Mike Halliday

How many other carpet cleaners in your area
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »
....Carpet cleaning companies within 10 miles of you?

Just found 2 more within 3 miles of me....making 14 competing companies
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

wayne zabel

Re: How many other .....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 05:54:03 pm »
only 14 within 10 miles..........Luxury,I have far more than that but not all actively market themselves and are only seen on the free listings of web directory sites.

I often wonder how they get work,I suppose they are"beer money"cleaners

Fran84

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:04:26 pm »
Same as Steve.

I would guess more than that though ;D

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 07:02:32 pm »
Is this a how many are actually within 10 miles or how many work/advertise within the 10 miles.
I think we have about 10 actually in the area but possibly 18-20 who claim to be in the area with their false phone numbers and false addresses.

derek west

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 07:07:53 pm »

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 07:13:36 pm »
Don't know - don't care

what he said.

That sound full of bravado,  But  is it sensible?

I thinks it important to be aware of other companies,  you don't have to let them effect your business but to not care is in my opinion  not sensible.

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:20:36 pm »
If you dig deep you'll be surprised how many people clean carpets in you region. When we first set up the supply business we did a mail shot to let people know we were here. We concentrated in the area between Berwick upon Tweed and Teeside.
We ended up with over 150 on our database. Apart from Tyneside and Teeside most of this area is rural. Oh and the inbreds from Wearside ;D

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »
Not bravado Mike.

I'm a one-man owner/operator. There are only so many hours a day and only so many days per week that I can physically work. I have a reasonable sized database of clients, some of whom are very wealthy.

I know my market and I rarely get into a competitive pricing situation.

The cheaper operators in my area are welcome to the market that they target, I'm not interested in it.

Even if another carpet cleaner moved in next door to me, I doubt it would have an effect on my business.

If you choose to deal with all and sundry then maybe you have to worry out about local competition - I don't.

Adrian Marsh

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 07:33:07 pm »
Not bravado Mike.

I'm a one-man owner/operator. There are only so many hours a day and only so many days per week that I can physically work. I have a reasonable sized database of clients, some of whom are very wealthy.

I know my market and I rarely get into a competitive pricing situation.

The cheaper operators in my area are welcome to the market that they target, I'm not interested in it.

Even if another carpet cleaner moved in next door to me, I doubt it would have an effect on my business.

If you choose to deal with all and sundry then maybe you have to worry out about local competition - I don't.

Couldn't agree more. Spending time worrying about the competition is time spent away from your own business. Look after your clients and they'll look after you.

Blacky

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 07:33:35 pm »
Don't know - don't care

what he said.

I thinks it important to be aware of other companies,  you don't have to let them effect your business but to not care is in my opinion  not sensible.

Yeah but why worry what the scruffy, BO smelling, dodgy pedo looking, scumy competition get upto.
My adverts and marketing costs over £1400 per month and I’m delighted to run a modest loss on this thanks to a massively huge database of happy commercial and domestic customers. I like to starve out my competition. I’ll be only happy when I see them hungry and homeless.

derek west

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 07:39:48 pm »
Don't know - don't care

what he said.

if you don't let them effect your business then why would you need to care?
what effect would being aware have on your business?

Warren Aldridge

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 07:46:09 pm »
100's

Did a search and the map was red, could hardly see the street layout
 ;) ;) ;)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 08:18:16 pm »
Derek unless all you compete on Is price then knowing your  compition  is helpfull,

An example is a local company to me who I often quote against, I know he works alone, I always mention that I work with my son so will happily move and replace all the furniture...... He won't. although I am slightly more expensive I usually get the job

Another example is another hull company. they are a great company and a lovely couple own It, but I  know they have a big office with staff, I mention to customers that this office and all their staff needs to be paid for, and who really foots the bill? the customer.... We work from home so can offer a more competitive price

Knowing other companies weakness is a valuable tool when quoting against them

John Kelly

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 08:24:36 pm »
Sorry that figure was nearer 250 not 150 ::)

Paul Moss

derek west

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 08:37:39 pm »
Derek unless all you compete on Is price then knowing your  compition  is helpfull,

An example is a local company to me who I often quote against, I know he works alone, I always mention that I work with my son so will happily move and replace all the furniture...... He won't. although I am slightly more expensive I usually get the job

Another example is another hull company. they are a great company and a lovely couple own It, but I  know they have a big office with staff, I mention to customers that this office and all their staff needs to be paid for, and who really foots the bill? the customer.... We work from home so can offer a more competitive price

still don't get it, i offer the best service i can and i tell all my customers that. i can't be any better until i get better through trying harder, competitors don't make me better, this forum and the guys like yourself and others make me better, training makes me better, trial and error makes me better, i will be marketing the cwap out of my business in 2013, i won't be able to market any more, what my "so called" competitors do has no bearing on me doing the best i can for my business. as long as your doing your utmost best then your competitors have no bearing on your business. thats just my opinion and therefore i won't be keeping an eye on or caring how many competitors i have round here. obviously i'm not being sensible but hey, we all ready know that ;D

Adrian Marsh

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 08:42:00 pm »

I see where you're coming from Mike. We need to sell our services based on what the competition is doing rather than what we can do, yes?

Sorry, I'll stick to selling what I know best........me ::)

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 08:46:00 pm »
Who Cares! BUT i was at a Marketing meeting this morning and AN Other carpet cleaner was there! He stood up and BLAH BLAH ive got a TM dont need Customers water BLAH BLAH They Left me to last :)

I stood up and said Am booked fully before xmas looking Nationwide commercial work for the New year!

Funny he Never came over at the end to say HI, Just Buggered off straight away, as I got questioned about a few leads.

God loves em TRYER Me Am A DOer

Funny they said He was Cheaper than me too....

Bless his Auld Cotton Sox
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

Adrian Marsh

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 08:47:43 pm »
Actually just been on the TACCA site and, according to that info, there aren't any other cc's within ten miles. The nearest is 13.7 miles away. Some tin pot company called Affordable Cleaners......whoever the hell they are :D