Nick Attwood

Re: fire and flood
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 10:12:41 pm »
As i was saying fitz ;D

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 10:15:50 pm »
they have already stared!!! i've noticed a large increase in chemdrys taking up places in google adwords for resadential jobs!

Three in my area are constantly there and have been for the last 10 months or so.

derek west

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 10:16:59 pm »
good on ya for going it alone nick and i'm sure you'll be a very good contributer on this forum, lets hope you don't scare easy and have a thick skin. ;D

the thing is, i'm not doing the course to get fire and flood work, i want to do it cos like i  said, knowledge breeds confidence. if i get any work from it then its a bonus and theres also right place right time scenario.

while your there, (and i'm hoping to learn more on this bit on the course) but what happens if the company thats flooded call me before there insurance? what rights have i to take on the job? especially if i suck out all the water a couple of hours after the flood.

for instance, i was contacted by specsavers as they had a bad flood in there shop. if i'd of gone to get the water out, while they were contactinmg there insurance company, i would still need paying for my services, what would happen next, would the insurance pay for my services but tell me to stop or would they kick me off the job and not pay leaving the shop to pay my bill or would they talk to me and say carry on, your there now so you may as well get on with it.
or something completely different?

fitz
not at there prices me young, i don't worry bout chemdry and certainly don't worry bout rainbow. did a job for the motherinlaw of our local rainbow operative, she said "i aint paying his prices, even with a discount" ;D

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 10:25:11 pm »
they have already stared!!! i've noticed a large increase in chemdrys taking up places in google adwords for resadential jobs!

Three in my area are constanly there and have been for the last 10 months or so.

???  ;D ur a superstar

Derek Dave T (chemdry) and Paul S (Rainbow) have been running a business/businesses for 20 years plus in our area, they are both on the ball, they will always make money and run a profitable business even without any insurance work.

Maybe Paul S doesnt get on with his mum in law  ;D ;D 

Nick Attwood

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 10:29:04 pm »
d, you will always need to highlight in that situation that you are working for the client who called and they are responsible for your bill. As for the insurance coy's every time it could be different it all depends on the call handler.

Always highlight your working for the client and they pay you its there duty to claw the amount bac from the insurer.

derek west

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 10:31:41 pm »

Three in my area are constanly there and have been for the last 10 months or so.

???  ;D ur a superstar

Derek Dave T (chemdry) and Paul S (Rainbow) have been running a business/businesses for 20 years plus in our area, they are both on the ball, they will always make money and run a profitable business even without any insurance work.  

but they won't effect me paul. think dave's been going for 30 years aint he? 11 kids now :o

cheers nick

Nick Attwood

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 10:32:15 pm »
 d, also meant to say larger companys lie specsavers are unlikely to call the insurance company unless it is a large claim due to the size of there excess. Most of these properties are handled by a facilities management company.

derek west

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2010, 10:39:48 pm »
interesting.

one job will get me my course fee back so its a no brainer really. come on guys, must be a few out there who fancies a bit of the old grey matter enhancing.

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2010, 10:40:35 pm »
Yea Dave T has always been busy  ;D, ive got alot of respect for him  :P doesnt affect me either, i make myself as busy as I need to be.

They both have the contacts and experience in the insurance work.  

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 10:44:36 pm »

???  ;D ur a superstar

I was making reference to fitz2kleen post, I should of quoted my bad. I forgot how many people on here have sour attitudes..

I am indeed paul! your misus told me!  :-* toodaloo  ;D

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 10:59:32 pm »

???  ;D ur a superstar

I was making reference to fitz2kleen post, I should of quoted my bad. I forgot how many people on here have sour attitudes..

I am indeed paul! your misus told me!  :-* toodaloo  ;D

:-* :-* I love you Tony ur ace  :P type a bit slower eh

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 11:06:27 pm »
D
I did the Dri-Eaze course about 10 years ago. Very good but quite technical and not a lot hands on. I also didn't take the exam in order to be certified. I wanted the knowledge-I am not interested in being certificated.

the reason being that I am not a 24/7 business and as such you can't really book a flood in for "I'll be with you next Friday madam" as it needs to be dealt with NOW. I'll pick and choose which floods I want to get involved in.

Because I have a full diary I'm never going to be able to offer that level of response. That said, there can be occasions, or for your more important clients, where you will re-arrange your diary to deal with a flood; and then you will need to know what you are doing. Hence the training.

With regard to insurance companies,as has been previoiusly said, policyholders have a duty to minimise damage and therefore once you are on site it's a bit like the old truism "possession is 9/10ths of the law" So if you are on site you can to a great extent control the situation and "yes" you will be paid for your work.

That said, there are many householders who are under-insured and therfore you need to make sure you will be paid before you commit to sorting the problem either by checking with the insurance company or ensuring the householder has the where-with-all to pay you.

In conclusion, I find them problamatic-you need a certain level of equipment; it knackers you diary and your home life but for a one-man band it can still be sufficiently profitable to justify doing the courses so you know what you are doing and don't leave yourself open to being sued for not doing a proper job.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Jim_77

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 12:34:32 am »
Derek all I can say is do your market research VERY carefully before even spending £1 on fire & flood training!

In this thread, quite a few good arguments have already been made against an independent trader going after the work.

1) The market has shrunk in recent years, particularly on minor flood work (builders been given the work even though they make an ar$e of it).  This means the same number of companies going for less work makes the market much more competitive and has driven prices down to peanuts.

2) Insurance companies DO NOT want to scrat around for local guys in every corner of the land.  They want a "one stop shop" i.e. a national franchise.  One point of contact, one pricing structure, and a nationally agreed level of service which is the same whether their end customers are in Cornwall, Hull or Inverness.  The feedback of management info (MI) is critical so they need it all coming form the same source, i.e. the work done for them rather then them spending ££ on paying their own staff countless man hours rounding up independent companies all over the place.

