Cloverleaf

Your husbands a carpet cleaner!
« on: December 05, 2003, 11:53:32 pm »
A few times recently, my wifes new friends asked what does your husband do? She replys a carpet cleaner!
And the responce.... ohh! looking down :( (maybe he's subhuman). She was proud to say, but he earns good money :o

She came home last night to tell me this and I said to her,
how much are your friends earning £6 an hour and she said yes.......This gets my back up.

I used to be an injection moulding technician (plasiccs) quite a sought after job with plenty of potential and much more grey matter required for programing machines and robots with many years of experiance.

I now earn twice as much(atleast as I used to) have more spare time, have as many cups of coffee as I like and as many holidays as I like. But the best I enjoy my job, with no or very little pressure.

I said to my misses, ask your friends if they can earn £200+ in one day! ;D

MICHAEL_GAYTON

Re: Your husbands a carpet cleaner!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 12:12:56 am »
;D Be proud and loud your the man with the big stick
no foremans /managers . just doing a job that pays good.
mick
ps you cannot beat a good kip in the van go home tell the wife what a hard day you had! :o
ULTRA 4 CLUB
four systems one operator

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 01:11:09 am »
there is something seriously wrong with peoples values. my wifes a nurse, everyone has total respect for nurses.

Nobody can say that my job is anywhere near as important and difficult as hers, yet I earn more than double her wage, footballers earn 20grand a week for just kicking a ball.

no one will have any respect for carpet cleaners no matter how much we earn, its just not seen as a serious job.

but as long as you respect yourself, thats all that matters

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

John_Flynn

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 01:15:49 am »
Mike, that was your second BEST ever post!!

Doh, forgot what your best one was. :-[ :-[ :-[
I get better looking each day!!

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 11:26:11 am »
Just say you own a small cleaning business and leave it at that.

Its true whay you say though, people do judge you by what you do.

Derek

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 11:46:39 am »
Hi

This question does pop up from time to time and I deliberately answer " I am a cleaner"

As you correctly say the faces drop and you are looked upon as the lowest of the low...Do I care...not a bit.

All that I have has been earned honestly and with a great deal of sweat

Derek

Gary_Syers

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 02:33:33 pm »
I love this one I say i'm CC and the face changes  :(.
when they say what did you do before that I say Bank Manager. What difference in their expression  :o. Suddenly they are interested in what i do and why.

Gary

Cloverleaf

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 05:24:26 pm »
A kip in the van? ;)

Had a few of these, realy annoying when the phone rings.

I remember when I was employed, if there was a chance to go out on a trip in the company car or van, everybody would hope they would be picked!
Such a luxury being a CARPET CLEANER ;D
John

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003, 05:38:03 pm »
I was a Plumber 20 years ago, before getting into Carpet cleaning and I would never change my job for anything. At least if I get wet now , the water is warm and has no NASTY bits in it :-X Now I tell people that I run my own Carpet cleaning business and most people are okay but some ask how many people I employ ( to take it further >:() If they get too snotty, I just say that I do all the work myself so I can keep £200- £300 a day. That normally shuts them up ;). They dont know what I pay out for chemicals/van/machines/fuel/parking/tools/stationary/computers/printing/advertising and headache tablets  :'(

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2003, 07:11:57 pm »
For my sins i used to be a driving instructor.

the cost of training, number of tests and exams and time taken to become a qualified instructor. the continued re testing and grading to stay qualified and all we got from most parents was "we can do that just as well" and "how much for a lesson?"

I'm used to people looking down at what i do, but know i work less hours a day, no evenings, no weekends and have lots more holidays. Oh yes and earn alot more!!

But who says money isnt everything :D

lets just stick together we know we are good and proud of what we do. who wants to be a commuter going to the same place and doing the very same thing every day

Nick

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2003, 08:10:30 pm »
Someone once said to me that money cannot buy you happiness.............................fair enough.
But I can be the best dressed misery in town ;D
I am proud of what I do and so are my family ::)
DO I CARE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF MY JOB :-/

John_Flynn

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2003, 08:20:37 pm »
I just do NOT care a damm what people think about us CC's, bet they don't start work at 9.30am and are home and done before 1.30pm.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote "A few times recently, my wifes new friends asked what does your husband do? She replys a carpet cleaner!"

I would not go as far as calling these people friends  >:( >:( >:(
I
I get better looking each day!!

Cloverleaf

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2003, 10:34:05 pm »
Hmmmm, some reaction from my first post!

Yea ok we can earn good money. It takes guts to start off and take the risk of becoming self employed.

It takes a person with enthusiasm, motivation, hard work and a grey matter to be sucsesfull.

Marketing that works (learned along the way), image, training, experiance and confidence all help to be sucsessfull.

This is something that many 9 to 5 people lack.

When I left my full time job my mates at work were saying, your lucky to get out of here.

I say, if you dont take the risk, now't will happen.
John

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2003, 11:26:32 pm »
I always say, I am in the cleaning business, but I really dont care what anyone thinks. I worked hard to build up a business from nothing as I am sure most of you all did.

DP

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2003, 04:59:29 am »
I once told a table full of merry "ex pats" who had been boasting about their boats and villa’s on a holiday in Tenerife when asked “and what is it that you do”, I said “Im a Tax Inspector”. They all leaped off their chairs, spilling their drinks and started hurling abuse.

I expected a reaction, but not quite that bad. It took the rest of the evening to convince them that I wasn’t and an awful lot of free drinks. However the subject of money or employment was never bought up again. I don’t think they were ever quite sure after that.

Perhaps not the brightest thing I ever did, but definitely a KODAK moment.  ;D
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

Alex

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2003, 12:46:23 pm »
This hasa happened to me a couple of times, however, like Derek said "who cares"!

I work bloody hard for my money and I have a sh*$ load of customers who are happy with my results and I pay my taxes and live a nice life.

I worked as a sales rep for Hewlett Packard, after about 9 nines of crap and stress I really happy I left and do what I do now.