tonyoliver

a new spin on not today
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:27:32 am »
went from croydon to paddington yesterday on a booked in builders clean. last min call as per.
 got there on time 18 miles 3 hours traveling time. london traffic
and the site agent said we had them cleaned yesterday we dont need you  i was a pro and just walked away
so the journey home took two hours  plus £8 congestion charge and payed I disagreeistant wages............total loss  the man wasnt not even sorry.

so to the people who say not today  messers and the people on the forum say custy is king ect think of this post every not today is a loss some small some large mine was a days money  lost plus costs wages travel diesel and con charge plus today was unworkable so my real loss was two days peoplerwho mess us around they need to know just what it costs us both in money and fustration i now know why proper business people are so hard nosed we as a community need to be much more like the then and only then will we be seen as a proper industry and not to be messed around

Gav Camm lammy 283

Re: a new spin on not today
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 01:31:35 am »
invoice em for a daysmoney
i wouldnt bve messed about like that lad  :o :o
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:57:45 am »
what :o :o :o and you put up with that

Helen

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:16:17 am »
went from croydon to paddington yesterday on a booked in builders clean. last min call as per.
 got there on time 18 miles 3 hours traveling time. london traffic
and the site agent said we had them cleaned yesterday we dont need you  i was a pro and just walked away
so the journey home took two hours  plus £8 congestion charge and payed I disagreeistant wages............total loss  the man wasnt not even sorry.

so to the people who say not today  messers and the people on the forum say custy is king ect think of this post every not today is a loss some small some large mine was a days money  lost plus costs wages travel diesel and con charge plus today was unworkable so my real loss was two days peoplerwho mess us around they need to know just what it costs us both in money and fustration i now know why proper business people are so hard nosed we as a community need to be much more like the then and only then will we be seen as a proper industry and not to be messed around

good for you in not reacting badly.
Did you have a written agreement, signed order etc etc  from them? If so you may be able to get some compensation for your lost earnings. If not then there is no proof on either side that you were tasked to do the work. Site Agents tend to tie this sort of work up when they first open site, so maybe it waa not the site agent who agrred the work with you?
Unfortunately this sort of thing can happen to anyone in any industry, but thankfully not that often.
In particular with Commercial work, always get some form of written agreement, with works order number, even if it is an e-mail. Make sure the orderer has your T & C's (which should include canx details)
This wont guarantee you any payment if things go wrong, but may just deter someone taking the wotsit another time.  :)

Ian101

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 09:03:36 am »
very frustrating day for you  :o

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 09:09:09 am »
invoice em for a daysmoney
i wouldnt bve messed about like that lad  :o :o

Too right.
I would definitely try invoicing them with some kind of explanation letter.
Without T & Cs it would be hard to pursue it further but it's got to be worth a try.

Tom White

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:18:36 am »
i was a pro and just walked away

You sound like a decent guy, but being a pro doesn't mean being a doormat.

The guys on here are right, you ought to invoice them a fair amount for your time and expenditure. 

bobby p

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 09:22:12 am »
post up their name-so other lads can know to sting em or avoid em

leights

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:25:01 am »
you call ur self a pro... r u for real????

pathetic more like...

if you book in work with a contractor you should have at least too things done... one..... 20%up front, this norm covers running costs

too....you should have it clear that if the plug is pulled a canx chagre of no more than 47% of the original price agreed will paid when an invoice has been subbmited...

i bet he had a right laff at you in the pub..
sorry but harsh words are better than del boy bull sh i t.

count your losses and learn from your mistakes
better than all the rest

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 09:46:49 am »
being a pro doesn't mean being a doormat.

The most sensible thing I've ever heard you say

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 01:11:18 pm »
post up their name-so other lads can know to sting em or avoid em

It should be a new TV program.
Sting, bump, or avoid.

tonyoliver

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 04:53:14 pm »
lesson learned harsh words but thanks for your input lads
i recon an avarage one every week
i hear or i get an inapropioate comment relating to our social status as window cleaners  they see us as not being worth common decency and treat us accordingly. just clean say an office and they talk about w/c as if you are not there waiters ect are also seen as  invisible
 the ideas about  getting a contract before a job is  not easy due to how we get the work in they call we visit  but asking for upfront is fantastic but would it work? how does it work for you  canx fees sound great but would mrs smith pay up for a three bed semi?

leights

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 05:25:10 pm »
well its all business at the end of the day...

my company has core values, some of which are.

money up front on contract work.
canx charge only for contract.
mrs smith dont pay, ok, no worries, just say to her face, no worries its people like me who sleep well im alright and you should be ashamed of yourself for not paying. walk away head held high..

its worth joining the federation of small business  as they supply a letterhead worded as if its coming from the baillif or creditors, and all other advice, failing that, just be carefull who you do work for contract wise, or just dont even do contracts
better than all the rest

Helen

Re: a new spin on not today New
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 04:02:53 pm »
lesson learned harsh words but thanks for your input lads
i recon an avarage one every week

what one "turnaway per week"? If so I think you have to re-think the way you take on work

i hear or i get an inapropioate comment relating to our social status as window cleaners  they see us as not being worth common decency and treat us accordingly. just clean say an office and they talk about w/c as if you are not there waiters ect are also seen as  invisible

Ignore this if you hear it, read it or whatever. There are some who think this, but the majority DO NOT

the ideas about  getting a contract before a job is  not easy due to how we get the work in they call we visit,
then you must think about changing the way you take on work! "work with your customers" contracts can be in any form and are not hard to get from commercial work. Perhaps agreement is a better description for one off rush jobs. They take minutes to devise and can be set by you! All you have to do is type them up, fax/e-mail the customer and wait for the signed reply. If you don't get one you don't start out for the job easy as that!

but asking for upfront is fantastic but would it work?
Sometimes it cam sometimes it won't especially if it is a quick turnaround job

how does it work for you  canx fees sound great but would mrs smith pay up for a three bed semi?

we were on about commercial work with terms and conditions not domestic!