it's worth putting some time into it at this point before you rush in and buy anything from anyone!

However you do it - good luck!

Mike Boxall

she777

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:55:58 pm »
hi mike
thanks for the advice, from what you are saying it looks as though my numatic will be ok for now. the business ido you know of  have started is mainly domestic cleaning some of which do require carpet cleaning but most dont.
do u know of anywhere in the northwest that does training on upholstery cleaning.
thanks
sheena

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 03:39:22 pm »
Hi
I would just like to back up what mike was saying regarding prochem, i have done both the carpet & upholstery course and while there is a lot to take in it really stands you in good stead for the future.

Rob.

phil jones

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 02:28:16 pm »
One day carpet (26/09/06) & one day upholstery (27/09/06) training courses in West Midlands.

she777

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 09:02:46 am »
thanks mike, will look into that one
sheena