NBwcs

Brush lifespan
« on: October 05, 2021, 04:03:09 pm »
Following on from the recent brush thread, how do you know when it's time to change your brush? I change mine when I've lost the last bristle in the top corner. Mate of mine recently borrowed one of my old "finished" brushheads and couldn't understand why I'd replaced it. I get about 6 months use on average from the xline sill mono.

james peters

Re: Brush lifespan
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 05:52:18 pm »
Usually about 6 months.  I have been using the gardiners extreme sill  brush for about 2 months and  its soon becoming my favourite. I think its their lightest brush. its medium soft bristle and find it to be good on gutters also.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 05:53:39 pm »
When it starts looking like a banana. Rocking on the glass. 2-3 months Gardiner Superlite flocked. Cold user.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 08:48:46 am »
I bin my xtreme brushes after 3-4 months usually....my ultimate brush though is over 6 months old now..it looks like it will last forever!😄👍
price higher/work harder!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 10:41:45 am »
How do you make an extreme last 3-4 months, especially with hot?

NWH

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 03:19:59 pm »
I alternate them but I’d struggle to make an Extreme last that long if it never came off that particular gooseneck especially with hot water,you are better buying a few at a time and swapping them after a few days or it just seems like you’re killing em.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 04:06:53 pm »
Gardiners ive always had 5/6 months out of the sill brush.  Currently trying a different brand but missing the 1.4mm jets from gardiners.

I do have a brush i still use that was given to  me in 2011/12
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 04:57:05 pm »

xtreme stiff bristle version and i alternate them....i also run boiling hot water over them at the end of the day if they go out of shape.it straightens them right out.

tlwcs

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 05:12:06 pm »
Gardiners ive always had 5/6 months out of the sill brush.  Currently trying a different brand but missing the 1.4mm jets from gardiners.

I lost a cill brush in 2011/12
Nice to see you posting again JP

Splash & dash

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 05:46:59 pm »
2-3 months Gardiners supreame  stiff using hot water

dd

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 06:14:57 pm »
I never really wear brushes out. I used an extreme hybrid as my main brush for the best part of a year and it shows no signs of wear.

Current brush of choice is supreme dupont, used for over a year, again no obvious sign of wear.

I tend to just use the weight of the brush on the window.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 07:08:01 pm »
I tried a supreme DuPont and it was one of the worst brushes I’ve ever used.

dd

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 07:44:40 pm »
They are not suitable for use with hot water.

Being as you regularly extol the virtues of hot water I am surprised how many brushes you say you have tried that are not compatible with hot water.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 07:46:57 pm »

I lost a cill brush in 2011/12
Nice to see you posting again JP

Not a sill brush you "gave" me lol

Was a single trim white gardiners brush with fans
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Simon Trapani

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 08:30:34 pm »

xtreme stiff bristle version and i alternate them....i also run boiling hot water over them at the end of the day if they go out of shape.it straightens them right out.

But it’s not lasting 3-4 months if your alternating  it is it? More like half that time.

I would guess OP means one brush used 5 days a week.

NWH

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 09:40:00 pm »
They are not suitable for use with hot water.

Being as you regularly extol the virtues of hot water I am surprised how many brushes you say you have tried that are not compatible with hot water.

Regardless of what you get told by the people who sell them the vast majority of brushes are not compatible with proper hot water I’m not talking  about water heated up with a kettle and left to get cooler over the course of the day,water on demand with a good working diesel heater should have a fairly constant temperature and will sort the men out from the boys as far as brushes are concerned.
The Gardiner flocked small and wide brush stand up to it as does the wide taper tech the Xline stands up when new but fades away after days of use with really hot water,saying that it’s too heavy to compare to the above 2 brushes as a comparison.

the king

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2021, 05:32:45 pm »
Extreme brushes last me 3 or 4 weeks i then tryed the stiff but find it to stiff im a ultmate user they last 11 months

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 09:08:56 am »

But it’s not lasting 3-4 months if your alternating  it is it? More like half that time.

Who uses one brush for all work?I don't....I alternate between xtreme and supreme brush mainly...sometimes a 35cm ultimate brush too for an artwork clean I do.....a flocked sl brush is also used for delicate yearly or bi annual cleans

Stoots

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 09:53:28 am »

Who uses one brush for all work?I don't....I alternate between xtreme and supreme brush mainly...sometimes a 35cm ultimate brush too for an artwork clean I do.....a flocked sl brush is also used for delicate yearly or bi annual cleans

Me, no need to alternate brushes just extra fannying that.

Just use the lightest brush for everything why not  ???

Extreme stiff for me. Last a year.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 10:53:01 am »
Too much faffing what a few seconds lol and as for a year m8 blimey I bet that looks nice on the end of a pole when that years nearly up.