james roffey

Crazy Prices
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:00 am »
I quoted recently for a very large domestic, it was an amazing house with over 1900 sq ft of carpets only the bedrooms as he had stone flooring downstairs.
The carpet was a wool berber covered in stains like makeup in the kids rooms and urine in other areas plus the rooms were very cluttered and he wanted every inch cleaned i charge 0.35 per ft so it came in at over £600 i was not going to discount much as it involved a lot of work, when i told him the price he said that he had the same area done last year for about £140   :o  he then went on to question me about my profit margins etc and how i could justify such a high price.
I asked him who it was and he gave me the name of a local guy who i know and he uses a truckmount, i always thought that the point of a truckmount was to still charge the same or more but get the work done quicker, not charge less then have to do four times the work.
Isn't it weird how some customers will pay your prices and some wont, i think i have a good conversion rate but this guy actually said i am tight for cash at the moment ! this house he had designed and had it built had every conceivable luxury, the upstairs landing was over 60 ft.
My wife said i should have told him he needs to downscale if he cant afford to have his carpets cleaned ;D

PS The guy who quoted £140 does not frequent this forum.

Helen

Re: crazy prices
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:07:22 am »
*Maybe the custie didn't quite tell the truth about the £140
*Maybe the other carpet cleaner didn't go and see it before he quoted and felt he had to honour a price given over the phone.
*Maybe there wasn't all the mess over the carpets last year

None of his business what your profit margins are....cheeky so & so :)

Your wife is right ;D.....always ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:01 am »
£600 for that size of job is a bit stiff, IMO, that's £3.15ppm, but there again £140 is way too little.

Simon

david hutchieson

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:27:28 am »
Everybody gets this.

Sometimes the ones who haggle from the start end up being the biggest pains. They want every stain out whether you tell them it is impossible or not.

If you need the money, drop the price. If you don“t, RUN!

I had one last year just like him. 6 months later they phoned up and asked me to come in because the cheapo didn“t do it to their satisfaction.

Just remember to stick to your guns as much as you can. There is always someone out there who will do it cheaper. The most important thing is not to p off a potential customer by telling him he is stupid by going with the cheaper price. Wish him well and say you are sure the other company will do a good job. It is amazing how many come back to you the next time as they see you are professional.

Good luck

Billy Russell

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:42:51 am »
The only thing that springs out to me is why didn't they ask him back this year???? hhhhhhhmmmmmmm  ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:01:50 am »
Hi guys

It is amazing that he can get someone to TM clean his carpets for about 65p a m2 and he stll wants it cheaper.

Jim, he sounds like more hassle than he's worth, glad he didn't ring me!

Cheers

Doug

Paul Simpson

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:55:04 am »
Probably a bit higher than I would have charged but like Billy & Doug have said does he really believe he is going to get it cheaper, if not then why not get them back. Unless he wasn't happy with the work they did.

In the last few months I've had 2 high end customers I've priced for which sound similar to yours, same price area for both, got one but not the other.
You will always get some not willing to pay no matter how much money they appear to have.

mathewl

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »
Yeah man its bit too much. one must do the survey on different cleaners before hiring.   

cozy

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 01:03:06 pm »
Why didn't you explain to the customer about Groupon?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

This could be happening alot more in future, wait untill these people hear about getting 65% off a stupid price  ;D ;D ;D

A "No brainer" as someone called it earlier.

When customers are cheeky enough to want to discuss your margins, it's time to start walking. Also, people with money and nice houses/cars etc, tend to always plead poverty.  ;) I'd stick to your price.

jasonl

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 01:41:16 pm »
On groupon this customer would have paid   £28 for the first 20m2 , then £2.50 there after making  the job around £400   or so  ,  Groupon would have received 14 quid of this , the customer would have known in advance the cost,as it is made very clear in the offer  , so no selling would have been involved .

But Groupon is bait and switch and a waste of time so no one need know that.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

cozy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 01:50:33 pm »
Well knock yaself out mate. ;D what's 200 quid? Lose more than that running for the bus. ;D

james roffey

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 02:05:54 pm »
I was not at all sorry to lose that particular job, i agree the price i was charging was high but it was one of those sort of jobs that was going to be a pig to do all the spotting  etc and clutter, on these i price it at what it is worth to put up with the hassle,besides i was not in the mood to discount when he got shirty i know we get undercut all the time but this was by such a huge amount and by a guy using a truckmount

Helen

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 02:16:03 pm »
But Groupon is bait and switch and a waste of time so no one need know that.

As your offer reads Jason it is not bait and switch as it clearly states the details and if people choose to not see the details then that is there fault.

Some offers are not as clear as yours and can be seen as bait and switch and some apparently are bait and switch.

I hope this marketing is as fruitfull for you as you want it to be. :)

cozy

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 02:17:37 pm »
For what it's worth James, the same happens in other trades too. In window cleaning, there is a tendency to charge less when using Water Fed Pole because the work is easier than traditional window cleaning with a ladder. So guys invest in a WFP set up for a couple of thousand and the customer get half the price lopped off their price. Doesn't make sense.

Perhaps van mount makes some guys nervous and they worry about not getting the work in to cover the costs, so charge low prices.

Some people work longer and harder than others for the same result. If you know what I mean?

clinton

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 02:32:03 pm »
Dont think you lost out much james spec with that big landing..

As you said it would have been a messy job with all the clutter and then the spots n stains to treat too and whatever was left in the previous clean too..

derek west

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 03:24:43 pm »
how long would it of taken you jim?

wynne jones

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 03:40:48 pm »
I bet he runs a company and treats all his staff like poo for an ego boost. He's not worried about the price, he just wants to let you know how smart he is. Not!

Had you done the job, you will have regretted it even more - at almost any price.

Find nice custies and hang on to them.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

garry22

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 03:46:47 pm »
I did a quote for an expensive house on a private estate a couple of months ago.

The man said, "We've just bought this house, so we are stone broke now. Can you give us your best price?"

I quoted a couple of quid a square metre because it was empty and large.

When arrived to do the job, his wife turned out to be an old friend from school who I had not seen for years. She said he always pleaded poverty to get the best deal (not cocky or cheeky. More a kind of ... "can you help me out here?" approach).

Apparently, he would have gone higher and to be honest, I could have gone lower and still made money.

M.Acorn

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 04:33:05 pm »
You just have to find a balance really,the people who I clean for in the surrounding villages,all get a decent discount (My dad took me out for a meal on Sat eve,he said he is hearing a lot of good feedback about me  ;D ).
The thing about being self employed is it's your choice,I have quoted unreasonably high on the jobs I didn't really want,and slightly lower on the ones I know are going to be easy and hassle free.
But that sounded like one of the ones I would have walked from,I am pretty good at sussing people out,and can read them like an open book,so it's easy for me to spot a liar.
I know there are people round near me that charge a lot more,there are also people who charge a lot less,I have been called in to rectify Mr cheapy le cheaps work in the past,and the tenant has ended up having to pay twice.
So many factors involved though
What goes around comes around

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:32:06 pm »
Wonder what he would have said if you were to quote £200? I'm not suggesting you should but I smell a rat and I bet he would have chomped your arm off!

If you have enough work on then stick to your original quote if he doesn't want it you don't want him as he would be holding you up making real money elsewhere, if you have no work on then snatch his hand off!!

Not sure what I would have charged as I haven't seen it and if it's as bad as you say £600 may be the true price of a good job.

Shaun