DP

Re: insurance work
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2003, 04:34:11 am »
However I do agree that training is a MUST and that in respect of this, the BDMA have a role to play, the problem is it goes no where near far enough and simply clouds the division between the competent and in-competent.

When all said and done I really cant complain as I have earned a lot of money from the results, however guess who has had to pay for the mistakes.  

There is a long way to go before the BDMA can make any claim to autonomy in respect of qualifying newbie’s into the world of insurance claims  

I’ll elaborate on your statement regarding Rainbow being appointed with RSA as the only true nationwide franchise. Rainbow have currently about 165 franchises (to which I know no expansions are planned) as apposed to Chem-Dry's 650 who were just one of the 6 kicked off the panel. All of these contracts are awarded on a number of issues, one being the amount of money which is agreed to be paid back to the insurers for the contract, which is public, and not one of those under the table things. Another issue within this contract was the element of control insurers would be allowed, including the use of "trackers" in all the vehicles.

You are right that Rainbow have just been bought out by ISS, who previously bought out Ark & General (a commercial claims company) who I used to work for as their London Regional Manager some years ago.

You are also 100% right in your reasoning about the big change round, anyone who thinks it couldn’t be that simple, you would be wrong , it invariably is!

Its also true the when we have the national floods again the Damage Management companies are the first to run out of kit, and I have about £100k's worth sitting in a unit costing me a fortune in storage.

So if anyone can break down some doors, you have an instant partner, No I dont want to sell it just yet,  :)

This must be the longest post yet, will I get the record or perhaps a stuffed (sorry live) parrot, Norwegian blue I think.  ;)
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

woodman

Re: insurance work
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2003, 08:50:42 pm »
Hi DP

Very interesting post pretty much agree with most of what you say although I am sure that you would agree that a regulator,bacause that in effect is what the BDMA will become,  that will oversee and make sure that correct procedures are carried out can only be a good thing for the industry as a whole.

For a long time we have been calling for licensed Estate Agents,Cab Firms,Health Centres etc to control shoddy business practice by the Roy Rodgers that are out there and god knows we have plenty of cowboys in our game.

At least if there is a disaster caused by Chem-Dry,Rainbow the client has recourse and the Insurance company has the clout to make sure it's dealt swiftly and effectively , such as appointing some one like yourself if need be.

If  the insured uses there own source and he cocks up he can do a runner never to be seen again, leaving Mrs Jones to pick up the pieces.

The BDMA do not carry out any training thats up to the individual or the franchise to supply  but I can tell you that it is now required that
all franchised operators take and pass the exam to be able to receive restoration work.

A little knowledge you say is dangerous, no knowledge at all is lethal.I like you have seen operators cause major disasters,I once literally pleaded with a guy not to install propane heaters into a domestic property which he wanted dry in a hurry, only to find he had which resulted in the doors catching alight which then set the whole ground floor ablaze.

At least having attending training and having to pass an exam we all can learn how to deal with certain situations in the correct manner and aslo, which is even more important at times, know when to admit that we are not competent  enough in carrying out a particular task and pass it over, to DP of course ;)

DP

Re: insurance work New
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2003, 04:33:29 pm »
Lol, I should be so lucky. Litigating is still the worst type of work, and on the whole I hate it, kind of an insult really, won’t give you the job to start with, but then ask you to sort it out if it goes wrong. The only reason I still do it, is to keep my foot in the door (so to speak).

There are many variants of this type of work from cleaning a carpet, to reinstating an entire factory, with all of it buildings IT systems, production plant, stocks, products etc.

It is difficult to look at any one topic in a global manor. There is without question area's where the BDMA have an important presence and area's where they have none ie high end commercials. Unless something has changed in the last 4 months.

The BDMA and franchise companies (along with others like Munters) share at this time a symbiosis which has proved extremely beneficial to all parties.

The true relevance of this has remained exactly where it was intended (which is the bit that worries me). How does an individual in the field who is "trained" and examined by the BDMA (by association) achieve the complete opposite or consistently fall short of what they were employed to do. These people are not idiots just unaware of the hazard’s.

Of course we need training like every other profession and any governing body is better then none. In light of recent events, I am sure that the BDMA is addressing this sudden favoring of the few by insurers in respect of supporting all its other members who have invested and supported both them and insurers.

It must however be proving difficult as the favored few are also senior or bulk members
Haven’t heard anything to date yet though!

Lets hope that standards continue to improve as without training and examination there would be no hope of that at all.

The propane is a common mistake especialy as it contains 87% water by volume (or there about's) which defeats the object anyway.
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!