james roffey

Re: Carpet shrinkage
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 11:02:47 am »
James you are talking about tufted carpets with a pile. The wool absorbs a lot of the moisture, preventing it running down into the backing. On Polyprop (plastic) carpets such as Belgian Wiltons the water goes straight down into the backing if you are not careful, which can cause shrinkage.
The carpet in question here is a flatweave. These are a completetly different kettle of fish as there is no pile as such to form a barrier. When you wet extract them the whole carpet becomes wet. If there are constituents in that carpet which are prone to shrinkage then you can have a problem. Unfortunately it isn't always possible to tell which ones are problematic.

Thanks John, im wondering how i have missed this particular issue when i think shrinkage its Polyprops i do not remember flatweaves being mentioned, looking at the pictures though it does look very flat indeed,do we know what it is made of,  im off to the carpet shop to have alook at some, ps it was recommended using Host or Envirodri but if it shrunk from prespay alone. then dont forget the sponges are wet as well i use envirodri and the carpet is definately damp after

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 11:29:45 am »
James

You can clean these carpets with Host/Envirodri/Duo sponges, but the results will be limited and the customers expectations should not be raised.

Steve

Karl Wildey

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2010, 11:35:02 am »
as mentioned you need to wait to carpet to dry, chances are if the carpet was 12 foot long, shrunk an inch when wet it will relax back to 12 foot long and just needs a fitter to remind it.

Client can not replace carpets until you have been given the chance to correct the problem, no matter who she is, as above it was 12 foot long as long and it ends back at 12 foot long what can she complain about...ok hassle you caused, so maybe as goodwill you don't charge for the cleaning.

I wet cleaned this carpet myself and it started to shrink halfway through the cleaning, not enough to pull off the grippers but enough to switch to host machine. You can not wet clean these carpets too risky.

On a postive side, look at all the experience you have given other froum members with you mistake and photos. Keep us posted, fingers crossed your fitter gets it back in place

Paul Simpson

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 02:34:41 pm »
Agree with Karl, although it doesn't sort out your situation or won't make you feel any better these sort of posts can be invaluable to other cleaners to make sure they know what they are cleaning and avoid the same mistake.

Personally I do feel for you as I've had a couple of problem customers recently albeit not through anything I've done wrong and it hangs over you until dealt with fully.

She is obviously out to get the maximum from you/insurance, but deal with it in a professional manner and know your rights, as others have said, she has to let you try and sort out the problem first.

It will good experience points when it is dealt with in both cleaning & customer service terms.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 04:19:53 pm »
From that website, it looks like this one to me, same as what I came across. No wonder they tend to shrink.
http://www.crucial-trading.com/en/Floorcovering_Details.aspx?rid=243
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2010, 04:34:31 pm »
Where`s the value in this carpet? Now it`s £68 per square metre.
In my experience it is the better qualities that give us the most
Problems,but there are limits !

Lewis  Doubtfire
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

Helen

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2010, 04:34:57 pm »
£68 sq/m and it literally cannot be cleaned properly.
Just ordered 5 sample pieces off there for playing around with

stevehinnis

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2010, 07:55:01 pm »
Dont panic.
A good carpet fitter will stretch that back,or fit a wider bar.Its not exactly a huge amount of shrinkage.If for some reason they cant just put it in the hands of your insurance company,dont say another word to your clients, even if they keep phoning you,and it will sort itself out.Then just forget about it and carry on doing the good job you do.Thats why you pay insurance,so they can sort it out for you.Im talking from experience.
Steve.

murky

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 08:03:36 am »
Just picked up on this item, but what a truly brilliant article, people moan on here sometimes about who said what to who but this shows the depth of experience there is out there to anyone who gets into a mess doing what we do.

Luckily over the years I've been doing this, all the shrinkers  were down to flooded carpets and not me.