3) The out of hours element of the work stinks sometimes.

4) You need to have a small army of staff on hand at a moments notice but you also need to not have to pay them for the 95% of the time because you don't need them.  Tricky but manageable if you know enough people who are normally, how should I put it, not normally in employment :)  Doing it legit will cripple you financially, doing it under the radar will mean your personal drawings disappearing in cash.  Lesser of two evils needs to be adopted, all things considered.

5) At times you can get treated like Baldrick by both the insurers and the end customers.

However having said all that, there are still reasons to go into the market but you would probably need to invest heavily.  No half-hearted attempts... you couldn't just buy a couple of dehums and start advertising the service.

I think JK gave a very good talk on the subject at the last CCDO

I would question whether it would be worth the risk, to be honest.  The only real market must surely be the "self insured" retail chains etc (as mentioned above) who wouldn't bother making a claim but find someone local themselves to deal with the odd flood etc.  Most of those would be pocket change jobs though.

If anyone thinks I'm talking bullocks I'll stand corrected, but that's my take on the situation having been in close contact with the the restoration market for many years :)

derek west

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 08:13:16 am »
thanks for all the constructive negativity on not doing a fire and flood course, and to be honest i totally agree with most of it, but to say i, or anyone else won't benefit from a course like this is way off the mark.

i know i won't be inundated with flood work once ive taken the course, thats a fact. but the fact is ive allready done flood work, all be it extraction only, the reason to do the course is......

1) confidence in doing the flood work ive all ready done with the advantage of offering good advice beyond the extraction stage
2) the chance to go beyond the extraction stage if it happens. (dib dib dob, be prepared)
3) i'll say it again, knowledge breeds confidence, not just in fire and flood but in everyday quoting, the more you know, the more you feel your worth.

now if those 3 points ive just made aren't worth the course fee and time, then i stand to be corrected, but the way i see it is, theres professional carpet cleaners and theres "we're only carpet cleaners" i know which one i am.

ps... ive done 4 floods to date, not a lot but i don't advertise it. just taking one of those floods past the extraction stage only would pay for my course fee. its really a no brainer.

pps... equipment can be hired so its not like i have to invest.

now, who wants to better them selves and have a good laugh at the same time.

jasonl

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 08:23:18 am »
Derek , for the time and ££ you will spend on getting fire and flood trained/qualified ,the return you will achieve just from jobs that you stumble across will more than give you a great return. I can guarantee you will be amazed at the jobs you have already seen as part of your carpet cleaning, but you will not have seen the earning opportunity from them .

In my opinion Jim is spot on with his post on the diffuculties of getting into the big ,regular meaty work, this does not matter , as you will still earn plenty in a year by merely being aware.

Several people on this forum have contacted me over the years and I have rented /sold equipment to them and given them REAL  training  and documentation .

The biggest aspect of Fire and Flood training is that it should be called awareness , not training , as each job is totally different and common sense has to prevail , and an ability to think of engineered methods to resolve situations is a must.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

derek west

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 08:34:23 am »
Derek , for the time and ££ you will spend on getting fire and flood trained/qualified ,the return you will achieve just from jobs that you stumble across will more than give you a great return. I can guarantee you will be amazed at the jobs you have already seen as part of your carpet cleaning, but you will not have seen the earning opportunity from them .

In my opinion Jim is spot on with his post on the diffuculties of getting into the big ,regular meaty work, this does not matter , as you will still earn plenty in a year by merely being aware.

Several people on this forum have contacted me over the years and I have rented /sold equipment to them and given them REAL  training  and documentation .

The biggest aspect of Fire and Flood training is that it should be called awareness , not training , as each job is totally different and common sense has to prevail , and an ability to think of engineered methods to resolve situations is a must.

thats what i was trying to get across, cheers J. ;D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 09:18:18 am »
When I first started my supplier who disappeared after 6 months had a Fire and Flood Manual for £49

With all the forms etc

I did not buy it

I believe John Flynn did

I think that would have been good enough

About a Year ago I did a Pub that had be vandalized by a window being broken and an outside hose put through the broken glass and turned on the hose. Half way through job local builder turns up in his Jaguar and said he was main contractor for Pub Chain and I needed to invoice him

I did get paid in 14 days

There was a TV Documentary about Chem dry Fire and Flood about 3 years ago.

It appeared to me job was more about taking out Funiture and Carpets  putting them in skip and throwing it away
Then Bringing in driers and dehumidifiers
Saw little restoration  apart from walls after Fire

Hope they had new for old.

I would have thought there was work with the victims who are underisured

But no doubt HSE issues come into play

derek west

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 02:56:17 pm »
thats 7 of us pencilled in, neil would make 8 and if Ian fancies it thats 9, anyone else fancy it?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 05:22:20 pm »
I would be happy to attend if we have an expert who can provide us with documentation

Guide Book

Etc

Needed for covering small jobs

For Instance I have thousands of caravans round me I never thought of burst pipes being a problem

My Flood jobs tend to be where plumbers have failed to connect pipes
 correctly when installing heating

But i would not pay £300

derek west

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 06:33:02 pm »
ian
you should change your name to maria carey, make that whitney houston, dya wanna limo to take you down there as well ;D

we've got 2 options

billy lakin

or flood school

i'll be contacting both this week to see whats what. be nice to see a few more interested.
like i said we've got 7 interested so far, plus neil and whitney.

12 of us would get the price down on the first option to around £180 for the 2 day course.
i'll contact the flood school tomorrow.