But what we did in a situation like this was to make sure the carpet was dry, double gripper the room, (you get more surface grip)and then fit the doorway first with a wide bar if it needs it, and latex the back of the carpet and the gripper/bar in the doorway, let it go off, so it is dry and fit it then, nothing will move 2 dry latexed surfaces and then fit the rest of the room, with a power stretcher if you can,not a knee kicker.

This was shown to me by an old experienced fitter and it allways worked, the reason to do the door first is because 'she' will allways see that area when they walk through and not the rest of the room with the furniture in.

Why a power stretcher?  They stretch all the carpet along the lenghth  , but a knee kicker only stretches the 2 or 3 feet behind it.   Its a 2 man job you will probably only find 1 from a commercial type fitter as they use them in pubs, hotels etc etc.

Good luck with it and again what a brilliant item.

Murky

james roffey

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 04:34:31 pm »
I have found on the Crucial site a local stockist of these carpets they all seem to be made of materials that will shrink and are very expensive, im off to have a look at them for future reference, went to look at end of tenancy today and the pattern was very similar to the one that shrunk oh sh.. i thought :o
but it was fine, it must be distressing for anyone who encounters this sort of thing but the flip side is the forum provides a system to help him and us to hopefuly avoid in the future i hope it is resolved amicably.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 08:13:04 pm »
Just to add about Host/Envirodry cleaning. I wouldn'tt  risk cleaning this type of carpet with any brush system, chances are it would end up looking somewhat fuzzy.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

robert meldrum

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2010, 11:35:37 pm »
Think this is a poorly fitted carpet..............I've HWE'd one for the past 5 years with no problem.

Karl Wildey

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2010, 08:56:22 am »
Dave Lee.
Host brushes come in different grades, black for hard wearing carpets, white for not so hard, and gold for soft carpets, like the one in this article or chinese rugs, so yes you can host clean with the right brushes.

Robert.
No way, this carpet will shrink if fitted as a common carpet. Maybe if double gripped, or glued to underlay you may get away with hwe, but I would not hwe as standard

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2010, 09:03:41 am »
Glynn

while she is away, try to put a carpet drier under the carpet, with the air pressure , making the carpet "balloon", this will stretch the carpet on its own and then should go back down with very little stretching needed.

Just a thought

Regards

Daryl

GlynE

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2010, 09:50:07 am »
I totally agree with Murky's comments about the experience that everyone is sharing & the advice & support is tremendous. Unfortunately 2 carpet fitters (inc one who fitted the carpet)went out yesterday & they have both agreed that the carpets need replacing. They are also unable to use 1 carpet from another room in a smaller one because the sizes of the rooms are pretty much all the same size within a few mm. So it is a call to the insurance company this morning for the necessary forms. As you say, put it down to experience & learn from it. Thank you everyone. Have a good day. Glynis xx

clinton

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2010, 02:56:01 pm »
Hi glyn hope you sort it soon for yourself and your clients.

Think its a post that is a warning to us all and not to get too complacent down the line.

cheers and good luck :)

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010, 04:59:04 pm »
Were these fitters sent by you or her? Was you around at the time? Did they try to rectify it?  Did they use a power stretcher?
I'm wondering if they were influenced by her?  ???

please don't give in so easy, you only have to put them back to their original condition.

Once you go down the insurance route even if they get it re-streched you will still have to pay £250excess.

Only trying to help

Paul
"So basically its a big vax!"

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2010, 05:15:23 pm »
Paul,

thats what i was thinking

Regards

Daryl

Dave_Lee

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 05:32:54 pm »
£250 excess? Most, like mine, the excess is £500.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

GlynE

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 05:47:30 pm »
There were 2 fitters, one requested by client & one by ourselves - although we found out after booking that the latter fitter actually supplied & fitted carpets. They have just reported back their findings. Our excess is only £100, but only pays up to a max of £2000 on each claim. What concerns me more is she will insist that we pay balance over & above £2k & even more that she will try & claim for lost revenue because of having to turn guests away until matter is settled as she needs to safeguard her reputation for highest possible service. That could cost us a fortune.....